RCBOYZ.COM question - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
imported_t-prince
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
RCBOYZ.COM question

anyone order from rcboyz.com?

they have really cheap prices..
i ordered $130 worth of parts from them for my revo(rpm arms, foc kit, turnbuckles, axle carriers, tekno mount, pro-line high downforce wing, etc.) and i checked how much it would cost if i ordered from towerhobbies and it was about $30 cheaper.. plus when i checked out it didnt charge me shipping?! i think it's an error but whatever.. my question is for people who have ordered from this site who is in toronto or at lest canada.. is there anything i have to pay when it arrives? (c.o.d/customs?)
imported_t-prince is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:01 AM   #2

Total Props: 57
I have bought a few things from RCBOYZ through e-bay.They do have really good prices on alot of stuff.I bought a new LRP esc last year from them.I had to pay a bit of duty on it at the post office when it came.Im not sure what the deal is on the shipping not showing when you checked out.I have always had to pay the shipping up front.I have also heard that its better to have stuff shipped from the states through the mail (USPS) not courier.Might take a couple days longer but couriers usually ding you with brokerage fees plus they charge more.Anyone can correct me if I am wrong on this though,I have always just used the mail myself.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
Doc
RCC Contributor

I am: Derek R

You are correct about the couriers. Do not have them send anything UPS or Fedex. The brokerage fees will cost you as much as the product. Always have them ship it USPS aka postal as there are no customs brokerage fees with Canada Post.

Also, never be afraid to ask them to mark it as a gift on the customs form. That way you do not pay any taxes when you pick it up at the postoffice. About 80% of the ebay retailers will do this no problem if you ask.
Doc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
imported_t-prince
RCC Junior Contributor

thanks for the info but im not really sure what you guys just said about usps/courier but before i checked out it said airmail parcel post? then when i checked out it didn't charge me on shipping..

also, since i'm here are the rpm axle carriers any good? i broke 2 stock ones, the pivot balls cracked them after a head on collision with my neighbour's garage, damn trigger got stock on the tq3
Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
imported_lloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash Riprock View Post
....I had to pay a bit of duty on it at the post office when it came.Im not sure what the deal is on the shipping not showing when you checked out.I have always had to pay the shipping up front.....
The duty you were charged has nothing to do with the vendor in the US, it's our government who charges these fees. When you buy stuff from outside of Canada you are liable for duty and GST. And if you're lucky the couriers will charge you brokerage, that's basically a service charge their troubles of charging you GST/Duty.

If you send by USPS, once it reaches Canada, Canada Post takes over, they charge a flat fee of $5.00 for their brokerage, much less than others so they're generally not as 'motivated' to charge you duty/gst.

Some general rules of thumb when buying from the US:
-use USPS whenever possible, avoid UPS their really BAD about the charges
-keep your purchases under $20 as duty/gst will not be applied
-don't blame the vendor, if you complain to them they may stop selling to Canadians because of all the negative comments they receive.

Leon.
imported_lloo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
imported_t-prince
RCC Junior Contributor

oh, so would "airmail parcel post" be usps? and by ups u mean the brown uniform people or fedex type? lol sorry, new to shipping and stuff =S
Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #7

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-prince View Post
oh, so would "airmail parcel post" be usps? and by ups u mean the brown uniform people or fedex type? lol sorry, new to shipping and stuff =S
Yup USPS=airmail/mail ups=brown dudes/bandits
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
imported_t-prince
RCC Junior Contributor

cool, thanks guys, how about those rpm knuckles? anyone have any experience with them? how are they compared to the stock ones?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
imported_lloo

Buying stuff from outside of Canada....

All the gory details can be found here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/...tml#P158_21086
imported_lloo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 PM   #10
The ROC
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: R.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-prince View Post
anyone order from rcboyz.com?

they have really cheap prices..
i ordered $130 worth of parts from them for my revo(rpm arms, foc kit, turnbuckles, axle carriers, tekno mount, pro-line high downforce wing, etc.) and i checked how much it would cost if i ordered from towerhobbies and it was about $30 cheaper.. plus when i checked out it didnt charge me shipping?! i think it's an error but whatever.. my question is for people who have ordered from this site who is in toronto or at lest canada.. is there anything i have to pay when it arrives? (c.o.d/customs?)
rcboyz was my only place I bought my T-Maxx and Revo stuff online/ebay.
Great prices at the time but there are afew RC ebay stores that sell for alittle cheaper now and with our dollar soooo good I can't help but shop in the US. But back to your question... when it came to my orders and depending on how they packaged it and the value, most times (90%)I did not have to pay custom fees. I had ordered a set of crime fighters awhile ago and yes I got hit with customs but for RPM items that was sent to me in a bubble wrap envelope... no I did not have to pay any custom fees.

rcboyz have been around for some time now, over 5 years, and at the time they would have wrote down a lesser value or write it as a gift but now they pretty much write down the true value of the item being shipped, at least in my case.
The ROC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in