ridergary
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Gary A.
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 40

Total Props: 0
Radio Service

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I need to send a radio and some receivers to Horizon Hobby for service and a general check up and was wondering what the best procedure for doing this would be. I already have the form required to be filled out but I was wondering what information should be written on the outside of the package to make shipping through customs as painless as possible (I know anything going through customs is always a crap shoot). Usually you need to declare a value for customs and insurance, but I was trying to stay away from paying duties or taxes on this value on the return trip after repairs. Any specific hints to make things flow smoothly would be appreciated....Thanks....Gary
ridergary is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Horizon is usually pretty good about marking their packages as repaired items....

That said, I generally send mine via Pinnacle Hobbies, they get a better deal on shipping as they generally can package a few items together.
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #3

Total Props: 57
Re: Radio Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridergary
I need to send a radio and some receivers to Horizon Hobby for service and a general check up and was wondering what the best procedure for doing this would be. I already have the form required to be filled out but I was wondering what information should be written on the outside of the package to make shipping through customs as painless as possible (I know anything going through customs is always a crap shoot). Usually you need to declare a value for customs and insurance, but I was trying to stay away from paying duties or taxes on this value on the return trip after repairs. Any specific hints to make things flow smoothly would be appreciated....Thanks....Gary
Ship expedited parcel, thats the cheapest and offers a tracking number....although its not the fastest.

I generally write something like toy airplane parts returned for warranty service on the package, and dont usually have issues....although the potential is always there

I also never insure the package, as I feel secure enough with the tracking number that it wont get lost.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Dennis 9412
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis DuBois
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR XP9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
Radio Service

Hi Gary:

Don't know whether you are aware or not, but Flitecraft Hobbies in Kitchener is an authorized JR repair center.

I have my 8103 and 3 receivers in there right now getting them checked over. I spoke to the technician, Steve Gray, and he said that if any warranty work is required, they will send them to Horizon for you. Any normal checkover work can be done in house.

Give Steve a call at (519) 742-7141, maybe your work can be done without having to cross the border.

Dennis
CFI Orillia Aeromodelers
Dennis 9412 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Good to know. I was going to ask this very question myself.
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
Dennis 9412
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis DuBois
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR XP9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
Flitecraft

For those interested, Flite Craft's address is as follows:

Flite Craft Model Co.
1595 Victoria St., N.
Kitchener, Ontario
N2B 3E6
Voice - 519 -742-7141
Fax - 519 - 749-1315

Oh, and by the way, I am not in any way affiliated with Flite Craft, just like to deal with a Canadian when I can!!

Dennis
CFI Orillia Aeromodelers
Dennis 9412 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:15 AM   #7
lewdfinger
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Keith D.
Radio of choice:
Aurora 9
# of RCs: 7

The last time I sent my 9Z to Futaba for repairs (antenna came off in my hand - isn't that nice!) I made the mistake of sending it via Purolator, because It was the beginning of summer and I wanted it back mucho presto. I filled out the (multiple) required forms and claimed a reasonable replacement value, because I wanted to insure it ($800 transmitter). I wrote -"Return for warranty repair" all over it. This was just after the whole terrorist thing and shipping goods cross-border was akin to a body-cavity search at every turn. You should have seen the friggin' form...

Anyway, because it was made in Japan I had to pay about $130US Duty PLUS the shipping PLUS the raperage, I mean brokerage fees. Of course I didn't get the good news until my radio was in some border warehouse and it was too late to change my mind. I actually called US customs afterwards, and the agent was extremely helpful (really). She said to file an objection with the port authority within 90 days and I might get it refunded, but I had missed the deadline. Purolator was of no help whatsoever.

I would have been better of using expedited mail and taking my chances like Chad says. Would almost have been cheaper to buy a 9C and tell them to keep the 9Z. I hate couriers, and I hate that I was so dumb.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:39 AM   #8
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1
That's great information about Flitecraft. I have an older JR PCM 10 that works fine, but, I have never replaced the internal memory battery and was dreading sending it over the border to have it serviced. If Flitecraft can do it and give it the once over lightly it will save a lot of hassle. Thanks for posting this tidbit of important information.
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in