Credit Card Info Stolen From Great Hobbies. - Page 13 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #121
russ
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Re: Credit Card Info Stolen From Great Hobbies.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFarmer View Post
I phoned a cc order in to them.....I'm not sure if that's more safe then entering your info on-line 'cause now somebody at their office has (had) my #. Another reason to start forcing these online retailers to adopt c.o.d. as an option. Sure c.o.d. will cost you a few bucks more but isn't that extra bit of insurance worth it? This way you don't pay until the package is at your post office and nada/zero/zilch/no credit card information is exchanged. Pretty hard to hack into that........
You do know that GH hobbies already offers COD service + AFAIK you can also use Interac email money transfer with them too.

And also, Paypal accounts get breached all the time.
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 AM   #122
HeliFarmer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Chris
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0

There you go, I didn't even realize they do cod. You learn something new all the time. In my opinion that is the best option and more people should be using it. Paypal....I refuse to even sign up for it.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #123
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19

Ive been using Paypal for about 4 years now and have made over a dozen transactions and have yet got a discrepancy. But I do not leave any more than $20 in my account AFTER my purchase...wanna go for all the bull for $20...go for it.
I'm sure that GH has resolved the problem as they stated and no need to "exile" them. They do have a COD option for established customers that have ordered before. I think they charge an extra $5 for using it as well.
If Hobby Wholesale or Hobby Hobby etc gets their credit card numbers compromised, are you gonna quit ordering from them as well? Probably not. Hopefully they will spot the problem before the customer does, as only for a select few in this case.
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #124
MikeCam
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dan F

Total Props: 9

I just had a fraud committed on my PayPal account. I've also had 2 CC compromised. Lucky I had my PayPal hooked to my Visa because within 3 days I had my money back from Visa that took Paypal 6 weeks to figure out and when they did I was out 60 cents for the exchange rate. Need less to say I told them I was not owing any money and stuck to my guns. Took 3 months but Paypal finally made good.

Having two cards in case one gets compromised is great advice. The CC is the best way to make purchases, my two incidences were very minor in the long run and by the second go around I knew exactly what was expected of me.
MikeCam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #125
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 15256 View Post
[...through Paypal, your credit card is still protected. I contacted Master Card security and they verified this. In fact the individual I talked to recommended using Paypal as it adds another level of security...
Not really, Paypal gives away all your other info; name, address, phone, email... So I guess the only 'protected' parties here are Paypal and the credit card companies.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #126
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCam View Post
I just had a fraud committed on my PayPal account. I've also had 2 CC compromised. Lucky I had my PayPal hooked to my Visa because within 3 days I had my money back from Visa that took Paypal 6 weeks to figure out and when they did I was out 60 cents for the exchange rate. Need less to say I told them I was not owing any money and stuck to my guns. Took 3 months but Paypal finally made good.
So nine months for 60 cents? most other companies would have sent you a ten dollar gift certificate after one month.

Quote:
Having two cards in case one gets compromised is great advice
Having two cards is good as I found that one was not accepted by most stores in Europe (ten years ago), even then you needed a chipped card (not available in Canada).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in