New big block engine on the way for the Firebird!!! - Page 8 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #71

Total Props: 57
Re: New big block engine on the way for the Firebird!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANENR View Post
Dude, I do work for a living. Can't be sitting in front of the computer all the time, I do have life. And as for what "I fly" I posted it. Again.. read it before you comment on it. As for my first comment(post), I did write the word "if". I'm not knocking the builder(I've seen his work on the internet) or the pilot(no idea of his flying abilities). Now as for the aircraft it's still made of balsa and fibreglass, loaded with Jet-A fuel or Kero.
One last thing, as for what Tom Cook recommends? I would say Bob Violett is the" MAN ", he is what this hobby is all about.....safety. Respect it.

Tom Cook has been doing RC jets for as long or longer than your "man" Bob Violett has. Tom Cook is the manufacture of the Dynamax fan unit, successful designs such as the Starfire, his F4 Phantom was the first LARGE RC jet that successfully flew back in the early 80's, as was his T33.
As for the Firebird, until you see one in the flesh, you have no idea how this airplane is constructed. There is not a single BVM jet that is as rugged as this airplane. I have built a few BVM jets including a Composite Super Bandit. Nothing out there that I have seen come close to the construction of the Firebird. The Firebird is now the world record holder for worlds fastest RC turbine powered aircraft. The pilot was one of BV's top guys, until he left BVM. If BV's airplanes were capable of setting the record he'd of used one of those airplanes. The Firebird was designed around the Olympus, designed for strength and speed.
I can almost guarantee you that when it comes to aircraft design, manufacture, and execution, both for performance and safety, Tom's designs are far and above ANY other manufacture out there.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #72
ifsta4
RCC Contributor

I am: Andy H

Total Props: 0

last time I checked this is Canada, everyone is entitled to their opinion , and the freedom to apply for MAAC insurance and fly model jets. Leave the guy alone and go back to your work benches and build what you want to fly and let "the rest of us" do our thing. Why don't you put your energy into housing the homeless or feeding the hungry if you want to stand on a soapbox. The only people that stand to "ruin" the hobby for the rest of us are the whiners and complainers it is supposed to be a safe and fun hobby, and Jeremy is one of the safest skilled RC pilots out there. Don't bother trying to slag me or be critical of my post just grow up !

out.........
ifsta4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #73
CANENR
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rick C
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGM Guitars View Post
Tom Cook has been doing RC jets for as long or longer than your "man" Bob Violett has. Tom Cook is the manufacture of the Dynamax fan unit, successful designs such as the Starfire, his F4 Phantom was the first LARGE RC jet that successfully flew back in the early 80's, as was his T33.
As for the Firebird, until you see one in the flesh, you have no idea how this airplane is constructed. There is not a single BVM jet that is as rugged as this airplane. I have built a few BVM jets including a Composite Super Bandit. Nothing out there that I have seen come close to the construction of the Firebird. The Firebird is now the world record holder for worlds fastest RC turbine powered aircraft. The pilot was one of BV's top guys, until he left BVM. If BV's airplanes were capable of setting the record he'd of used one of those airplanes. The Firebird was designed around the Olympus, designed for strength and speed.
I can almost guarantee you that when it comes to aircraft design, manufacture, and execution, both for performance and safety, Tom's designs are far and above ANY other manufacture out there.
I would imagine if you put a 57pound plus turbine(provided it fit's)to one of BVM's Composite Super Bandit it would do 300plus mph. I would guess its about liability for Bob Violett, he would want to sleep at night knowing he is not selling a un-man missile to his customers. Meaning he is not encouaging it. His aircrafts and products are everywhere at the prices he sells them for(compared to the China product), he must be doing it right. I`ve read your posting about the your Super Bandit on other forums, so my comments would not mean much to you. Now, I have not built a Tom Cook Firebird but I have built a Super Bandit and currently have one, I feel that the Bandit is somewhat bullet proof in design and made with the best materials out there.
Its just my opinion, maybe you and your friend do not agree, but thats OK .
Good Luck and be safe.
CANENR is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #74

You know, I did have a big response to the last comment, even posted it, but really, what's the point, it was turning into a manufacture against manufacture ordeal and that's stupid. The bottom line is, the JMP Firebird was designed around the engine I ordered. Yes it's capable of over 300mph, and yes, the airframe holds together at those speeds......
If a BVM Product was strong enough, I'm sure Shui would have chosen one from there, particularly since he spent a huge amount of time working there.

