Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 46
Red face Why I buy mailorder

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I buy from the local hobby stores whenever I can. There are however times when I get peeved at the LHS. A recent conversation heard from the proprietor of a LHS -- I don't have to stock all the bits and pieces. If someone wants a part I can order it for him and have it in a week. What is wrong with this scenario? If the LHS is not willing to stock the more common items why is he there? I can order the part myself and get it in a week as well, delivered to my door, and I don't have to make the 30KM round trip to pick it up.
The last time I had a part ordered for me I checked with the store 2 weeks in a row and was told it will be in 'next week'. I finally ordered it myself mail order, and had it delivered to my door by our 'wonderful' postal service in 4 days. The LHS phoned me 5 weeks after I had placed the order and was upset when I told him I ordered it myself and I already had it a week ago and at a considerable savings in price even including shipping. I would like to support the local hobby stores but if they are not willing to support the large ticket items they sell, then it becomes difficult for me to patronize them. By the way the item that was ordered was a roll of red monocote.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
jetbillie
RCC Apprentice

I am: william r
Radio of choice:
JR, what else

Total Props: 0
Cool Re: Why I buy mailorder

you should have called me, I stock lots of monokote @15.00cdn.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #3

Total Props: 57
Re: Why I buy mailorder

I think I know the LHS you're talking about, if it's the one I'm talking about, I do my very best to not buy anything there, they are very lacking in knowledge (I can't believe some of the advice I've heard them give newbies in order to sell a product), their prices are ridiculous, and they rarely have the most commonly needed parts. I've had to go in there for glue and such a couple times but I always walk out feeling like an idiot for allowing my stuff to run out without having ordered more already.
Such is life, I generally buy mail order for most things anyway.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
xv-townboy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
Futaba/Spektrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGM Guitars View Post
I think I know the LHS you're talking about, if it's the one I'm talking about, I do my very best to not buy anything there, they are very lacking in knowledge (I can't believe some of the advice I've heard them give newbies in order to sell a product), their prices are ridiculous, and they rarely have the most commonly needed parts. I've had to go in there for glue and such a couple times but I always walk out feeling like an idiot for allowing my stuff to run out without having ordered more already.
Such is life, I generally buy mail order for most things anyway.

Totally in agreement with this.Everytime i go into that place i tell myself this is last time.The last time was definetly the last time lol.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

We are quite fortunate in our area, Hamilton, to have several good, large hobby stores within reasonable driving distance. 10 minutes across the Skybridge to Burlington and I'm at the closet one to my house. Another 20 minutes down the road and I'm in Streetsville to probably the most well stocked store I personally know of ( Hobby Hobby ) AND then another 10 minutes and your in Toronto where there are a number of stores!

There is a new store right in Hamilton, Hammertown Hobbies, haven't been there yet but I hear they are getting more and more stock all the time. Another store in Paris Ontario about 35 minutes drive away and yet another in Kitchener about 50 min drive one way. Its a bit far and it does sound a bit like the store you go to so I don't go there anymore!

For the most part its the store in Burlington. Prices are a bit more than some of the on line deals but its close, convienient and fast! Most if not all these stores are staffed by very knowledgeable folks who are very willing to be helpful. Everyday common items like Monocote is something a store should have in stock always. And if they sell high ticket items like cars, helis and larger planes, they should have replacement parts in stock which this store has a good supply of.

There is the odd time I've needed something and had to have it ordered but usually its something out of the ordinary and you can't expect any one store to have absolutely everything stocked. Geez, they'd have to have literally millions of dollars worth of stock these days.

So on the whole, we're very fortunate to have these stores and I cannot and do not find much at all to complain about!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:54 PM   #6
Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 46

LGM Guitars
Re your PM, yes it is that hobby store. Unfortunately they are the closest to me except for one other that sells mostly ARFs and doesn't carry a large selection of building supplies. A drive to a good LHS is a good hours drive for me and is not worth the time and gas to shop there.

Gary Maker
you are fortunate to have a selection of good shops to chose from. I have bought from HobbyHobby and found their prices and services good. I did visit the store a while ago on a trip through Toronto.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #7
michael v
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Michael V
Radio of choice:
14MZ
# of RCs: 2

BC guys, I feel your pain.
Here in the big city of Montreal we have the same problem.
We have a store here that I wish I could use but one of the workers there is just to hard to deal with and so I stay away. The last time I was there was for 2 bolts, I had called ahead to make sure it was in stock and to hold it for me, when I arived that worker had sold it on me and wanted to know it I wanted it ordered. It is too bad to because this store would kill all of the other stores in the area if that worker was not so difficult to deal with. The other (there are two main people) is the best shop keeper I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. So now I mail order most of my stuff also. The key is to have two planes so when one is down and waiting for the mail ordered parts you have the other
michael v is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Sonic Boomer

Only two ?
Sonic Boomer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Maker View Post
and yet another in Kitchener about 50 min drive one way. Its a bit far and it does sound a bit like the store you go to so I don't go there any more
I live local to this one and another one with the name of RC Guys on the door. The first one, when I go in there, unless the owner is there I get the feeling they are there to do me a favor. They never seem to come and help you find what you are looking for. The other the guy is always complaining about people buying stuff on line and he can't compete with those prices . Yet he finds nothing wrong with ordering his store items from the USA and going to pick them up in the U S,to cut out the Canadian distributor so he can make more money. So youve got it, I buy an awful lot online and here compared to my LHS

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.

Last edited by hifly2104; 12-21-2008 at 10:22 AM.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

It is nice to have so many stores close at hand. My nearest is 240k's round trip and it makes it difficult to get there with what it costs now a days for travel. I understand there may be a store opening in Lethbridge which I would have more chance of dealing with as my son lives there.
One store in Calgary I have a problem with as they change staff quite regularly and some of them make you think it is an honour to deal with them or I am kind of dumb when I want something a little out of the norm or they won't get off there butt as they are reading the latest mag off the rack.
There I did my venting for the day.
John
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in