Poly-Fiber Stitts covering system - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Thunder Chicken
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 18
Poly-Fiber Stitts covering system

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Has anyone used this Poly-Fiber covering system?
http://www.stits.com/RC_Model_instructions.html

Good friends of mine who fly super cubs for a living rebuild their cubs with it (only difference is they use the regular covering material vs the stits lite) and really like it. Easy to put on, easy to repair and it holds up well over time.

I am building a Unionville Norseman (with a gas engine) and do not want to use iron-on plastic coverings. I was going to use Koverall, nitrate dope and latex paint. But koverall is hard to find right now. This method looks like it would be the same labour, and depending on shipping, about the same costs. (maybe a bit more)

Has anyone else used this stuff? comments?!
Thanks!
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18
Re: Poly-Fiber Stitts covering system

I have used a lot of Stits on homebuilts and ultra-lights. It is great stuff, all polyurethane and resists most fuel and oils. If you canvas your local A/C clubs you can usually find someone with some you can try. Aircraft Spruce or Levans Aviation have stock here in Ontario. It is a three part system. Poly brush, Poly spray (aluminum colour) and a colour coat. They are all air dry and identical chemically. After it is dry and you find a crease or similar defect you can put some aluminum foil over it and Iron it out. Aircraft Spruce use to sell non certified fabric for half price. The fabric is 60" wide and comes in 1.7 oz weight. It is not a really shiny paint. But you can use the first two coats and put just about anything over it. There are A/C epoxy paints that are really shiny and durable.

Kip
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #3

Total Props: 57
Re: Poly-Fiber Stitts covering system

I have used it several times. It works best with larger airframes as it’s a bit heavier.

This is the smallest model that I used the Stits on http://www.stits.com/documents/crew_bristol.html

I have used it on a Balsa USA Citabria Pro. Sig PT 26 1/6 scale and a 1/4 scale Aeronca.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~denpratt/My%2...s/Bristol.html
http://home.cogeco.ca/~denpratt/My%2.../Citabria.html
http://home.cogeco.ca/~denpratt/My%2...s/PT%2026.html
http://home.cogeco.ca/~denpratt/My%2...s/Aeronca.html

I like the stuff and will use it on any fabric covered model of a reasonable size. The Bristol was a bit small and was a handful because of the weight.

The covering is polyester, the paint is vinyl base and you can scrub it with bleach without harming it. They also have a rejuvenator to restore it when it becomes stained. You apply it just like the full size product. You have to be careful when shrinking it as it can crush or distort the airframe if you are not careful. You must use a thermometer to set temperatures as one temp is for forming the fabric, another for smoothing defects and 3 stages of shrinkage. Full size requires you to progressively shrink until you reach the highest shrink temp however with the models this is not necessary. Shrink until you get the required tension. It is not recommended to use a heat gun as the temp is too high. This will cause the fabric to elongate again and it cannot be re-shrunk.

The fumes from the paint and solvents are extremely flammable and the fumes not good for you. Respirator is recommended. I paint with the furnace off and a slight breeze coming through the garage. With my back to the breeze I do not even smell it. This stuff is designed to be used in less than ideal temperatures so it works well even in cooler times. I have heated up the garage in the dead of winter and prepared everything. I turn off the furnace (electronic no pilot light) open both doors and paint. Once the garage has cleared I close up and restart the furnace.

I am going to try using the fabric and glue but for paint I would like to give Klass Kote a try. I will do this on a sample piece.

Dennis

Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in