Polyurethane Glue - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 11:01 AM   #1
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Polyurethane Glue

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Maybe this glue is old news to some of you but I have been experimenting with it lately for some uses and I like it.
The one Im using is Elmers brand I bought at Wally Mart US 4 Fl Oz size,But its available under other names including my favorite,Gorilla Glue
I like it for hinging and pinning fire walls in particular since this stuff expands as it hardens and fills in cavities around my Robart hinge point installations,and wood screws driven in to reinforce firewalls.
You must use moisture to activate this stuff so you moisten one surface ,put glue on the other and wait for the set up to begin.I use Q tips to moisten (not wet) the holes for hinges or pins ,dab the glue on the hinge or screw,and put it in place.
You should wipe away excess glue as it foams and sets.Make sure to oil the hinge line as you would normally.
Dont dispense the glue from the container onto the moist surface.......if you do the bottle will start setting up and eventually set solid.Squeeze a little into a small container for each job and re -seal the bottle immediately.
Works for me
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
prangled prop

Total Props: 0
I have used it for hinging and really like it. Makes a really strong joint with little mess.
prangled prop is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
rubbie
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Christopher P.
Radio of choice:
JR

This is the best stuff for skinning balsa on foam for wings and putting formers in.
rubbie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #4
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Kev, I buy mine from one of our industrial suppliers. My cost is $10 for 1/2 litre... a lot cheaper than the hardware store (here, Elmers brand costs $12 for 240 ml)

Let me know if you need a bottle...
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:29 PM   #5
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Janne B

I noticed Gorilla glue being carried at our local HomeHardware. I would like to try it on a sheeted wing.
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:57 PM   #6
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
It is used for covering cores but apparently you have to make sure not to use too much glue since the pressure of the expansion will distort the wing if you over do it.........I was reading an article the other day in which the builder used five large grey construction bricks over a steel plate to weigh down the panel while the glue set
I have not used this stuff for wing cores myself so i dont know if this is overkill...........Whats your experience Rubbie?
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:01 PM   #7
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Kev, I have some low-foaming PUA glue also if you want to try it for sheeting. Same glue, but formulated not to expand, I buy it for use on countertops and veneers where you cant have a bubble under the skin.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:41 AM   #8
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Kevin,
He probably has experiance with it and wants the weight for the foaming and lifting of the sheeting. I also use a lot when using epoxy but never weighed it. When vacu-forming it is automatic when pulling as there is higher pressure per sq.in. until you crush it. Been there with that. I think also you want a piece of wax paper top and bottom for all the glue especially the poly. since it has a foaming action. I am going to try it soon because I like the idea of the foaming and getting into the cores.
John
Old 10-09-2004, 11:59 AM   #9

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McGrath
It is used for covering cores but apparently you have to make sure not to use too much glue since the pressure of the expansion will distort the wing if you over do it.........I was reading an article the other day in which the builder used five large grey construction bricks over a steel plate to weigh down the panel while the glue set
I have not used this stuff for wing cores myself so i dont know if this is overkill...........Whats your experience Rubbie?
You can mix Poly U with water first, let it expand for 15 minutes then apply it, it will still expand slightly but not as much as if you put it on virgin. I know a number of people who do this for expansion critical areas.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:31 PM   #10
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan1
Kevin,
He probably has experiance with it and wants the weight for the foaming and lifting of the sheeting. I also use a lot when using epoxy but never weighed it. When vacu-forming it is automatic when pulling as there is higher pressure per sq.in. until you crush it. Been there with that. I think also you want a piece of wax paper top and bottom for all the glue especially the poly. since it has a foaming action. I am going to try it soon because I like the idea of the foaming and getting into the cores.
John
I have just sheeted my 35% Carden Edge wings with polyurethane and am happy with the results. For the 35% wings carden recommends 300 to 400 pounds of weight be placed over the cores. For a 40% wing they recommend 400 to 500 pounds. This is so the foaming action of the glue does not lift the sheet off the foam but rather forces the glue into the voids between the foam beads. The glue can literally be forced into the foam 2 or 3 beads deep. They also told me not to bother wetting anything unless I lived in the desert. I didn't use any water and it worked great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in