Very Important Safety Code Changes - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #1

Total Props: 57
Very Important Safety Code Changes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just opened this in my email today note the new section refering to full size air shows. Looks like we are now static display only.

From the MAAC web site http://www.maac.ca/view_news.php?itm=311

Date last modified : September 11, 2008
Created by : Richard Lyle Barlow -- 5744L
Subject : Revisions to safety code
News: Please be aware that the Board of Directors of MAAC has passed a revised section of the safety code that was developed and agreed to by the safety committee.. The section refers to the ALL CATEGORIES information.

There are significant differences from the previous version, so all members are asked to read the new document carefully. Remember, your insurance is in effect if, and only if, you are following the safety code.

Thanks are extended to the safety committee members and the insurance committee members, each of whom made contributions.

The new section follows:

1 ALL CATEGORIES

When operating any model including, but not limited to, model aircraft, model rocket, model watercraft, model vehicle or other model of a similar nature (collectively referred to as a “Model”), MAAC members shall adhere to the following:

1. I shall not operate a Model in competition or in the presence of spectators until it has been proven airworthy and/or safely operational by a previous successful test.

2. I shall review, understand and abide by the MAAC Safety Code, the specific rules of my special interest category and the safety rules of the flying or other site I use, all as may be amended or modified from time to time. For greater certainty, I understand that where the specific rules or a specific interest category contain easements, enhancements or other like variances from the MAAC Safety Code, such easements, enhancements or other like variances form part of the MAAC Safety Code for all activities of that special interest category, and I shall review, understand and abide by the same;

3. I shall not operate a Model in a careless, reckless and/or dangerous manner or in a manner, at a place and/or in conditions that may pose an unreasonable risk of harm, damage, injury or death to a person or persons and/or property;.

4. I shall not operate a Model while under the influence of alcohol or judgement impairing drugs.

5. I shall not operate a Model carrying, or with the intent to activate, Pyrotechnic and/or explosive devices.

6. I shall not launch projectiles from the ground with the intent of damaging or destroying a model aircraft or in a manner that may pose an unreasonable risk of damage or destruction to a model aircraft;.

7. I shall not operate a Model over a maximum weight of 35 kilograms including fuel & all liquids.

8. I shall not operate any model aircraft including but not limited to, model rockets, model helicopters or other models of a similar nature (“Model Aircraft”), at a man-carrying piloted aircraft airshow.

9. I shall not operate any Model Aircraft at any event that specifically invites the general public to attend without an approved sanction from M.A.A.C.

10. I shall comply with any directives, policies, rules, regulations or information of any nature that may be posted by MAAC from time to time on its website
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Re: Very Important Safety Code Changes

Hi,

Regarding item 6, does this mean one can not launch a model from the ground that chases another aircraft (for ribbons) and can destroy/damage another aircraft? Such as combat. I think this needs clarification.

Also, can the MAAC Board of Directors pass rules and regulations without the ratification of the majority of the members? I must admit I'm not up to date with the MAAC constitution and need to start reading!

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0

I think they are referring to rockets, stones, gunfire (rifles, sthotguns etc).
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Smile Re: Very Important Safety Code Changes

Yikes!!

Number 5....is it ok to have a small sparkler on a wingtip...is it considered fireworks or explosive?
Number 8... is it ok if the full size airshow has only "woman-carrying" planes?

Last edited by ronnieo; 09-15-2008 at 09:54 AM.
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20

Hi Wayne;

Item 5, I have always wondered how KWFD did the Saturday night show with Scott and his heli.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #6

Total Props: 57

One might want to post thier questions to the chairman of the safety committee as they seem to be steering things with these recomendations to the board.

Attention: Committee Chair, Larry Fitzpatrick

http://www.maac.ca/committees/maac_committee.php?cm=33
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

[QUOTE=ronnieo;549730]Yikes!!

Number 5....is it ok to have a sparkler on a wingtip...is it considered fireworks or explosive? ... QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrotechnics

You can do it. Just don't expect to be covered by insurance.

Last edited by Ken Currell; 09-15-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19

[QUOTE=Ken Currell;549743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieo View Post
Yikes!!

Number 5....is it ok to have a sparkler on a wingtip...is it considered fireworks or explosive? ... QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrotechnics

You can do it. Just don't expect to be covered by insurance.
ok...nuff said..it must be a pyrotechnical... ok..what about those 125000 rpm gas firebreathin 250 mph turbines...is it not pyrotechnical?...just kidding...won't go there!!
Flame on..pardon the pun.LOL
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
oldpilot
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: David E. Arenburg
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1

Attention MAAC-
Next rule change will be -- Please call MAAC office before flying any time!!!!!!!!
MAAC will have opeerators on duty 24-/7 to obtain permission. I sent the same thing to MAAC office !!

Last edited by oldpilot; 09-15-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: To include
oldpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
Perpetualrepair
RCC Contributor

I am: Jay C
Radio of choice:
DX18,DX7, JR XP6102
# of RCs: 14

"too many rules curtail enjoyment and breed discontent"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in