RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #21
KrasherJack
RCC Noob

I am: Jack DD

Total Props: 0
Re: Hanger 9 Jackal 50

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
Finished up my Jackal last night. Went with the mechanical Robarts, Evolution 60NX and Jett mini pipe.

Jack: did you go with the Evolution 60 or 61?

I too am going to leave it assembled. It is a pain in the caboose to assemble and disassemble because of the wing servo wires and the retract linkage. The main retract servo is tucked under about 5 lbs of wires and cables when everything is together...makes it very hard to get the quick attach ball link on. And then their is the issue of not letting the flap and aileron wires jam against the fuselage when the wing is slid all the way into its socket. I loctited my wing screws so If I am lucky it will only get disassembled for long distance road trips with various other paraphernalia.

The retracts on the other hand went in without a hitch. They should work very well. The only thing I would change with the retracts would be to make the main retract servo hole capable of handling a standard size servo instead of the typical low profile retract servo.

I had a @#$@%^ of a time getting the cowl to slide over the engine. In the end I had to pull the head off my motor to get enough clearance for the cowl to slide by. It is however a fantastic fit once it was all said and done. Perfect gap between the nose of the cowl and the spinner backplate. The small gap should be good for about an extra 27 mph.

I opted to go with a 2100 mah 2S lipo on the tail and a regulator up front over top of the nose gear. Seeing as the hatch has to come off to get access to the on/off switch, I opted to lose the switch all together and use a deans connector between my battery and regulator. One less thing to go wrong (my regulator is not failsafe) and less wires to play with. Makes for less pieces to pick up as well. No switch should be good for an additional 14 mph.

I also tossed the aileron and flap linkages in favor of some 4-40 threaded rod and HD ball links. I figure they will add atleast 36 mph to the top speed.

I wasn't a big fan of the yellow decals they had plastered on the wing and fuse. First thing I did was whip out my heat gun and peel those bad boys off. Much nicer without them imho. The lack of decals should add anoter 30 mph.

The out of the box straight and level speed with the Evo 60 and retracts seems to be right around 130mph from what I have read....so if I add my speed gains of 27+14+36+30 = 107 mph. Add that to the base 130mph andI am up to 237 mph. You guys don't stand a chance.
I have the Evo 60NX with the Jett (Blue) pipe, the wiring is bugging me pretty bad also, no room for me to play, also I have the on/off switch inside, I'm also using the nose wheel steering push/pull wires which S@#$, the wires get hung up when the nose wheel retracts...I have to figure something our there.
I cut the cowl, just aft of the engine cylinder head, Right along the Red/White paint line, to get it on /off, it'll probably take 20mph off my top speed..

Ooo I guess I'll be the slowest...then..

Les Beasley, from our Avon club has also built a Jackal Ringer, in SECRET...
I Guess you guys can fight it out while I do some Real Ace Flying..
Jack

Last edited by KrasherJack; 03-09-2011 at 09:08 AM.
KrasherJack is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #22
jdiprofio
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Cool Re: Hanger 9 Jackal 50

Great...more screaming lawn darts at the field.

MAAC 70927

"Am I Inverted.....Oh Crap!!"
jdiprofio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #23
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiprofio View Post
Great...more screaming lawn darts at the field.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #24
astrofler
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Al E

Total Props: 3

more fuel for the campfire, right Joe?

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in