Proposal for off road track in Kitchener - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 03-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
scottm_1969
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Proposal for off road track in Kitchener

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All
I've been whining to hobby stores in the area about the lack of good locations for bashing and racing. McLennan Park in Kitchener is a recent area being currently developed and recently added an amazing BMX track. My wife spoke to Dan Ritz who is the supervisor of design and development at the park; he seemed interested and would be willing to work with us (hobbyists) in coming up with a plan to propose to the commitee.
Here's a copy of the email my wife sent to me today about her phone conversation:

first - interest...if there are only 10 or 20 guys who want to do this, the city is not going to invest in creating space only to have it sit there un-used. So the first thing you have to do is talk to the local hobby shops and ask them to post information on a meeting to be held to discuss this. Get on the forums, create a forum and see how many people would be interested in supporting and using this type of venue.

Second - find examples of the kind of space you'd want for this ..I cited the example of a circular track with a mogul pit in the center...an acre perhaps, maybe two? What kind of track or useage area would you want...show examples.

Once we have this, develop a proposal to submit to him and he'll take it into consideration, tell us if he needs anything else and then present it to the committee or whatever. He seemed interested, of course could not promise anything. He also said that people have already tried to use the area for that purpose and were asked to leave so he's aware that there is some interest.

So guys, if you're interested in helping get this track running, respond in this thread and/or PM me and lets see what we can make happen.

Scott
scottm_1969 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
imported_Semple
RCC Contributor

If you're looking into building a full on race track, I'm interested. If it's just a bash pit, best of luck to you.
imported_Semple is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
scottm_1969
RCC Noob

"If you're looking into building a full on race track, I'm interested. If it's just a bash pit, best of luck to you. "

Hmmm. Thanks. I think.

I think it could be both. It might have to be both to make a real go of it and get more people involved. What's important, first off, is seeing how many people would use the track in order to get it approved. I wouldn't want to eliminate any groups and that applies to bashers and racers. We need to all make it happen and along the way we can see what the track can be.

Sound reasonable?

Scott

Old 03-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
imported_Semple
RCC Contributor

Sounds absolutely reasonable. You need to maximize your participation in this sort of scenario. There are certainly a lot of people who have RC cars in Kitchener. Probably 90% of them are into the bashing rather than racing. I can see a bash pit working really well in the area. Some dirt jumps, some rock crawling, etc. Perhaps an oval around it, as you mentioned. Would be cool to see something backed by the city.
imported_Semple is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
sportbike11
RCC Apprentice

I'm in, I'll spread the word abit and see if I can get some other guys to voice there intrest on here. It would be interesting to see if a track could be designed that is suitable for both 1/10 and 1/8th scale
sportbike11 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
scottm_1969
RCC Noob

Sounds good!

I stopped in tonight on my way home from work and dropped off a couple of flyers at RCGuys in Kitchener. The owner and another fellow behind the counter were there and mentioned how many people are in this hobby in the KW area. If word gets around it shouldn't be too hard to show we have enough interest to make this work.

Scott
Old 03-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
JordanAK
RCC Pro Contributor

With such a huge population, Kitchener should have a decent rc track !
2010 & 2009 RC Pro Nitro Buggy Champion, Ont.
2010 Glorcs Buggy 3rd
2010 Glorcs Truggy 5th
www.rcsnowmobiles.com
JordanAK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Mugenman
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Muckey M

If you are looking for examples. There are plenty of real nice places in the USA.
Thunder Alley Beaumont California, St Louis Dirtburners. Both are with in city limits. Do it well and people will come from to use it.

http://www.thunderalleyrcraceway.com/

http://www.dirtburners.org/

There are many others. From what I hear the noise may be something to think about.

I would think a track would be great. People can bash on it.

A little something I found when looking around.

Where I live, up in Washington state we have a banked clay oval and an off-road track right next to each other, and they are on city parks department property.

We have been an organized club for more than 20 years

We approached the head of the city parks dept. as a club

We had a written proposal of our desired facility

Through negotiations with the city we were made responsible for, all of the expenses for everthing from the clay and dirt, to the drivers stands and pit lanes.

We have water, power, and porta potties all of which are paid for monthly by the club

We had to include a handi-capped accesable drivers stand, and the off-road track has to be accesable to the public. (we worked a deal to fence the oval track and keep it locked up except for practice days and race nights)

We were also put on an initial one year trial period(that was 4 years ago)

What I can tell you is, it takes a good group of people that will follow through with the agreements made with the city. It takes alot of money and time to build and maintain this facility.

This is just a small look at what goes into it. We are very fortunate to have a city that is into what we are doing, and that we a have great race program at all 3 of our tracks (we a carpet oval too) so that we can afford to continue add to and maintain the facility.

I would say be sure you will have racer support, and a group of people that are dedicated to the cause. Head to city hall, find the head of the parks and make a proposal, be very organized and professional and be ready to jump through some hoops. Remeber, keep telling them how good this will be for the community and how it will bring money into the areas local shops. Suggest a trial period. It's not easy but you can do it. Our facility is very popular, we host multiple series and big 3 day events, as well as weekly club racing.
Good luck
Mugenman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
scottm_1969
RCC Noob

Thanks very much for your post Mugenman.

It looks like a club would be a good way to start this.

I started and ran a local marine aquarium club for a couple of years before handing it off so i'm familiar with some of the work required but for some reason it seems more difficult locating fellow RC people in this area.

Getting the OK for the track is really just the beginning so i'm hoping plenty of people will step forward and volunteer to help.

I'll get working on a club site and forum. Anyone that wants to be parts of this, please let me know!

Thanks, Scott
Old 03-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
hounddog
RCC Apprentice

Sounds great, I think the local hobby shops would benifit as well as this would get more guys in the hobby. Don't forget that an onroad track/club is also easy, as long as you had someone with a mpty parking lot on the weekend. I'd be very happy with either a on or off road tarck. I'm in !!
hounddog is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in