Can anyone help me appraise this RC stuff? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 04-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
PetronTJ
RCC Noob

I am: Peter B

Total Props: 0
Can anyone help me appraise this RC stuff?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Howdy all! I have some old equipment I would eventually like to sell but for the moment I was hoping someone would be able to give me an idea of how much all of it is worth.

I don't know this board's policies on posting images right into the thread but there are a lot of them so it will probably be better to post an IMGUR album of them

http://imgur.com/a/5KTdQ

Thank for any help anyone can provide me! Let me know if you need any serial numbers or additional pictures!
PetronTJ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Re: Can anyone help me appraise this RC stuff?

Not much really. planes are not worth much in the condition they are.
The only items of value would be the 40 OS engine and the 7 cap radio and field box.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
tporter416
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX12
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 13

Agree with aceplant00, those would be the only things of value.
The engine, depends on how long it has been sitting, if it is not seized you might get around $100, if it is seized maybe $25-$35 as a rebuild project for someone. I sold a TT 50 recently and it was hard to get $100, OS is a better name however...

The radio with servos, everyone has moved to 2.4GHz and that is an older FM radio, I sold a similar setup 4 years ago, was hard to find a buyer, for $125. Probably less than that now as things have moved on...

Tom
SAB Goblin Kraken, SAB Goblin 500, SAB Goblin 420, Oxy 2, 180 Fusion, mCPX BL, mCPX BL2, nano CP S, Freewing F-14, FMS Rafale, Freewing F-5N, Freewing BAE Hawk, FMS F-18, A-10, GP Super Sportster, P-39, Spitfire Mk.IX 1200mm, Dogfighter, FMS F-35, FW F-18, E-Max 250 Quad
tporter416 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
Mad_Mike
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mike M
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8G2
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 8

I got 4 old 72Mhz radios for nothing and only managed to give one away, the others went to recycle.
The servos have some value to those of us who like to trust old stuff.
You can look them up here to get a "Street price".

The electric starter also has some value. At least $10.
Mad_Mike is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
PetronTJ
RCC Noob

I am: Peter B

Well that wasn't what I was hoping for but it's all old so I'm not terribly surprised!

I guess the whole bundle is only worth around 100 give or take then?
I was hoping for a little more given that there are 3 radios but it makes sense if the hardware has moved on!
PetronTJ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

I agree. The engine and radio are the most valuable. I sold that same Tx and a box full of crystals at the London Swap Meet not too long ago for $90. As it is not module based cannot modernize it to work with 2.4.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
mark_london
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: MarkB
Radio of choice:
Spektrum/Hitec
# of RCs: 30

I inherited a bunch of planes/engines... Will be posting soon.
mark_london is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

At best the OS motor might be worth $50. It has a bushed crankshaft... no ball bearings and I believe a ringed piston and cylinder and brand new was probably around $70 at most.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:54 PM   #9
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199

I would not pay more than $20 for all. Sorry, you might get 20 motor, 15-starter, 15 - box, 25 - 7cap
Old 07-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #10
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetronTJ View Post
Well that wasn't what I was hoping for but it's all old so I'm not terribly surprised!

I guess the whole bundle is only worth around 100 give or take then?
I was hoping for a little more given that there are 3 radios but it makes sense if the hardware has moved on!
For someone coming into - or returning to - the hobby and deciding to take the glo/nitro engine route, and not having engine, you could get the $100 figure.... a forty size two stroke is the most popular size and for a trainer or sport, a plain bearing motor is fine and, as others have said, it is an OS, which has good reputation for easy handling.
The field box is pretty complete, even assuming that the 12v starter battery dead. There probably is a charger for the self-contained 1.2v igniter battery so see if this battery will charge up and be more valuable; the expanded scale voltmeter is a nice piece of field test equipment for people still using NiCad or Nimh airborne battery packs. (and show everything that is in the field box: eg. what is in that clear plastic box, with a McDanield's tag, sticking out of the top of the box?
Collecting all this field box stuff, including the field box, would be way over $100.

I'd throw everything into the sale but would warrant the radio gear and leave that stuff up the potential buyer's responsibility on what to salvage. (Unless you did more research on radios, etc.)

You are located in high population area, making the chances of a sale more likely.

From time to time you see someone offering a complete glo starter set: plane, installed motor, field box/contents, older radio (for $150 to $250) or just the just the starter plane/motor (for $100)........ your ideal buyer would be someone who has or could pick up a used .40 size starter plane stripped of the motor.

Just be patient.

The weird Ugly Stick clone looks like the fuselage was fashioned out of plastic rainwater drain pipe. Again the bits and pieces such as the motor mount - especially if it fits your motor - have value for someone without a built up inventory of stuff.

good luck
michaely is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in