How many people are interested in getting into pattern? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Precision Aerobatics Discuss Precision Aerobatics in canada

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 41
How many people are interested in getting into pattern?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
With the growing interest in IMAC and the seemingly declining interest in Precision Aerobatics - it begs the question above.

Next question would be - what would you like to see changed to make it interesting enough for you to come out an try pattern. Some adaptations have been done in the past such as being able to fly for one of the 2 days in Sportsman to flying 2 rounds of sportsman at a time to get more flights. Sometimes both are done together.

Third question would be - if you are not interested in Pattern - why?

Interested to hear a response. Many will say cost is a factor but with some of the used stuff available and also some of the 90 size pattern based arfs out now - this should not be an issue.

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163
pattern

for me, as an avid aviation enthusiast with a life long passion for airplanes, the "pattern" plane itself does nothing to turn my crank. Don't take this the wrong way but, IMHO it's an ugly airplane that just isn't scale.

If it's not a model of a "real" airplane it is of very low interest (to me). I think the big appeal of IMAC for many is the "scale" airplane.

Sorry for the bluntness but, you did ask
Mike
luv2flyrc is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:12 PM   #3

Total Props: 57
Re: pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
for me, as an avid aviation enthusiast with a life long passion for airplanes, the "pattern" plane itself does nothing to turn my crank. Don't take this the wrong way but, IMHO it's an ugly airplane that just isn't scale.
Mike
Thats because its a built for purpose model....no scale model can come close to the raw precision that a pattern model acheives No different than purpose built F3J, F3B, F3D, F5D, F5B, and helis All built for a single functional purpose One could comment that an F1 car is ugly because its not modeled after a production vehicle....to see the beauty one has to look to the design. Those who have never flown a purebred pattern plane I dont think understand the attraction as someone who has.

Quote:
With the growing interest in IMAC and the seemingly declining interest in Precision Aerobatics
Thats the perception but its not the reality Pattern is doing very well overall, and like anything its cyclical and regional. On the world scale pattern is far bigger than what we see in North America!

At the Nats in Vancouver in 2000 pattern was the largest field with nearly 70 pilots!

Paul, in my experience the way to get people out and doing it is to basically grab them and take them out! I find most people are very reserved to coming out and competeing but once they do it and realize that its not difficult or pressuring then they get into it. I dont think money has much to do with it for most as you can fly a trainer in any class if you want....its just the initial reservation that needs to be overcome.

Electrics are doing a lot for pattern, I know of many who are likely to get into it now that electrics are on the scene and making waves. Pattern is far cheaper to compete in than IMAC even at the upper levels....top notch used gear can be had for a very reasonable price....and there are hardly any restrictions on models other than size which keeps costs down.

Pattern around Calgary is certainly making a comeback....there are a number of giant scale guys who will be giving it a go this year....its a great way to learn true disciplined flying

Pattern is certainly not for everyone....just like I get no kicks watching a 40% model fly freestyle....some will not get any kicks watching me fly rolling circles with my silent wossy electric pattern plane LOL

At the World level, pattern is the largest single discipline event held as a World Championships
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
NorseHammer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Moe N.

Total Props: 0
Pattern, its Discipline

The perception here is that to fly "Pattern" is repitition repitition repitition of the whole sequence. Also its the stodgy older sibling to 3D. Most members here in Terrace at least are banging 3D Spads and inexpensive Arfs like the Magic, Twist, Dazzler and Fun Tiger around the sky. The thought of taking the time to learn pattern flying seems to less than popular at our club.

S.P.A.D.s, Fibreglas & Balsa EDF's, Foamies, Brushless powered and nitro balsa planes, they're all in my hanger, just don't explain what it all means to the mrs, eh?
NorseHammer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:57 PM   #5
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Paul, I am interested in Pattern and I will probably try it when I move to BC.

NO-WAY I'm giving up Scale Aerobatics, though!!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #6
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Ron,

Fortunately, there is a strong and growing (I hope) pattern community in BC and Alberta. These guys are for the most part some of the finest people i know. (As are most r/c modelers.)

There is little interest in IMAC here but all that takes is someone motivated to make it happen.

Looking forward to seeing you at an event!

Paul

MAAC Jet Committee
2L club executive member
Old 01-28-2006, 12:15 AM   #7
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Re: pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2flyrc

If it's not a model of a "real" airplane it is of very low interest (to me). I think the big appeal of IMAC for many is the "scale" airplane.

Sorry for the bluntness but, you did ask
Mike
Hey Mike, I appreciate the frankness. I don't mind if you like you scale planes. I like profiles as well and I get lots of the "well that thing doesn't even look like a real airplane...." Like Chad says, I see the beauty in the design of a pattern plane. I love the lines. Also until you fly one and feel how honest they are in the air - you just don't know.

But please - just enjoy your interests in the hobby for your own reasons.

Paul

MAAC Jet Committee
2L club executive member
Old 01-28-2006, 01:44 AM   #8

Total Props: 57
Re: Pattern, its Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHammer
The perception here is that to fly "Pattern" is repitition repitition repitition of the whole sequence. Also its the stodgy older sibling to 3D. Most members here in Terrace at least are banging 3D Spads and inexpensive Arfs like the Magic, Twist, Dazzler and Fun Tiger around the sky. The thought of taking the time to learn pattern flying seems to less than popular at our club.
Pattern is nothing related to 3D I dont think I would call them distant cousins!

Like I said earlier, its not for everyone...some wish to improve their flying and some just prefer to bang holes The former will usually have some interest (even if very minor) of getting some coaching on how to properly fly aerobatics, trim their plane, build their plane etc....it nothing more than to improve their own abilities.....the latter typically see it as boring and a waste of time. The former usually crash less LOL. There is a lot more to pattern than simply flying....thats only half the equation...you gotta have a well setup plane to do it.

Its tough to really get into by yourself...its definately a group effort to improve your flying. Whats a proper loop look like...how do I trim my plane etc etc etc. A lot of those answers can only come from experienced flyers and if there is none in your area its an uphill battle....I know because thats how I started!

The real draw for me is there is no end in sight....it cannot be perfected, yet we get so close! Its very addicting to continually strive for that extra 1/2 percent and always find another flaw no matter how simple, that you can spend time on and correct. Gives purpose every time I go to the field...and it keeps me coming back regardless of how much time I spend out there

Today there are so many avenues in this hobby that you can get into there are simply not enough people to fill them all. I think that is where you see the decline. I have friends who left flying pattern not becaues they didnt like it, but they wanted to give some other areas a try....I dont doubt that down the road when they have filled their plate with that avenue they will try something else or maybe even come back to pattern. 25 years ago there were not half the choices there are today!

Its unfortunate that a lot of the history of pattern is not preserved somewhere....its been an international event for aroud 50 years and longer in some countries. Virtually all of the current freestyle/3D guys have pattern backgrounds....most of the top IMAC flyers have significant pattern backgrounds. Its really the thing guys fly to hone a lot of their flying skills.

I think there are a lot of closet pattern fliers out there just waiting to come clean LOL
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:43 AM   #9
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

The vast majority of guys in the clubs I belong to aren't interested in pattern.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:48 AM   #10
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Hey Ken,

Your posts at the bottom say:

"Fly with a buddy.
It's more fun."

That's a big part of what pattern is about!

But it's also not about forcing people to do something they are interested in. It's challenging and some people just like to go the the field and unwind.

I was really curious to see what interest there was from the masses towards pattern and I think I'm getting some answers....

Regards,

Paul

MAAC Jet Committee
2L club executive member
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in