Let's talk speed, .46 style - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
mwavesdave

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24
Re: Let's talk speed, .46 style

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Sell the TT, and invest all your spare change, and buy a turbine Greg! We need more jets at the field. Maybe hold a Sunday, don't tell dad sale at the hobby shop, 75% off on everything, pocket the cash, everyone in the area will worship you. Then claim a break in and get the insurance money. No one will ever know!!! Oh, wait, I just posted all that didn't I. Sorry, out of ideas now. Let me know when you're planning to maiden whatever rocket plane you build! Think we might want to do that flight without anyone else airborne!
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Greg,

In a 2002 post on another forum someone extracted a speed of 139mph with a TT.46pro on a Shrike (looks sorta like a flying wing)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow...46-owners.html

recently on rcgroups someone sold a Sig Mustang 450 kit (wood fuse; balsa sheeted foam wings), a used K&B rear exhaust 6.5cc and other goodies - advertised for $190 -to complete a .40 sized classic looking pylon racer.

stuck in people's basements, waiting to be called out, are more K&B 6.5cc rear exhaust engines and, I suspect, even more K&B 7.5cc rear exhaust ducted fan engines that could turn a prop plenty fast in a classic looking pylon racer... burying a short tuned pipe, like an Australian made Magic Muffler, in the cheeks of such a racer, would add both to the looks and speed.

I think "Kip" on this forum has a Surpertigre rear exhaust .40 for sale.

good luck,

Michael

Last edited by michaely; 10-13-2014 at 09:10 AM.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
MJD
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike D

Total Props: 14

Jett tuned muffler www.jettengeering.com

Jett-Stream High Performance Tuned Muffler Specifications

JS-40-TT
6.5-9cc (.40-.50)
128 grams
OS, TT, GMS, MDS
Magnum, (others)
$60.00

Again, this engine has been proven the ability to pull a Q500 around the 130mph mark on a 10-7 APC. You can do a bit better on a delta. Magnums are fine but they suffer from far too much manufacturer and user hype relative to their actual performance.
MJD is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:05 PM   #14
tommy
RCC Contributor

I am: tommy c
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: 29+

Total Props: 5

If you are serious spend the money and buy a proper racing motor like you see at the pylon races using a TT for speed is like banging your head against the wall cause it feels good when you stop unless it is internally modified to use higher nitro it will fall short I think.
tommy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
k.fluney
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Ken F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 16

Total Props: 1

Get your self a Q500 plane, go with the GP's Viper and use your TT46, APC pylon prop 8 3/4 x 7 1/2 and get a Jett bubble less tank [bladder tank], 15% fuel.
Your TT46 should turn a prop around 17,500 RPM.
With this setup you should zip along at 125 -135 mph.
Q500's are not much to look at but are really good flying planes, take it from me, as I have been flying pylon planes for over 30 years.
In the US, the Q500 sport class racing use the TT40 ABC motor with a 9 x 6 prop.
If you wanted a Jett Quickie motor , I know where some are at a good price, they are used but still run great.
Just send me a PM.

Ken

Last edited by k.fluney; 11-01-2014 at 07:59 AM.
k.fluney is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #16
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

You do not have to turn eight million RPM to go fast! Way back when ( I ain't tellen how long ago) we were flying control line rat racers. This is back when we had to boil those yellow Tornado props to stop them from breaking. We were using 8" X 8" props on .40 engines and this guy use to come out periodically and he had a Tornado 9" prop. He boiled it and while it was still hot he would clamp it in a mold to put a special pitch twist on the prop.
we were all turning about 15,000 RPM and here comes AS and he is only turning 12,500 RPM and he is passing all of us. He would not talk about what he did to his props. You have to match the prop to the engine and to the aircraft. There is only so much speed in one combination.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #17
greghatt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Greg H
Radio of choice:
Not to sure anymore

just a quick update to this thread. My dad got me an old house of balsa .40 p-51 for xmas. I started building it this week and am installing a pair of eflite retracts in it. So I guess we will see what this combo with my .46 pro will get me in the spring
greghatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #18
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Jeff G
Radio of choice:
X20s or anything FrSky

Total Props: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghatt View Post
just a quick update to this thread. My dad got me an old house of balsa .40 p-51 for xmas. I started building it this week and am installing a pair of eflite retracts in it. So I guess we will see what this combo with my .46 pro will get me in the spring
Kit planes are notoriously heavy.. that P51 will be heavy.. and with the 46.. you will be lucky to get up to 80mph... as others have mentioned a good ARF built for the purpose.. or a scratch built is the only way to truely get up to speed..

But !!!! as others have also said.. don't get in a hurry to go fast.. work up to it.. I started trying the speed thing with an old Sig extra 300.. one I didn't really care much about at the time.. so if I drove it into the ground no great loss..

My old extra is in the front in the pic.. and brightly coloured for a good reason.. once you get over 100 mph they cover a lot of ground in a very short time.. and you need to be thinking about them 5 sec before they get there.. and hope they do get there..

It is a 47 inch wing 7.5 lbs.. heavy.. meant for a 40 size engine and has a K&B 60 modified to take an OS carb.. running 15% nitro.. turning 11x9 prop at 10,000 rpm.. at this point the engine is running the best I can get so far and I am at the point now where I am trading RPM for pitch.. for every inch of pitch on the prop I loose 1000 rpm.. so that is the trade off for now.. so next season I am going to run some 30% nitro and see if I can get more pitch on the prop..

Best speed on a GPS was 115 mph..

and yes it does have a cowl.. was off in the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-05 22.09.25.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	514466  
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #19
greghatt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Greg H
Radio of choice:
Not to sure anymore

I've done the speed thing already. Thats not an issue. I clocked my GP Phaszer at 120mph straight and level. I have also done the sp400 pylon racer thing too. I'm scratch building one now stricktly for balls to the wall speed.

My point with this project was to get speed out of off the shelf stuff I already had. I've already built a set of eflite retracts into the wing which will help a bit. And from all the reports I've been told about (apperently this kit was popular around here) its a screaming little mustang. Regardless We shall see what happens.
greghatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #20
jth
RCC Noob

I am: john h
Radio of choice:
jr

Total Props: 0

I have 2 or 3 f3d (rc pylon) airframes ready to go with engine mounts built in for nelson/or ST X40 .40 plus one grove gr7 formula one in primer. you can have them free john headley 604 952 4164
jth is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in