Interesting flash back - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 11-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
RBinnie
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rod Binnie

Total Props: 0
Re: Interesting flash back

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceenut View Post
Reminds me of one of my earliest modeling experiences. Built a 12 inch model of Sabre Jet, powered by a Jetex motor. That would be around 1954. 1954??? I just realized how OLD I am.
In the mid sixties, when I was about 12, I was on summer vacation in the UK and built a simple glider at my uncle's house to play with in the local park. I was having great fun with it when one day while poking around the LHS I saw the Jetex engins. I bought one and mounted it on the glider. I had built a few rubber powered balsa planes back home so I figured out the CG and lit up the Jetex. Well I spent a good part of the rest of my vacation chasing that sucker around the park all day long but what I remember the most was the fun I had just watching the Jetex motor power the glider up to altitude then glide back to earth after the burn. I don't remember what ever happened to it but it probably caught a boomer and went OOS.

On another note, a few guys at our club brew up their own fuel using castor oil, nitro and methanol and the one thing that always takes me back 40 odd years is the smell of that stuff burning in a glow engine.

Cheers!
RBinnie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
gordonbw
RCC Noob

I am: Gordon BW
Radio of choice:
JR 662
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0

From the 60s, I remember strapping a Jetex 50 onto a North Pacific Star Flyer rubber band model. Also a bunch of Kiel Kraft and Veron printwood kits from the UK. My Jim Walker Interceptor catapult glider, which I lost to a thermal. A styrofoam thingy from Japan called the Electra Fly, which had an electric motor that was powered by a wet cell battery (add salt water). A great towline glider kit that was manufactured in Czechoslovakia -- the ribs and stringers were made of thin pine, not balsa, but it flew really well. And my Sterling ringmaster c/l model.

Wow, I was really into this stuff, even then.
gordonbw is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
ogopogo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John M
Radio of choice:
FrSky Horus 12S
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 12

A couple of posts above on Jetex triggered visions of my home-built balsa rocket circa 1960 with a Jetex "glued" inside. Upon ignition, the rocket promptly fell over, the Jetex tore loose and continued on its own to perfect apogee. After "re-entry" it was located by a hole melted in the snow.
ogopogo is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Cool Re: Interesting flash back

Seeing a guy selling a Sterling kit here got me going on old memories...I spent a whole two years building a B17 bomber when I was 13 and Dad taught me how to use the tissue paper...what a mess that was... and I warped it too and had the iron on steam trying to straighten the wing... wound up the elastics and let it go in the front yard...right into the fire hydrant in front of the house... only the tail was intact...
Dad just looked at me and said...

"Way to go , Lindberg"
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1

LOL!

I saw a Sterling Cirrus at the Kitchener swap meet Saturday, boy did that bring back some memories. Originally a free flight "tow" model, I modified her for single channel escapement and had many hours of fun "tow" gliding over my grandparents field that summer. Later in the year I tried a Hi start ... snapped/peeled the wings off and planted the fuselage resulting in the empenage leaving formation... I never did rebuild her as by then I had my first proportional radio (MRC) installed in a Springbok slope soarer that I modded for hi start and was starting on my first powered RC.... A Sterling Mambo.
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #16
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19

hey Jimmy...I remember another Sterling kit I got years later... spent a whole two years again and got an Enya .19 and a COX Sanwa 6 channel radio for about $700 and got everything done and went to balance it and couldn't figure why one wing was longer than the other by about 2 inches...it was a C\L kit and dint see it on the plans...I had thrown out the box that said it was C\L. Sold the radio for $350 and gave the plane to a neighborhood kid to play with and never did remember where that engine went...oh well.

Ronnie
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
Heliboy
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rob S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceenut View Post
Reminds me of one of my earliest modeling experiences. Built a 12 inch model of Sabre Jet, powered by a Jetex motor. That would be around 1954. 1954??? I just realized how OLD I am.
Ah yes, "Jetex"....as a pair of 8 yr old hellions a friend and I lit the fuse and set one of those off in the back row of the local movie theater during a Saturday morning kids matinee......we cleared the place out in about three minutes flat with volumes of dirty, choking, brown smoke.

I still find it hard to believe how much smoke one of those small plugs could create
Heliboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in