Total Props: 232
Goodbye DSM?

Folks who presently own Spektrum radios might not be too happy to see this
(Myself included)

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php?...&topic=73700.0

Specifically here:
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/...html#msg826504

Quote:
Okay, Have been given permission to release....

JR will be bringing out their own 2.4 GHz systems on new future systems. Their new 7 channel system is undergoing full CE testing at the moment and for aircraft use it will be full FHSS.

It is hoped to be in production in October, they will be dropping the DSMJ system and from what I can gather, no longer manufacturing DSM2 FOR NEW SYSTEMS.

They will still be supporting the DSM2 for some period of time.

Their entry level set is called the XG7 and supports telemetry. The receiver is fitted with 2 long antennas ( similar to Futaba/Hitec) and comes with a telemetry sender. Currently it is for Rx battery voltage but you will be able to add additional probes to it.

For those of you heading to the NATS this weekend, it will be there.

Transmitter styling is that of the 2720/DX7.

As it is a completely new system and not based on Spektrums hardware, there is no compatibility or upgrade path with DSM2.

Also mentioned on RC model reviews:
Quote:
Here is some info posted earlier this year, on RCmodel reviews:

NEWS: JR Now Pushing Its Frequency Hopping System
WHY FREQUENCY HOPPING?

Dated: 16 Apr 2010

JR users in Australia, New Zealand and the UK have noticed recently that the company is pushing its DSM-J system in preference to the previous commitment to DSM2.

What's behind this move and just what is the difference between DSM-2 and DSM-J?

A little history
For many years now, JR has been pushing DSM2 as its 2.4GHz standard, both in the USA and most other marketplaces.

It became clear that JR found the Spektrum-designed DSM2 system to be the shortest route into the spread-spectrum market and one presumes that some kind of deal was done that gave Spektrum access to one of JR's transmitter designs (on which the original DX6 was based) in return for making the RF side of things available to JR.

The only problem was that DSM2 is a DSSS system which uses just two portions of the band and doesn't hop once a link is established between transmitter and receiver.

In some countries, non-hopping systems are restricted to much lower power levels than those that do hop so this left JR with a problem. Even in its homeland of Japan, the DSM2 system was actually illegal, since it had a power output well in excess of the 10mW allowed for non-hopping systems.

To cater for this special market, JR devised the DSM-J system -- a system that reportedly provides full-time frequency hopping so as to meet the more stringent Japanese rules for the 2.4GHz band.

Although DSM-J was widely sold in Japan, the rest of the world were not offered this more frequency-agile option and thus DSM2 was the only choice on the menu for the rest of us.

JR now pushing DSM-J
But now things seem to have changed and JR is strongly promoting its frequency-hopping DSM-J system in a growing range of countries outside of Japan; countries that were previously only offered DSM2.

So what's behind this change of heart on the part of JR?

To be honest, I have nothing but speculation to offer but here's what I think may be happening...

JR would like to break away from DSM2 as its 2.4GHz offering for several reasons.

Firstly, it would allow them to provide a more resilient 2.4GHz connection than DSM2 is able to offer. As seen in this test, DSM2 is occasionally vulnerable to strong interference that would leave a frequency-hopping system unaffected.

Secondly, I suspect that JR doesn't like the fact that purchasers of its DSM2-based 2.4GHz radios can source cheaper receivers under the Spektrum label, effectively ignoring the pricier JR-branded offerings. Since DSM-J is completely incompatible with DSM2, the switch would be another move (just like Futaba's S-Bus) by a major manufacturer to "lock-in" customers to their own branded products.

What about U.S.A. JR-users?
Again I only have suspicions but I think that US customers will be denied the benefits of DSM-J for a while longer, mainly because the US Spektrum distributor (Horizon Hobby Inc) are also the JR distributors.

As distributors of both, Horizon would probably prefer to see its JR customers given as wide a choice of receivers as possible, and that means sticking with DSM2.

Testing DSM-J
Now I'd love to say that I have a review of the DSM-J system all lined up and ready to do but, unfortunately, I don't.

For some reason, the big-name RC brands (except Hitec) seem totally unwilling to provide equipment for truly independent review purposes. Sure, they'll send samples off to RCU and RCG where they can rely on nothing but effusive praise -- but when it comes to RCModelReviews.com where the truth is worth more than any amount of advertising dollars, they're just not interested.

