Will this ever happen!!, i sure hope it should happen... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Will this ever happen!!, i sure hope it should happen...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys,

There is slight hope Concorde will fly again....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4734799.stm

http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/2569174/

What do you guys think of this Happening again?, do you fellows think she will get back in sky once again, i sure hope if it happens, it will be historic event and Concorde will grase skies and turn heads again....I hope to see her "Queen of skies" fly again....

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
Muldoer
RCC Junior Contributor

Flyable for airshows and special events, fine. But flyable to start transporting passengers again, I say build a new, more efficient and cost effective airplane.

The airframes are so old I would even step in one. Can you say stress fatigue?

Sure its an engineering marvel, but so was the Spitfire. Do you see spits in front line squadrons nowadays?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Actually just before Air France's Concorde unfortunate crash, both airlines D checked whole fleet of Concordes, In that process they also extended airframes life for another 15 years for revenue Pax service, and after the accident whole fleet of both airlines installed kevlar liners in fuel cells and refitted new landing gears with new type of tires which wouldn't shatter when they get punchered on all flying airframes.....

If any of these jets ever flew again and if i got chance to fly in Concorde i will with my eyes closed....

As for new ones, i don't think there is any jet of this nature on drawing programs even, there is no need for speed anymore, so far manufactures are going after volume then speed..

Cheers,
Sammy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g-boacblowntyre_191.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	13865  

Old 01-26-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan

As for new ones, i don't think there is any jet of this nature on drawing programs even, there is no need for speed anymore, so far manufactures are going after volume then speed..
Cheers,
Sammy
And......fuel economy!!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
ThePeej

I've always been saddened by the fantastic history of amazing aviation innovation contrasted against the seeming stagnation of curent exploration in the industry.

--> I feel like I was born too late!

I would love to have been around when war fueled ego, and ego built the impossible! From the first jet fighters, to the SR-71 ( RS-71 ) to Concorde, and the Appollo rockets, Lunar Landings! All of them touch my imagination and spirit of exploration and discovery in a way none of todays "UAV" or "Robotic" experimental supersonic ram jets ever could. Something about the fact that we had to naturally and very humanly interface with these awesome machines really speaks to me. Man's ability to create what was once impossible, and to control it in a real and tactile way amazes and inspires me! I fear we will never see such brash and daring achievements again. Everything is too much about profit and practicality now.

Once again I make the point that I understand war, greed, and power hunger fueled a lot of these advancements. So in that respect it's wonderfull that we are free of such massive global conflicts. But one can not deny the effect they have on our progression into the unknown.

Sammy, as fancifull as it may seem, I too share your dream of seeing the Concorde fly again with enthusiasm and bewilderment. Who cares if it's "impractical" or "expensive" or "ineficient." The sheer fact that we CAN means we SHOULD!

Like Captain James T. Kirk once said to his good and "logical" friend Mr. Spock. "I climb it, because it's there"

!!

ThePeej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Hi Peej,

It was hard to see Concorde leaving toronto for the last time on 1st an 2nd of Octuber 2003 at top of T1 then, i still remeber hearing its powerfull RR Olympus engines roar on Rwy 33R and blasting off in to TO's skies for the last fight out!...Let see how far this petition goes but i am sure airframes are in excellent condition to brought back to airworthy coniditon if finally decided to re launch Concorde...

Just the year when Air France's Needle nose jet crashed, we at airport were ready to greet this awsome jet and to service it, i had been waiting for couple year's before to service this awsome beast...

Cheers,
Sammy
Old 01-26-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldoer
....The airframes are so old I would even step in one. Can you say stress fatigue?....
Airframes become stressed according to the number of hours they fly. Age has only a small affect on them.

Since the Concorde takes only a short time to cross the ocean it's airframe is still relatively new and doesn't have that many hours on it.

cheers
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:27 AM   #8
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

As far as stress and fatigue go, there are far older 747's than the Concorde is and these are still flying. I tend to agree with Ken, that the time in the air plays an important roll in the amount of metal fatigue these airframes receive. However the stresses involved with prolonged supersonic flight may also accelerate the stress deterioration equation. If I remember right the Concorde has a section in the cabin floor the expands as the whole airframe expands from the heat involved with supersonic flight. This has to take its toll on the metal used to build the airframe. These things can be tested and determined to be safe or not by people far more edumacated than me. Hopefully they are right.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Well that is what they check when aircraft goes for D check!, aircraft get completely stripped down to bare hulk and then its inspected throughly down to each mm of the airframe, this takes few months before aircraft is back to flying status again...its very complexed procedure specially with Concordes!, In reality Concordes accumulate more fatugue and stress then regular aircraft due to contraction and expansion with supersonic prolonged flights...this is only aircraft that fly constantly on long durations of time in supersonic speeds then any other aircraft including fighters!, with only exception to SR-71 which flys at Mach 3+ at almost 100.000' for long durations also...

Cheers,
Sammy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	concode_in_bare_metal_657.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	13864  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in