Fedex Priority shipping from HobbyKing - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 10-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
Fedex Priority shipping from HobbyKing

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Has anyone tried ordering Lipos from HobbyKing lately? I last ordered some in July and got them shipped Air Mail. Now I see the only option for shipping Lipos to Canada is FedEx Priority. I'm afraid there might be some duty charges or they may not ship to box numbers. The shipping starts at $19 ish and goes up slightly when getting bigger packages. A 1 kg order of Lopos is around $23 ish. So although it is expensive for a single battery it's not bad on a bigger order. I would just like to hear how others have made out before I place a $100 order.

Thanks. George

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31
Re: Fedex Priority shipping from HobbyKing

I've had recent HK orders shipped from China by Fedex.

Both got here in a few days, which is awesome. On the first one I got a bill for $17, which amounted to $10 in brokerage fees, and the rest was sales tax. I didn't get a bill at all for the second one. Seems it is hit and miss as far as that goes.

To put that in perspective I just bought a second hand but new in box airframe out of the US with a value of $200. Buyer wanted to ship UPS, so I thought what the heck, worst case scenario is about $10 brokerage and sales tax. Really, I was hoping because it was second hand that border services wouldn't charge tax. Wow was I wrong, sales tax plus a $58 brokerage fee. What a @#$%$ scam...brokerage was significantly higher than shipping cost. I will never, ever, ever, ever ship by UPS or request a shipment by UPS, and I'll tell everyone the same.

I understand that businesses need to be profitable, but their fee is massively out of line with their competitors and they totally blind side you with it. Your only option at that point is pay it or return to sender and pay shipping again to get it back a different way...they know which you'll choose.
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

What was the total of your order before you got charged $17?
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-manz35 View Post
What was the total of your order before you got charged $17?
I think it was only around $60...I'm pretty sure they charge $10 plus the 13% sales tax, if at all. So, you could pretty easily figure out the worst case scenario for an order. The only thing I'm not sure about is if that $10 goes up with higher order values...maybe some others can chime in...pretty sure Revolectrix is shipping by FedEx as well.
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
rod22
RCC Apprentice

I am: steve h
Radio of choice:
aurora 9 dx7
# of RCs: 12

hi guys, here's a link i came across as i too have been by both ups & fedex across the us border and was wondering about shipping lipos overseas. http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-br...ting-avoid-it/

Last edited by rod22; 10-20-2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: left word out
rod22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #6
Scale Freak

Total Props: 0

I recently had an order from HK, 5 lipos and a few other bits, total order was just over $200.00, shipping was around $35.37 Fed Ex customs fee was $18.00
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
movierunner
RCC Noob

I am: Bob C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX5e > DX6i
# of RCs: 2

Been years since I had anything sent through Fedex. The once and only time got a brokerage fee of $45.00!!! so only order stuff that wil be shipped through the US postal servive or from Canada.
movierunner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
tporter416
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX12
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmith View Post
I think it was only around $60...I'm pretty sure they charge $10 plus the 13% sales tax, if at all. So, you could pretty easily figure out the worst case scenario for an order. The only thing I'm not sure about is if that $10 goes up with higher order values...maybe some others can chime in...pretty sure Revolectrix is shipping by FedEx as well.
I did find out recently that you can avoid the advancement fee from Fedex, if you call and setup an account, provide a credit card they will just charge you. Then you avoid the $10+HST fee...
SAB Goblin Kraken, SAB Goblin 500, SAB Goblin 420, Oxy 2, 180 Fusion, mCPX BL, mCPX BL2, nano CP S, Freewing F-14, FMS Rafale, Freewing F-5N, Freewing BAE Hawk, FMS F-18, A-10, GP Super Sportster, P-39, Spitfire Mk.IX 1200mm, Dogfighter, FMS F-35, FW F-18, E-Max 250 Quad
tporter416 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

$300 order from HK to moncton took 6 days. $25 for duties
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
Unseenpanic
RCC Noob

I am: Ryan
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 6

Do you guys not reduce the declared value? Or is everyone but me being honest about the declared value.
Unseenpanic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in