radio issue - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
saildoctor
RCC Noob

I am: John K
Radio of choice:
I have an airtronics, avenger 2X
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
radio issue

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have an airtronics Avenger 2X, I powered it up to see how it works and for some reason the servo motors dont respond to any commands. I have batteries in both the receiver and the transmitter and the power wires to the motors from the receiver are plugged in, I looked at the frequency numbers and they are the same. I am at a loss as to why this is happening... help.
saildoctor is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
dean2287
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8
Re: radio issue

Not sure if the Airtronics servos have universal connectors, but if so make sure they are not plugged in backwards. Same goes for the Rx battery. Just a thought.
fly2bfree
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Maybe you plugged in the servos backwards?

Also, physically inspect the crystals. Sometimes a RX sticker will say "38" but the previous owner might have put in a crystal on a different channel- I have seen that happen at the field several times, once with disastrous results when the owner "pegged" onto a channel that was indicated on his TX. He thought he was pegged on a free channel but he forgot that he swapped out the crystal for another channel months ago but didn’t change the sticker on the radio..... He shot down another plane when he switched on...
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
saildoctor
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:

The radio was purchased new, so I believe, at a hobby show in 2001, It has been in my possesion this whole time, I opened the box last week put batteries in and this is where I am. I would have to think that the crystals are what they are as the radio has never been out of my possesion. I will check the servo plugs . Thank you for your input.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Max
Administrator

Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

If its a new radio then it should be OK..

If the servo's are bias connection, then you should only be able to plug them in one way. They are the original "Airtronics" servo's right? If you have a radio you bought in 2001, then it probably uses the older style plugs- these servo's had the positive lead on the outside and the negative lead in the center pin of the plug. The modern Airtronics radios now have wiring similar to Futaba and JR, with the negative on the outside and the positive on the center pin.

Also, double check that both your transmitter and Receiver batteries are fully charged. Check them with a voltmeter if you have one.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

You've checked mostly all I would have recommended. Only thing I can add is the transmitter should have some method to indicate POWER ON and battery charge. If you have that then I would suspect your problem is with the receiving end, (if not then use the same info I'm adding in a second for the Rx part of it).

As Max mentioned, there has been a change in the Airtronics servo pin orientation since your purchase to make them more standardized, (you can do this yourself by reversing the power and ground in the plug). Anyway, if you have used the servos that originally came with the radio that should work.

Same with the power switch and battery. You would need what came with the radio system and this is where I think your problem is located. If you purchased a new Rx pack, (and/or Tx pack) you would likely find the power and ground leads reversed to your needs. That goes for the receiver power switch.

You can adapt new batteries to this system, but it would take a tiny bit of work.

p.s Make sure the crystals are fully and correctly seated and the pins are straight. Sometimes the Rx can be a bit of a pain and the pins can miss the sockets. If none of the suggestions made here help, then perhaps your crystals have drifted over time or cracked.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Max
Administrator

Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Another item now that I read Cougar's post-

I have seen guys plug the battery into the charge lead and wonder why the radio doesnt power up when the put the switch to the "on" position.

So for now, bypasss the switch entirely and plug the battery directly into the reciever. Note the + and - leads on the servo leads where they plug into the reciever- your battery should have the same orientation when plugged in as well.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

The photos of this radio I've seen online only have battery holders- no rechargeables at all

So-
Fresh batteries?

LEDs on? (on transmitter)

Servos twitch when you switch it on? (it's AM, it should)

red or black plug on the battery/switch harness? (the red plug (BEC plug) may be plugged in wrong)
Old 11-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
saildoctor
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:

The Radio has three leds on it, and they all light up and radio beeps, when switched on, A red and two greens. No, the servos do not twitch when the radio is switched on, I also plugged the battery pack directly inot the receiver, all plugs are shaped so they do not go in the wrong way this seems to be leading to a problem with the crystals. Maybe I should bring the unit to the local hobby shop to see if this is the issue.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

Look for broken wires. Pulling the plug by the wires will eventually break the wires. Take hold of the plug, grab the wire an inch or so from the plug and pull gently. If the insulation stretches you have a broken wire. Repeat with all the plugs. Also if you push on the the wire near the plug and things start to operate, broken wire.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in