Hornet II - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 07:55 AM   #1
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Janne B

Total Props: 0
Hornet II

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Iwas curious about this bird when I saw in the GH flyer and was wondering
what comes with the full kit for $640. I checked on the GH and MS site but there was no info.
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:53 AM   #2
Colin
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Colin B
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 13
We will have one soon, we'll tell ya what we think of it when we finish it.

Colin
Old 11-24-2003, 08:34 AM   #3
Heli-Flyer
RCC Contributor

Re: Hornet II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Blom
Iwas curious about this bird when I saw in the GH flyer and was wondering
what comes with the full kit for $640. I checked on the GH and MS site but there was no info.
Jan,

You went to the wrong site. The Hummingbird is built by Century Heli. Goto http://www.centuryheli.com and you will find more info. But $640 for a full kit, that sounds too much.

Hope this helps.
Heli-Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-25-2003, 04:06 AM   #4
Charlie
RCC Contributor

I am: Charlie G
Radio of choice:
JR 11X

Heli-Flyer

He is talking about the Hornet, not the Hummingbird
Charlie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:05 AM   #5
Heli-Flyer
RCC Contributor

Sorry my mistake. I thought he was talking about the HB.
Heli-Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:51 PM   #6
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Janne B

Hornet I comes in two versions also but it does spec that for $ 450 it comes with gyro, Esc batt etc so I assume this is the same for II.
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:48 AM   #7
Colin
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Colin B
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 13
Like anything the Hornet / Hornet II come in different configurations. The expensive kit package comes ready to go with no receiver or transmitter.
It has servos, gyro, blades and battery with speed controller. I believe it even has a quick charger, ours does. The full kit CPX has no motor however since due to the "high end" nature most might install a brushless.
Check with GH for accurate up to date packaging contents.

The CP/CPX machine is not a beginner helicopter and you should know how to fly basics first. It is a precision micro machine that fits together very well but due to the small parts and tight tolerance fits you need to use care during assembly. It is not a slap together helicopter and needs attention to building detail to get the best from it. It is quite tuff but it also runs at 2000 rpm with carbon blades and has enough collective pitch for 3-D. It is very smooth running and flys great once you adapt to the small rotor disk and hiller control. The shaft driven tail gear train is silky smooth
and you don't have to wait for the tail motor to spool up and down as with the less complicated micros. We shall post a picture later of it in flight.

The Hornet II is bigger and has a slightly better servo layout which one may or may not notice a difference in handling. I'd expect it to be better suited for more relaxed flying being more stable. We'll have to experience that one to be sure.

My advice to anyone buying one is to follow the instructions after fully understanding them. There are two bearings very close to the same dimension used in the tail drive (one at the front of the tail boom and the other at the TR gearbox). The difference is in the flange width only
and position wise they can be incorrectly swapped. The exploded view shows different PNs and references the dimensions on a parts list. The only difference is the "s" after the F. If you swap these you won't get the boom into the mechanics cause the flange is bigger than the hole the boom slides into. Ask me how I know! One needs a calipar or very good eyes to see the difference.

My advice is to check the tail glue hub bond after gluing it to the shaft before flying. Some people have forgotten to glue this part or inproperly bonded it. If you glue it correctly it is very strong.

Some people are screwing the tail grips on incorrectly or unevenly and getting vibrations. They need to be the same length from the hub.

We are here to help anyone assemblying and setting up one of these neat little buggers. We have more building tips if anyone needs help. It ain't rocket science but it needs to be done correctly.

PS bigger exploded parts pictures are available at the MS web site.

Stephen and Colin
Old 12-07-2003, 05:30 PM   #8
WildBill
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Bill M

hornet

How would you rate the hornet vs the hummingbird and teh piccolo, which would you recommend?
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:22 PM   #9
Charlie
RCC Contributor

I am: Charlie G
Radio of choice:
JR 11X

The Hummingbird is a fixed pitch and the Pro Piccolo and Hornet have collective pitch, so that's a big bonus right there. In my opinion, collective pitch is the way to go.
Charlie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:12 PM   #10
WildBill
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Bill M

heli

i was wondering which one is
a) easiest to assemble
b) easiest to fly
c) easiest to repair
i have a little experience with helis and think this would be cool for flyin around my living room in the airwolf body, that why i am leaning towards the hummingbird or the picollo but if the hornet is easier to fly or just plain flys better, than thats the way i will go thanks for any input
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in