What vehicle do I purchase? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 04-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Re: What vehicle do I purchase?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narly1 View Post
Let me start by stating that this post is meant to inform, not deride.

As far as racing classes go, there is a difference between stadium trucks and short course (also known as CORR) trucks.

Here are the main differences and similarities:

1. Stadium trucks are open wheel, the tires on short course trucks are tucked underneath the body.

2. The two classes use different styles of tire.

3. Stadium trucks are exclusively 2WD, short course trucks are available in both 2WD and 4WD versions.

4. Short course trucks are longer in wheelbase that stadium trucks.

5. Short course trucks are generally more durable than stadium trucks as they are outfitted with front and rear bumpers. Unless somebody adds them aftermarket, stadiums trucks come standard with minimal front and rear impact protection. Also the bigger bodies on the short course trucks tend to spread out any impact forces.

6. Stadium truck has been around quite a long time, short course trucks are a relatively new development, I think about 4 years ago they first came out.

7. Many short course truck designs are based on stadium truck chassis. For example the Team Associated SC10 shares many common parts with the Team Associated T4. The SC10 chassis uses the T4 pan with a longer front bulkhead and rear T-plate to extend the wheelbase.

8. Stadium trucks handle more precisely than short course trucks.

Bottom line:

Can you have fun with either type? YES!!!

Can you race either type? YES!!!

One other comment, both short course and stadium trucks fare about the same with respect to what they can negotiate terrain/running surface wise. The ideal running surface is pavement or dirt. Due to their lower ground clearance they get hung up on, or at least slowed down, by taller grass.

Hope this helps,

Narly1

P.S. There is an indoor rock crawling comp in Mississauga on April 17th at GTA Hobbies which is located at Dixie & the 401. I will likely be attending.
Thank you very much for your informative input on this subject. You probably had no problem telling that I am absolutely new to RC cars/trucks and therefor quite shy on the knowledge of such. It's great that someone with knowledge of these things will chime in and share your knowledge to help new comers to RC cars/trucks etc. Thank you again my friend.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in