Where do I fly RC? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Luminosity

Total Props: 0
Where do I fly RC?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Forgive my total noobness

I just wanted to know if I can fly my models in a park, or do I have to join a club and fly on the field?

Does every city have its own by-laws on RC flying?

Thanks.
Luminosity is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116
Re: Where do I fly RC?

It's good of you to ask best thing to do is to join a club. You will learn fast and well and save alot of money in the end.

Bill
Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
kirch
RCC Apprentice

I am: Richard K
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i
# of RCs: 6

I think you have to check your local city by-laws about flying in the park. The Toronto by-laws forbid it. But I have flown my micro in the park a few times and got away with it. I figure it is too small and light to be of any real danger. It would probably have to hit someone right in the eye for it to hurt anyone. Anything larger poses a risk to others should something go amiss.

Insurance and liability is obviously something that needs to be kept in mind, not to mention the safety aspects.

There are also enough stories of dogs chasing planes in parks. And of course a model airplane or helicopter will quickly draw spectators. Some people are total twits and will walk right up to a helicopter or bug you so that you cannot fly or land safely.

I joined a club when I started last year and for me it was a very good experience. The expense of getting a buddy box to train with was quickly saved by not crashing my plane. Having experienced flyers does not guarantee that you won't crash. But I know there were a few times where, without a doubt, it saved my plane.

A good flying field also has trees very far away. Remember that when flying all trees are closer than they appear. I learned alot just by listening to all the mistakes the experienced people have made. I still make some of them myself. But I think I am making far fewer noob mistakes being in a club. I have learned to appreciate some of the MAAC rules about flight lines and how far back spectators need to stand and park after seeing a few planes go awry for various reasons. Even with a club where people are being careful it is still unnerving to hear a plane go "thunk" into the ground behind you.

All that being said if you need to learn on your own then find some place as open as possible, practice on a flight sim as much as possible, get a really stable and slow 3 channel trainer and always remember to take off (and land if at all possible) into the wind.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
dean2287
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

This is one of the best questions for someone new to RC to ask. kirch very nicely covered anything I was about to say. Do check your local bylaws and abide by them. Remember that unless you join MAAC and fly at a MAAC sanctioned field, you have absolutely no insurance and are at significant liability risk.

I started with a park flyer and really enjoyed it. Make sure where you fly is wide open and nowhere near homes. As mentioned...people will want to watch and chat, and are not kept away from the pilot area with a fence like at a club.

If you have anything bigger than a simple park flyer - I strongly suggest joining a club. I flew my nitro trainer at a soccer field in the industrial area when I started. On my second flight, I clipped a fabric covered structure in a lot right next to the field. $500 repair bill. That's 5 years of club fees.
fly2bfree
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
flysrcs
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5

PM Propworn. he's on this board allot. Very knowledgeable and seems always willing to help. he's from Windsor.
Dave
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
canadianf1pilot
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 6

glad you asked, there are a lot of "park flyers" out there that just go out and fly where ever they please and as always there are a few who show poor judgment and make us all look bad.

have a look at the MAAC website under zone clubs, and find a local club in your area, most will gladly help out.

Bill
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #7

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminosity View Post

I just wanted to know if I can fly my models in a park, or do I have to join a club and fly on the field?

Thanks.
I live in Windsor and can answer most of your questions if you like. I have sent my phone number via PM if you would like to contact me.

Can you fly in the park in Windsor? Technically no there is a bylaw. Unless you do something to attract attention most likely no one will bother you. If they do it’s usually a warning you can not fly these in the park and you have to stop. I in fact have flown my small slow stuff many times in the park next to my house.

On that note I fly fully knowing I have no insurance other than my own liability and I could possibly be subject to a fine.

The biggest problem is this activity invariably draws a crowd. I don't mind one or two observers standing by my side but if the park is being used or it looks like more than a few are coming over I quit flying.

Right now we are flying indoor you might get a kick out of it why not give me a shout and we can arrange an introduction to some other flyers.

You would be most welcome at our next meeting and it would give you a feeling for our club.

In fact I have a video of our year you are welcome to it. It might give you an idea of the diversity and fun we have all year long. There is nothing better than sharing something you enjoy with others who have the same interests.

Dennis Pratt

Club Home Page http://www.sunparlorflyers.ca/html/index.html

My Home Page http://home.cogeco.ca/~denpratt/

Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Freshflyer

Quote:

Thanks.
Last year, I asked myself the same question, and it cost me a heli and almost a plane, but at the time, I thought to myself how hard could it be to fly on my own with out any help. ya right! I took my heli up and that was the end of that one, then I fixed the blades and tried it again and that was it, crashed smach and goodnight. lol , then I went and bought a plane and went with a friend and tried to fly it, dont remember but it wasnt a good thing, my friend said go on the internet and try and find a club , I found a club and it was the best thing I could of done. As for the laws, I have no clue, but if you think u will want to be a hobbiest in this , go find a club or someone that can teach you the rights and wrongs, if not, you will crash and lose interest in a great hobby and a nice way to enjoy your free time.

Lenn
Freshflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
mtnflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

Quote:

Thanks.
These are excellent questions, and so far have garnished some very intelligent responses.
Myself; I have never been cited for, or even seen wording of a by-law that may exist in any given town. There may well be one, but I have not seen it.
If there is such a by-law, what does it say? That we cannot fly R/C aircraft in a city park or a schoolyard? What about control-line, free-flight, model rocketry, and kites? What is it that we cannot do in a park?
I'm certain, that most of us have flown something in a schoolyard. Has anyone ever been chastised for it?

Guy

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187
mtnflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Freshflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflyer View Post
These are excellent questions, and so far have garnished some very intelligent responses.
Myself; I have never been cited for, or even seen wording of a by-law that may exist in any given town. There may well be one, but I have not seen it.
If there is such a by-law, what does it say? That we cannot fly R/C aircraft in a city park or a schoolyard? What about control-line, free-flight, model rocketry, and kites? What is it that we cannot do in a park?
I'm certain, that most of us have flown something in a schoolyard. Has anyone ever been chastised for it?

Guy
Myself., I have flown in the school yard near my house and in a big park beside my house and no one said boo. I think there is though a by-law about gas/nitro driven planes or helis and what it is , basically is that u need insurance, NOW dont take my words for it, this is what I heard from some ppl. But now that this is a topic of disscusion, Im VERY CURIOUS. can you fly around airports ? jk

Here is another thread on Breaking the Laws

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860221

Last edited by Freshflyer; 01-25-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Freshflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in