Mandatory Gas Engine Electronic Kill Switch - Page 12 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

View Poll Results: Do you support this recommendation?
Yes 43 37.39%
No 72 62.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #111
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34
Re: Mandatory Gas Engine Electronic Kill Switch

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
Can you possibly be that ignorant of a whole group of modelers who fly old time engines?????????????????????????????????????????
I going to yell this out so you can hear this in Ont. As I said before I'm hoping this gets passed at the AGM and then goes to the safety committee to sort out the details.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #112
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin King
Radio of choice:
12x
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 44

Mike why did you ask us if you are just going to do it anyway???

The poll shows a majority of modelers DO NOT want this...

This is why people are posting ways to try to avoid MAAC. Someone makes a suggestion asks for input. Belittles all the input, and does it anyway.

If you really want to find a solution listen to what everyone is saying.... and then act on that... I offered to help find a middle but your still going for the jugular so forget it.

Last edited by YoungestPiperCub; 03-08-2010 at 03:01 PM.
YoungestPiperCub is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #113
1THEPALMER
RCC Contributor

I am: fred f

Total Props: 2

Big gassers are that dangerous!!!!!!!!
Lets just limit model/engine size. Say 2 pounds all up flying weight and .35CC displacement???
And teach me how a range check on 2.4 will make me "safe"
1THEPALMER is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #114
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
Absolutely, go for it....there are only a narrow minded 60% not in favor.....Ron

You are right Ron this may not get approved at the AGM. But as Chad Northeast said in a earlier post

"Its only a matter of time before engine kills are mandatory on all aircraft. Someone will lose a finger, or hand or worse, and insurance claim will be made, and voila! Except it won't come from MAAC, but probably the insurer"

Hopefully the MAAC executive will see through all the rhetoric on this thread and take the information and make a informed decision. Sometimes management and governments have to make decisions that aren't popular but in the end do benefit the greater good.

This thread did accomplish something. It brought out good discussion on the merits of a engine kill system and did lots of educating. I learnt some things during this discussion.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #115
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungestPiperCUb View Post
Mike why did you ask us if you are just going to do it anyway???

The poll shows a majority of modelers DO NOT want this...

This is why people are posting ways to try to avoid MAAC. Someone makes a suggestion asks for input. Belittles all the input, and does it anyway.

If you really want to find a solution listen to what everyone is saying.... and then act on that... I offered to help find a middle but your still going for the jugular so forget it.
Lets be very clear about this, this isn't my decision so I can't force it done anybodies throat. There is a process within MAAC that has to be follewed and I respect that process. I can only make the recommendation and then it goes to a vote at the AGM. The MAAC executive makes the decision through a democratic process.

You offered to help educate and I applauded you for that. Not many people will step up to the plate and do something like that in MAAC. You may want to look for another reason not to do write a article as the reasons you gave aren't legitimate.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #116
mjws
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mike S

Total Props: 0

I hope you propose that they make mandatory servo rules, and mandatory battery rules. Perhaps a mandatory 2 week course on how to program a radio. While you're at it ensure everything older than a couple years is discarded as unsafe.

This is a very thin line you are treading requiring inspections and enforcement on model aircraft. How about a licensing body to fly and a personal physical and visual requirement as well. This can only end badly, and most of us do not want to see inspections and waiver requirements on what may be simple gasoline, glow, or electric planes. To differentiate based on fuel is meaningless.

I run optical kills. I can deal with insurance requirements. However this type of motion proposed from within is ludicrous. We are certain to have more than enough rules to be imposed on us in the future. Why on earth should we bring it on ourselves. I sincerely hope there are enough people in attendance to oppose this vigorously.

Mike
mjws is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #117
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Now you are using some remote examples of why this won't work. Do you actually still fly with this engine?

And is it possible to get a letter of exemption from the local flying club for the remote situations you have mentioned.
Mike, there are plenty of guys, including myself who love to run and fly old time ignition engines. The boys down in SWOOT are going to love this...

You see, in my opinion, you dont make a huge statement like you have done, then go and say "the guys in the safety committee can hammer out the details AFTER this passes" or " cant you get an exemption from your local club for that"... thats doing it backwords, but I am getting the impression you are not going to admit this is not as simple as you might have liked it to be.

ANyhow, I dont know what else to say, or how differently I can say the same thing. You dont want to understand, thats the problem I think.

Regards,
AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #118
mjws
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mike S

Heh. See Mike you got me worked up enough to post after years around here lurking.
mjws is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #119
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic View Post
Mike, there are plenty of guys, including myself who love to run and fly old time ignition engines. The boys down in SWOOT are going to love this...

You see, in my opinion, you dont make a huge statement like you have done, then go and say "the guys in the safety committee can hammer out the details AFTER this passes" or " cant you get an exemption from your local club for that"... thats doing it backwords, but I am getting the impression you are not going to admit this is not as simple as you might have liked it to be.

ANyhow, I dont know what else to say, or how differently I can say the same thing. You dont want to understand, thats the problem I think.

Regards,
AJC
But I have offered compromises, just not the ones you want.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #120
ISGUNN
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ian G.
Radio of choice:
Frsky

I'm a bit confused now Mike by your efforts to ADD to the rules.I remember a few years ago at an AZM that you felt a vast majority of RULES in MAAC and the safety code were designed by grey haired little old ladies.You felt most of the rules should be thrown out.Your proposal is good for a recommendation.
I find it interesting that you have done an about face in such a short time on rules.
Andrew is also correct in that you should not pass the buck to the safety committee to do the work trying to make a vaige suggestion work.I wish you luck on this one.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
ISGUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in