Questions for Baja owners... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
The ROC
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: R.C.

Total Props: 0
Questions for Baja owners...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Been to the HPI BAJA Forum and did some reading but it's a Baja forum so 99.99% of them love their Baja and use nothing else, so they say.

Anyhow I know some of you have one mixed into your R/C collection and want to know is the Baja the one you use the most now and the rest are just dust collectors or do you still stick to using your the nitro rc's?

I like to get another rc but my next purchase is one I don't want to regret. I was thinking about getting the new Jammin CRT .5 when it comes out but at the same time I know the gassers are easy to run and start especially during the cold season which we all know the nitro engines hate... too much tune time and less run time.

I don't race nor will I have time to race even if I wanted to, so my revo and TC's are just for bashing around when I have the chance. My job hours is ever changing so I bash on what ever time I have. That is why I was thinking of the CRT .5 (nitro, small and easy to run) and just keep it in my trunk of my car and if I'm working a split-shift I cal pull it out and run it for abit.

So Baja owners what is your input on buying a HPI Baja?

Thanks.
The ROC is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
love mine to bits. best all around vehicle you can own, in my opinion. motors last for years if oil is mixed correctly. costs 60 cents to run for 40 minutes. runs like a champ. plenty of torque and speed. plenty of upgrades available. only a couple minor downfalls from bad parts. other pluses - it comes completely RTR - just add gas and aa batteries for the tx. its literally pull the cord and go. the pullstart is heavy duty. will last a long long time. its got plush suspension - it doesnt 'bounce' over ruts and bumps like some other largescales do. completely raceable out of the box, too. hauls , as a matter of fact, on a track. goes on terrain that nitro can't go. you can even run it in sand with far less 'penalties' than a nitro. you can also quickly strip the electronics, cover the air filter and pressurewash the damned thing. its awesome.
since i got the baja, my nitros have been reserved for what they do best - and thats race. theres nothing like racing an 8th scale buggy. its a thrill a minute. but theres nothign like bashing the baja - its more like a thrill a second!
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:46 AM   #3
imported_marcus

GUMP is pretty much spot on the mark.
Not only the Baja, but any 1/5th scale is just soooo easy to live with.

It's not just the reliability of the motor and the cheapness of fuel, but they are so much less fiddly to work on.

If there is a negative, its that these things are big so it needs more thought about where to go with them and indeed how to get them there.
  Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
imported_RC-SUPERMAN

Since I have gotten into the Big scale I no longer own any Nitors. I figure if your not racing go with the big scale stuff to bash with. Have a look at the Duratrax Firehammer truck too. It looks awsome.
imported_RC-SUPERMAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
Grandmaster G
RCC Expert Contributor

I had the opposite effect as the above......

I bought a BAJA and got bored of it very fast......extremely bored

1/5 may be durable but when it comes to pure fun...ramps..jumps...general bashing at a school or rec centre.....nothing beats 1/8

I just found the Baja to be limited in its bashing capabilities.....like i said....apart from the fact its tough..........it extremely limited compared to 1/8 scale.....

I'll never buy a 1/5 again

of course this is just my opinion as others may find 1/5 to be the best thing since sliced bread
Grandmaster G is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
imported_budmancan
RCC Contributor

I am: Jason B

I agree with Nino, since going 1/5 scale there is no looking back. I have two children that love RC's and nothing is better for them. When we were running nitros I was doing nothing else but tuning theirs and restarting them. Now its fill with gas, start and they run for 45 minutes. Were we run the 1/5 scales are lasting longer and are cheaper to fix. Jumping wise there are about the same but you need alot of room to run them, and a big wallet just for the initial cost. Then like every RC you have to hop it up. Another good large scale site that is just starting up is www.5thscaleracing.com. The website is into all large scale and not just HPI.
imported_budmancan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
cyclop
RCC Master Contributor

from the sounds of things for yourself i would say get one and you'll be hooked .. pull and play .. but just like everything .. it will break .. and you'll hop it up .. just like that one guy said "he got Bored of it " because your "not " Constantly mucking with it .. GAS & GO !!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
imported_RC-SUPERMAN

I do miss messing around with my own Nitros, But I still do work for my LHS so that keeps me busy. I must say that I will probably be picking up a Nitro truck soon. The only draw back of the big scales for me is the space to run them. With the 1/8 me and my body would just set up a ramp on the yard and have some fun, with the 1/5 we have to drive to teh nearest open area.
imported_RC-SUPERMAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
The ROC
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: R.C.

Thanks for the input.

I'm still thinking it over but getting close to my decision and even more so when I was trying to start my revo and the G plug failed on me and stalling because of the cold air this afternoon that it made me think of getting the Baja... like you said Gas and Go and no need to tune and no glow plugs just a regular spark plug.

Talked it over with my wife and she says not to sell my nitro stuff just yet and beside I only have 2 nitros and and afew electrics so adding one more won't hurt.

Space wise to run the Baja... I'll have place to go near my home and where I work there's a very big parking lot for us employees that I can use.

Cheers.
The ROC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
imported_offroader
RCC Master Contributor

Thumbs up

I would agree with most guys a lot less headaces less tinkering with adjustments uses regular fuel not Nitro no Glow plugs to worry about and easy to start. The only draw back is you really need a larger area to run unlike the smaller Nitros all you need is a smaller area. I do still have Nitros and will always have a few on hand to head over to the track to run with buddies.
imported_offroader is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in