Servo connections - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
BigJohn
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: john g
Radio of choice:
Spektrum dx8

Total Props: 4
Servo connections

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK not a big problem as I can order what I need if one of my buddy's don't have what I might need.OK I have a bunch of 24" gold heavy dutie servo wires(very nice)but I'm putting together my Yak and it call for 36" servo leads.So what I have is 24" gold heavy dutie and 12" gold heavy dutie.So the question put out here is can I safely use them put together or should I just spring for some 36" one piece units.I have no worry about them coming apart as I use heat shrink tubing to hold them together.I'm not sure if I lose to much with the extra connection in the middle or not.Like I said its not a problem to buy 36" but if I don't need to why should I as well the servo's are not digital or coreless just some analog heavy duties servos.Thanks for any help with this,John

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Re: Servo connections

John, I've done the same thing with my Yak on the Elevator servos. 2- 24" extentions and 2-12" extention to get the connections from the rear of the plane to the receiver. I've tested it out thouroughly and have absolutely NO problem with this setup. Range test was just fine also. Your using the HD extentions which I believe are 22AWG so you should experience no line voltage drop or signal loss. I honestly didn't for sure!

On our 50' outdoor blimps, the servo extentions are around 20' - 25' long and use Y Harnesses that are another 6' long to split the line for both elevator halves and the dual rudder fins. Without using anything to boost power we get a good signal with no glitches what so ever using a Hitec Optic 6 Radio and a standard Supreme 8 channel RX. Servos are 4-HS985MG's. So I doubt you will have any problem with coupling 2 extentions together to get your 36" length dispite your worries about the extra connector.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Last edited by Gary Maker; 05-19-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
BigJohn
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: john g
Radio of choice:
Spektrum dx8

Total Props: 4

Thanks Gary as I'm using the new 2.4 JR 9303 in this plane I thought I would post it out there.Its just I have the stuff on hand so I wasn't sure if there was any real need to worry about it.I just receive my $50 rebate from Great Planes so I have to use it for something so I might get a couple 36" ones from one of the supplers that I can as well I'm going to get one of those Great Plane painted pilots with it.I'm going to use the 24"+12" for the time being as I'm just setting up the plane and won't be flying untill I finish putting it all together.John
Old 05-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin King
Radio of choice:
12x
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 44

Power Losses In Servo Extensions

Servo Extension Length Expected Torque Loss
6" 1.5%
12" 2%
18" 2.5%
24" 3%
36" 4%
48" 5%

Taken from troy built models. (those figures include connectors)
YoungestPiperCub is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungestPiperCUb View Post
Power Losses In Servo Extensions

Servo Extension Length Expected Torque Loss
6" 1.5%
12" 2%
18" 2.5%
24" 3%
36" 4%
48" 5%

Taken from troy built models. (those figures include connectors)
Using the above figures, your talking about a 1% loss in torque per foot of extention.

A 36" extention used with a Hitec HS5955TG Coreless Digital Servo would mean a 13.32 in/oz of torque loss at 6.0v, leaving a torque of 319.68 in/oz. This is pretty miniminal.

ALSO is the above chart for standard servo extentions or Heavy Duty extentions, because it would make quite a difference depending on the AWG wire used?? There would definitely be less loss if using HD 22 AWG extentions as opposed to STD extentions. And some of the larger setups use even heavier wired extentions.

There are other factors to take into consideration also. Most people use heavier than called for servos anyway, so even a 4 or 5% loss will remain miniminal, so is of no real concern! It is interesting to see those figures though, thanks for sharing that info!

BigJohn,

I make all of my own extention now. Purchased a crimping tool, 50' of 22 AWG twisted silicone servo wire, and 40 each of the gold plated male and female connectors/pins from Thunderbolt RC. Took me a couple of tries to get it perfect with the crimping tool, but now, no sweat getting super quality extentions.

I made all the custom extentions and "Y's" for my AW Yak 54, the H9 Edge 540, and my Tree Hopper. The nice thing about making your own, beside beeing much cheeper, is that you can make them the exact size needed, instead of having to loop up and tie off inches of wire thats not needed. Where it called for 36" extentions in the Yak, I made them 30" to get an exact length. Makes for a much neater looking installation.

I figured out the retail cost of all the extentions made and I have more than paid for the crimping tool and all the wire and connectors! And I still have more than 50% of the stuff left to make more extentions. Its a great deal!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Old 05-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
VERTOL
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Extending servo leads.

Just buy a pack of 10 feet length servo wire AWG #22 by MPI only $7.99.
You will also need heat shrink tubing and some solder.

Cut the original servo wire (attached to the servo) in the middle, strip the ends to expose
wire just enough (5 to 10 mm).
Cut a piece of wire from the 10 feet AWG #22, making sure you have enough length of
run from the servo to the receiver, include slack and extra in case you use ferrite rings,
strip wires and solder to both ends of servo and connector
(don't forget the heat shrink tube on all the soldered connections).

You have made a simple and more reliable connection that still retains the original servo
connector.

For long servo runs sometimes you need to install a ferrite ring (choke) specially when
used on 72 mHz ( has something to do w/ the long servo wire becoming an entry point
for RF interference.

my cheap suggestion.
(I say cheap because you will do more than one servo)
VERTOL is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59

John,

It's OK to join the 12" and 24" together. Just get a piece of 3/8" x 1.5" length of heatshrink tubing and shrink it down over the connection point so the connectors will not vibrate loose and come apart.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin King
Radio of choice:
12x
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 44

Those figures are using 22 gauge wires and standard connestors. I would agree the loss would be very minimal and you could just put the two together. If you had to make 20 foot extensions though dont plug 40 6" extensions together though it would not work to well hahaha

Take Care
YoungestPiperCub is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungestPiperCUb View Post
Those figures are using 22 gauge wires and standard connestors. I would agree the loss would be very minimal and you could just put the two together. If you had to make 20 foot extensions though dont plug 40 6" extensions together though it would not work to well hahaha

Take Care
Now that an easy one to fully agree with! lol!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in