Opinions on servo size. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 12:40 AM   #1
oilman

Total Props: 0
Opinions on servo size.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm woundering just how much abuse an HS55 can take. I wounder if they would do the job in my old glider (see the thread "15 year old ARF flies"). I installed Hitec 442's. Becuase it was those or HS55's. Thats what I had on hand. But the RBC kits I build (sell too) usualy recomend 9 gram servos (HS55 size) for their planes and they wiegh close (2/3) to what my glider does. The glider with 10 x CP1300 weighs 1500 grams or just over 3 pounds. I recently bought a GWS Narow Max BB it's a bit bigger and seems to work nicer than the 55. I'm thinking to replace the 55 elevator servo in my 1300 ish gram EDF Yak 23 with one. Anyway back to the glider. I want to get some weight off the tail. Just a little and it would balance well on a 3C2P of kokam 1500's Maybe I could get away with a Narow on the rudder?

What does everyone out there think?

Oilman.
oilman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:41 AM   #2
Morb

Oily,

I usually just use Pico BB's on all my planes, and they are just slightly larger than the 55's. I don't think you'll have to much of a problem.

Think of it this way, all the GWS 300 size planes say to use Naro sized servos, but you can get away with Picos. You save weight, and they still operate the same, especially with a glider, you won't stress them that much. Of course, the "It'll put your eye out" crowd may say differently
Geof.
www.smoothair.ca
Morb is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:09 PM   #3
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7
Servos

Servo technology has come a long way, baby. Today's modern servos have just as much power, speed, etc of the ones from, say 20 years ago, and they just don't seem to be any more fragile, weigh 1/6 as much, in 14 the space,and require less current. Personally, I've never had a servo fail to do its job, certainly in sailplanes. I wouldn't worry about overloading servos in a sailplane until you get into Standard class (100") or larger
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-22-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
NorseHammer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Moe N.

hs55

Well, Lorne remember my little GWS Flying Pizza thread, the trouble with HS55's was that your single most favourite Brushless Motors wound up the flying Pizza'a airspeed to the point that the servo's couldn't over come the aerodynamic load imposed on them and I'd have to BACK OFF THE THROTTLE to regain directional control! It was devastating to my psyche, I mean like why can't I do every manuever in the book at speed's exceeding that of any full scale family car. I had had to part with money and order up some more potent servo's in this case it was a pair of Blue Bird W-150 Micro Metal Gear servo's from http://www.backyardflying.com/ these things can't be overpowered by what you sell, well maybe if you put two of your T15/10's on a common 1/8 drill rod shaft and fed them from a 5S3P 4500 amp LiPo and stuffed them in a really fast plane with high G turning ability.....

Seriously though the servo specs below for the Blue Bird are really phenomanol and I have to say they are probably on the conservative side, they have been test flown in my GMS 47 powered S.P.A.D with no sign of any weakness during full throttle, high speed really incredible highly unrealistic and silly aerobatic manuevers that should only be attempted by the mentaly deranged or S.P.A.D. enthusiasts

(When I can afford the batteries I'll try the dual inline T15/10 setup as viable alternative to the GMS 47)

L x W x H: 26 x 13 x 26mm, 1.16 x 0.51 x 1.02"
Weight: 15.6g, 0.56oz
Speed 4.8V: 0.15 sec, 60deg
Torque 4.8V: 3.6 kg/cm, 50 oz/in

S.P.A.D.s, Fibreglas & Balsa EDF's, Foamies, Brushless powered and nitro balsa planes, they're all in my hanger, just don't explain what it all means to the mrs, eh?
NorseHammer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
oilman

I have read a few threads about multiple outrunners working together. But instaed why not buy the biger motor HET is about to release? I'm not sure but good for 2-3 kgs.

Hmm they can't be overrpowered by what I sell Eh? hhmmm we'll see.

I'm about to bungee my 1.3 kg EDF Yak off into the wild blue younder. I'm having my doubts about the HS55 in the elevator set up. I guess I'll do my best to stay out of steep decents. Level circle patterns is my goal.

oilman
Old 08-23-2004, 12:05 AM   #6
oilman

BTW thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I think it's a subject that deserves more coverage.
Hopefully we'l hear some more info on what everyones favorite servo is.
Oilman.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:31 AM   #7
Morb

I'll be honest. I prefer the Blue Bird/Weighpoint servos. Not just because they are phenomenly cheaper than Picos/HS-55's, but also, because they are more versatile in all my planes.

I'm about to start a beta build on the Vamooses baby sister, the Wee-Goo, and will be using HS55's. In the Vamoose, I am using Blue Birds and Pico BB's.

Wee Go Specs:

Span: 23.25 in.
Area: 115 sq.in.
Motor: GW/LPS-RXC-B/IPS-DX-1XC/IPS-DX-AXC
Prop: EP0843-0806
Batteries: E-Tech 2s/3s x 250 mah
Total Weight (est): 130 grams
Channels: 3-4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weego1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	4182  
Morb is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in