You'll have to figure out why that is for yourselves but perhaps the DSM2 flaw I highlighted recently and every other "paid" reviewer seems to have ignored might provide some clue.

If I can, I'll try to convince someone using a DSM-J system to lend it to me for review purposes -- or maybe JR will step up to the plate and show that they have real faith in this system by organising a review sample, who knows?

RCModelReviews.com readers are invited to lobby JR and suggest they submit a DSM-J system for honest and objective review here.

In the meantime, we'll just have to wait and see.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
airbourne
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jeff F

Total Props: 4
Re: Goodbye DSM?

As a DSM2 user, I for one am glad that the technology and equipment keeps getting better and we have the option available should we choose to upgrade. I don't see any reason for concern here, as this will not affect the current large base of Spektrum users, who can and will continue to fly with their equipment. (Sort of like when Intel releases its latest and greatest CPU)

This seems to be tailered more for the professional/high-end user, as the initial cost of entry will no doubt be quite high.
airbourne is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Not a huge concern for me as I have a couple DX5e's and a DX6i that I only use on a few "bind n fly" lekkies.
All my other planes will be converted to the Hitec 2.4 system when the need arises!

Cheers
Curt

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

I have read somewhere that there will be no change in North America for quite some time, that Horizon, who basically has a lock on North America has no plans at all to change the DSM 2 unless they are forced to, as mentioned in one of the blurbs above. Such is power of Monopoly.
Dan
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Well, fortunately just like the long discussion on whether or not FM/72mHz was dead or not earlier this season... just because something newer comes along, the "old" systems are NOT suddenly obsolete!

I just bought about six 7, 9 to 12 channel JR/SPektrum receivers this season (most are not even installed yet) and still fly most of my stuff with FM.

"We" have to just chill out - and remember that companies make money by introducing new things that people buy. If you dont absolutley NEED to have the latest and greatest (and for many, the older stuff works just great) there is no reason to go and purchase new transmitters and get all new receivers again.

Just remember that

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #6

Total Props: 57

The manufacturers are at the root of all this unrest. They watch RCCanada and when the controversy over who has the latest and greatest dies down they reach into their bag of goodies and throw another on the fire. Some of us haven’t recovered from finding out we were “dinosaurs’” because we were hanging on to the older stuff a little longer. Now it would appear we may be reclassified as fossils because we refuse to jump on the latest and greatest gadget.

WAIT A MINITE!!!!!!!!! Hey I just bought into the Hitec 2.4 and it has all this NEW stuff. I guess its just JR playing catch up again. Maybe one day they might even make their receivers competitive price wise as well since they don’t have to supply two to do the job.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:22 AM   #7
OICU812
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Shawn S.
Radio of choice:
Vcontrol

Total Props: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
Not a huge concern for me as I have a couple DX5e's and a DX6i that I only use on a few "bind n fly" lekkies.
All my other planes will be converted to the Hitec 2.4 system when the need arises!

Cheers
Curt
So you know "TRY" the A9 etc before buying, flame suit on I don't care but Hitecs A9 is IMO a slow ass radio period, felt like I stepped back to a 9C after flying Spektrum for last few years. No I have no sponsorship radio wise, in fact if Futaba would switch their damn small children sized switch spacing I'd be all over using their txs etc,,, but it seems they dont want to break their old mold ways there...
Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
Gooseman240
RCC Contributor

I am: Evan R
Radio of choice:
The one that came with the plane :S
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0

Ya what piano doude stated!!

Cause that is all I can afford....

Current:
Super Sportster 40 MKII
Nexstar Select - Rebuild (covering job, convert to tail dragger)

Wishlist:
P-47 Razorback
Harvard (AT-6)
(Undecided on a bipe, pitts? or hog? 60"-80" wingspan)
Gooseman240 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:19 AM   #9
OICU812
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Shawn S.
Radio of choice:
Vcontrol

Total Props: 36

I spoke with the people that are high up enough to know at Ircha and this is of ZERO concern in North America for a long, long time.....

With just under 1000 pilots, yes (1000) pilots flying on 2.4 at Ircha not ONE true proven incident, and every day (5) days over 100 pilots flying at once there were no issues period.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
ss40a
RCC Contributor

I am: Sheena M

Total Props: 0

A little balance Love the A9.
ss40a is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in