Bumblebee ST550 Newbie Questions - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
alpine0007
RCC Apprentice

I am: Robert C
Radio of choice:
dx8
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
Bumblebee ST550 Newbie Questions

I've just purchased and assembled a Bumblebee ST 550 model, After assembling and Binding all TX and Flight controller I find that I can't get enough power to get it off the ground or even to hover in the air.

Not sure What I can do to achieve flight.

the only thing I've done is purchase a 4200 30C 3S 11.1v battery over the recommended 2200 30C 3S 11.1v battery.

1) Is There a better Scorpion model of brushless Motor and ESC I can buy that would allow me to gain flight?

2) Is there a better lighter battery I should be using for payload as well as extended flight??

3) Am I possibly overlooking something? Size of propellers??

4) Is there a model of Giro I can add to the Onboard autopilot controller of the Bumblebee??
alpine0007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #2
Mark L @ FL

Re: Bumblebee ST550 Newbie Questions

Assume this was a complete kit with motors, ESCs, etc? What are the specs for the motors and props you are using on it?

Did you do the throttle calibration of each ESCs to your Rx?

The larger Lipo could be part of the issue although it "should" be able to lift and 4200.

Not sure what you mena by an addon gyro, the flight controller handles all of this. Are you using the Bumblebee controller currently? It is basically an OEM NAZA so already has gyros and accels, you don't add additional gyros to multirotor flight controllers.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
alpine0007
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
dx8

I'm a newbie at this.. But I do have electronic and automation background.

I purchased it as a complete kit. the ST assist program does not mention calibration for ESC's

All I can see is 930kv on the motors and I'm not sure what the ESC's are rated for.. Don't know if they are 20amp rated or other. Chines shipper has own logo on most parts.

Not much explanation on how to manipulate roll, gain' vertical and stuff for the autopilote.. Plus even less info on how to program for using a DX8 spectrum radio either..lol
Old 07-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
alpine0007
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
dx8

PS: I did as the diagram stated for rotation of motors for m1 through m4 by switch wires around for ccw and cw.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
Mark L @ FL

There is a lot of learning curve to multirotors for sure, especially when using no name Chinese parts and kits unfortunately.

Assuming the kit is properly match component wise since it was a bundle, I would start with the ESC throttle calibration. Same as you would on a fixed wing setup – connect each ESC individually to the Rx throttle channel, power on the Rx with the Tx with throttle at max, wait for the beeps, then lower the throttle. Do this for each ESCs one at a time. This will set them all to have the same throttle end point.

Beyond that make sure all the motors are spinning the correct way and that the props are all on the right direction as well.

930kv motors is fairly typical for that size quad. What size props is it using?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
Mark L @ FL

You might look here for some info on the bumblebee:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=bumblebe
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=bumblebe
Old 07-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
Mark L @ FL

Typically the gains would be setup in the config software, at least they are on the NAZA but not sure if Bumblebee using the similar config as well or not.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
Mark L @ FL

This may be helpful also:
Old 07-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
alpine0007
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
dx8

I'm at work right now, but They are about 6" or so in length.. and yes I mounted them correctly and they all do push air to ground..

I did notice vibration whistling sound from props as I increased the throttle and did notice they did not seem at the same speed either.

Is there a YouTube video on calibrating the ecs's to Rx or some kind of guide.. Most I could find was some info with DX7, but again nothing I've noticed in regards to calibrating the ESC's
Old 07-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #10
alpine0007
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
dx8

yes.. I did use that video for programing.. but it makes no mention of ESC's Cal.

It did help me by the Attitude and Manual part well..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in