Anyway, I'm putting an engine in an airplane it was designed for, and I'm not breaking any MAAC rules or regulations, so if somebody has a problem with that, I guess it's their problem, keep it to yourself.....

Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #75
CANENR
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rick C
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGM Guitars View Post
You know, I did have a big response to the last comment, even posted it, but really, what's the point, it was turning into a manufacture against manufacture ordeal and that's stupid. The bottom line is, the JMP Firebird was designed around the engine I ordered. Yes it's capable of over 300mph, and yes, the airframe holds together at those speeds......
If a BVM Product was strong enough, I'm sure Shui would have chosen one from there, particularly since he spent a huge amount of time working there.

Anyway, I'm putting an engine in an airplane it was designed for, and I'm not breaking any MAAC rules or regulations, so if somebody has a problem with that, I guess it's their problem, keep it to yourself.....

Dude, I was not going to post on this subject anymore, but again I did not say you were breaking any MAAC rules(read the first posting). Your buddy insinuated it. I enjoy extreme speeds and stunts, everyone at my club knows it. But theres a limit(my opinion).
Look this has been a big waste of eveyones time, and nobody really cares. Again.... Good Luck.
CANENR is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANENR View Post
Dude, I was not going to post on this subject anymore, but again I did not say you were breaking any MAAC rules(read the first posting). Your buddy insinuated it. I enjoy extreme speeds and stunts, everyone at my club knows it. But theres a limit(my opinion).
Look this has been a big waste of eveyones time, and nobody really cares. Again.... Good Luck.
You know what, it's all good man...
I'm super excited about this jet. I've waited 10 years for a Firebird and while I'm not out to break any records, I can't wait to fly it hard and fast.
As for limit's, I'm not exceeding the manufactures knowledge of the airframe, or any limits imposed by our governing body, so I'm just out to enjoy the airplane.
There are no hard feelings at all, should you ever make it out this way, we'll fly the hell out of our planes and enjoy a few cold ones afterwards!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #77
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

I think you guys are blowing this out of proportion.

When it comes to MAAC- If you fly by the rules you are covered. If you break the rules- you are not. Simple.

Knowing this, any pilot who flies a plane outside the auspices of MAAC does so by his own choice. If a person chooses to fly outside of MAAC and has an accident, it wont affect the MAAC members, will it?

As for "an accident"- I have been watching the development of RC Jets from its infancy with much admiration.

In the old days of Ducted Fan, the jet jocks were the cream of the crop when it comes to construction techniques. Jets were built solid and strong to withstand the pressures of high-speed flight and the tremendous G's of the high-speed turnarounds and pull-ups from low passes.

You would think that after all these years, the refinement in jet construction and strength has also grown (which I believe it has)

Just the cost of a jet alone makes the average modeler nervous. Most people flying jets (Sadly there are some exceptions) are serious about their aircraft and go to great measures to protect their investment.

Now add in the cost of just the turbine, and you have radio-controlled piece of machinery that is more expensive than some cars on the road. Do you really think a jet pilot would take a risk to lose this much money by doing something stupid?

His speed flight is part of what jets do. Someone like Jeremy with all his experience, would be likely to fly his jet FAST but also SAFE, well within the performance/strength limitations of his jet. Do you really think he would be stupid enough to do otherwise? If he happens to break a few records doing it, then what do you have to fear?

Last edited by Max; 03-16-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #78
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilphil26 View Post
All i can say, is that i hope that I can still fly when I am in diapers Or maybe the way I fly, I should just wear them all the time haha. I wish I could see this thing fly in person.
good point, there are a number of us jet guys not getting any younger...Ron!
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #79
Pepperpete
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Glenn M

Total Props: 2

Well I for one will be there (count on it) the day he fly's this badboy. I wouldn't miss it for the world.
Member #4 of the 2 litre club! And proud of it.
Pepperpete is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #80

A few of us are just going to stay here in Ontario and watch as he turns it around

Trev

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in