Wanting To Get Into Heli's! need help though. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
BizarroZero
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Justin B
Radio of choice:
dx2s
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 3
Elec Wanting To Get Into Heli's! need help though.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hello. i want to get this heli = http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ct=10811<br />

and get these electrics:

servo: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idproduct=662
gyro: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10113
batt: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6306
motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9257
esc: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6460
remote and receiver: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8991

now i need some help here. i know the motor that i listed from HK is good. everyone was loving it for this kit so im not really lookingto swap the motor if there is suggestions for it. but here are my questions:

how many servos will i need?
what is the best gearing?
any mandatory upgrades i will need right away?

and was going to buy extra blades: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11158

i want to get maybe pink blades or anything pink related for this heli. so if anyone finds any pink items for this kit plz let kno!!

i need suggestions as i am a total newb at this and i need all the help i can get. i know the main answer im going to get is to get a simulator :P i will be getting that too haha

Last edited by BizarroZero; 07-26-2011 at 08:53 PM.
BizarroZero is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
russ
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Re: Wanting To Get Into Heli's! need help though.

all of your links are broken.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
BizarroZero
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
dx2s

crap. sorry about that. hope they are fixed now. thanks for bringing that up!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

The heli link is still broken.

Also, the motor calls for a 40 amps esc and you only have a 25 amps one in your list.

Is this your first heli? not even a coaxial or msr?
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
BizarroZero
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
dx2s

darn! sorry about that its fixed now.

i didnt even notice that. so would you suggest a 50a esc then? or even a little higher? well i had a coax like a little cheap 20 bucks. it had a hard time staying in the air in one position. i trimmed it but it kept changing. i not a complete newb when it comes to rc i know my electrics but very newbish with heli's so if you talk to me about electrics ill know most of it
Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R

With the unknown quality of the esc (I've never used HK electronics), a higher rating is always better, plus it will stay cooler.

Unfortunately, there are no other RC experience that will really help with helis. Even most airplane pilots find helis very challenging.

For the servos, you'll need 3 cyclic and 1 tail servo. The tail servo should be as fast as you can afford. The faster it is the better your tail will hold.

Also, I would suggest wood blades until you stop crashing. It's a lot cheaper (and easier) to replace wood blades than your whole head. This is because wood breaks instead of transmitting the force to the rest of the heli.

When you get the heli, the head will come pre-assembled, I suggest you check every screw for tightness and for those that screw into metal for loctite.

Setting one of these ccpm helis can be tedious. Suggest you join helifreak and download the set up videos for the trex 450 se v2 and how to program a radio, any radio as the functions are typically the same, even if the menu system is not.

Last, the blades will be rotating at 3000 rpms at full speed, this equates to pretty close to 100 km/h at the tips making them very dangerous. Never fly this inside and always make sure that during the set up you have the motor disconnected from the esc.

Last edited by waylander; 07-26-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Just missed the Toronto RC Heli club funfly

http://www.rcheliclub.org/
Old 07-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
BizarroZero
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
dx2s

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
With the unknown quality of the esc (I've never used HK electronics), a higher rating is always better, plus it will stay cooler.

Unfortunately, there are no other RC experience that will really help with helis. Even most airplane pilots find helis very challenging.

For the servos, you'll need 3 cyclic and 1 tail servo. The tail servo should be as fast as you can afford. The faster it is the better your tail will hold.

Also, I would suggest wood blades until you stop crashing. It's a lot cheaper (and easier) to replace wood blades than your whole head. This is because wood breaks instead of transmitting the force to the rest of the heli.

When you get the heli, the head will come pre-assembled, I suggest you check every screw for tightness and for those that screw into metal for loctite.

Setting one of these ccpm helis can be tedious. Suggest you join helifreak and download the set up videos for the trex 450 se v2 and how to program a radio, any radio as the functions are typically the same, even if the menu system is not.

Last, the blades will be rotating at 3000 rpms at full speed, this equates to pretty close to 100 km/h at the tips making them very dangerous. Never fly this inside and always make sure that during the set up you have the motor disconnected from the esc.

WOW! thanks for the great info!! i really appreciate it. you just basically answered my questiosn and then some

i got a couple more questions. with wood blades wouldnt it be heavier? would it make that much of a difference or barely any? also those servos i mentioned before they are good but i should get a faster one for the tail right? what speed would you suggest and the torque?

thanks again for your helpful information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo View Post
Just missed the Toronto RC Heli club funfly

http://www.rcheliclub.org/
damn! would there be another one coming to toronto any time soon?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R

the hxt900 servos are ok from what I hear. I've never used them personally though. For the tail, look for something with the specs of the futaba 9257 (that is specifically designed for heli tail servos). Or if you can find one used that's even better.

As a note, I buy about half my helis used. Even when I buy new kits I typically try to find the electronics used if I can. I think there are only 3 or 4 cases where I bought the kit and all the electronics new.

Wood blades are heavier but honestly, at your stage, you're not going to notice. Once you get into 3D you can look at carbon fiber ones. Once you don't crash as often look for fiberglass ones. about 80% the performance of carbon fiber at half the price.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #10
BizarroZero
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
dx2s

damn those are pretty pricey. ill prob find it on HK. im just looking for the cheapest route for a 450 and when i get better at flying these things or have more knowledge ill get the higher grades. but damn pretty fast at 4.8v. are these servos always running at 4.8v or do they run at 6v? what is the typical BEC for heli's? the tail servo doesnt need to be metal geared or do they?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in