Unitentional mileage testing.... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
David_Moen

Total Props: 0
Unitentional mileage testing....

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I had the opportunity to find out just how long an MVVS 1.60 gasser will run on 16 ounces of fuel yesterday....I didn't really plan it that way but I learned a few things and drove home with an airplane that was in the same number of pieces that it came to the field in....

Standard flight plan for me, 16 minutes of yank and bank untill the timer on my TX tells me that my eyes are going to get tired sometime soon...bring the Ultra Stick in on approach and everything is normal until I cut the throttle to idle for landing, and it doesn't go to idle!!! Even more butt-puckering is the fact that it doesn't power up for a go-around! It just putt-putts right down the runway about 5' from the deck as happy as it can be. With no apparent throttle control I gently bank out of the pattern and circle up to give me some thinking time. I have no throttle control, and my throttle-cut switch is completey ineffective. The engine is running along at about 1/8 throttle, enough airspeed that there's no way I'll be able to land and ground-loop, nor can I stall the engine by pointing the nose straight up or straight down, it just keeps plonking along. I decide there is nothing to do but wait it out. Turns out I wated another 42 minutes before it runs out of fuel. The landing is uneventful. Turns out the nylon ball-link I had on the throttle arm popped off. I had disabled the throttle return spring so that the servo wouldn't be fighting it so when the linkage came undone it just stayed where it was.

What I learned....

I got lucky that this didn't happen at full throttle!
Don't use nylon ball links for throttle linkages on gas engines....
Have a secondary engine kill device so that your airplane can be shut down in an emergency....
Gas engines are very fuel efficient!
David_Moen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:30 PM   #2
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Thats why (as well as having a secondary shut off) I also leave my springs on the walbro type carbs on - I figure if that happens the engine will go to idle/cut and the little bit of resistance is nothing for the servo to overcome.

Thankfully you got your plane down OK and in one piece! I had that happen to me with glow engines before
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:51 PM   #3
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

That is impressive!! Good think the batteries out lasted the fuel too!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:21 PM   #4
Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

So did someone at least come by to chat while this was going on? 42 minutes is a long time (+ 16 to start) to be staring at a plane.

Glad to hear it ended up safe.

Bob
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:30 PM   #5
BrianDallas

So..............I can get by with a 6 oz. tank in my 1/4 scale Decathlon !!!
BrianDallas is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:05 PM   #6
WildBill
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Bill M

throttle

Funny thing Dave, i was out flying my edge tonight and the same thing happened, almost. went into a flat spin(beautiful i might add ) and when i applied throttle to come out nothing happened , it came out of the spin with no problem, but as it was coming on the down line the throttle jumped up, i leveled out and started thinking, "what do i do now", so i pulled vertical, and the throttle dropped to idle, i leveled out and started a landing approach and i hit the choke to kill the engine,(in case it decided to jump up again), unfortuately i hit it too soon and camne up short of the runway , so i am about to start putting the landing gear back in it. It turns out the throttle servo mounts broke loose , so i am going to make one out of aluminum like the ones that some one showed here on rccanada. It is too bad, it was agreat night to fly, and now i will be out 2 days of practice for london while i fix it
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:23 PM   #7
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I think with the gassers we are carrying away to much fuel. On the side I use a second small servo on an aux. channel with a fine wire with loop over a toggle switch. It is hooked up to the kill post and ground. Double the kill when airborne. The small micro is mounted to the front of the firewall on a alum. bracket.
John
Old 08-30-2004, 09:11 PM   #8
WildBill
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Bill M

engine

i am going to install an optical kill, after today i think i will put them on all my gassers
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:22 AM   #9
David_Moen

It was a long flight! I don't have a neck strap so the TX was even starting to get heavy! There was a rain squall and the wind had time to change direction about 4 or 5 times too. Given the time, here was enough time to have the failure post-mortemed long before the wheels touched the grass as well!

I left a kill switch out on this airplane wanting to keep things simple and light. I just read a blurb in RCM about a teensy weensy TX controlled ignition switch that is probably lighter than my existing switch anyway. Next plane will have it for sure. In the mean time I'm going to re-engage the throttle spring and put a proper ball link on the carb!
David_Moen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in