Quad Racing - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 02-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
Toolzy
RCC Noob

I am: Jeoff F
Radio of choice:
undecided
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Quad Racing

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So I want to get into FPV Quad Racing. It looks like a helluva lot of fun. I need some guidance in this area as I've never flown anything other than a fixed prop mini heli.

A friend of mine will be donating his Hubsan X4 so I can get some flight time and practice on a quad. I was just wondering, from other experienced quad fliers and other quad racers, what is the progression flow after the Hubsan X4? I saw a few sites that had built kits like the Storm and Emax Nighthawk kits. I understand that eventually I will need to build and tweak my own but since I've no experience in building these things yet, I figured a pre-built RTF would be a good next step...is this correct so far?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the guidance.
Toolzy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Philip Shaw
RCC Contributor

I am: Philip S
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 40

Total Props: 2
Re: Quad Racing

hobby king night hawk 250 pro check it out , super tough flys great with clean flight , 195 bucks us so its like 2000.oo with exchange lol you wont be disapointed
Philip Shaw is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
micadley
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: John C
Radio of choice:
JR XG14, Spektrum iX12
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 6

I picked up one of these. Pretty good for under $200.00 Canadian to your door.

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Race...-p-995366.html

MAAC# 84894 / IMAC# 7441
micadley is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

First- welcome to the world of multirotors. You are gonna love the FPV racing aspect of this hobby.

Your buddy's X4 is a great way to get started in quads and become familiar with the controls before moving up to something larger and faster.

There are so many choices in the 250 class FPV quad that it is hard to make a recommendation.

IMHO, the most important thing is the flight controller. Research the FC's and get one that you are comfortable with. Programming is the hardest part for a beginner. So get one that is easily programmed. Most FC software is becoming very user friendly. I am impressed. Even so, consider getting a good but cheap FC as your first- something in the 20$ range. It will work OK for you as a beginner, and once you have flown it for a bit, you will have a better idea of what you want for your second and "better" FC

One other important thing you should know about 250's- They are made to crash. Choose one that has a solid carbon frame or durable plastic.

And order lots of spare props. LOTS. I usually keep 10 pairs in my TX case (20 props total). Some days you never even break one. Other days I go through 5 pair in one afternoon ...LOL. Its all good fun.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Adam S

Total Props: 1

Invest in a lost model locator!!!! The 250's are still relatively small, you can lose sight of it in short grass and never find it.

http://www.banggood.com/5V-Active-Bu...p-1032123.html

I have one on the way eventually (they were backordered), I'm not entirely sure how loud it is but for $2 shipped I'll give it a go. This one plugs into the FC or RX. Some can plug directly to the balance plug on the LiPO. Good/bad, depending how you look at it. At least if you crash, you'll be able to find your LiPO!
Old 02-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
Toolzy
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
undecided

OK so from what I got so far, after getting the hang of my X4,

- get a prebuild like the ones mentioned above
- learn up on FC's...I take it this is more after if I decide to build my own
- replacement parts, emphasis on props
- drone locator

Thanks guys.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolzy View Post
OK so from what I got so far, after getting the hang of my X4,

- get a prebuild like the ones mentioned above
- learn up on FC's...I take it this is more after if I decide to build my own
- replacement parts, emphasis on props
- drone locator

Thanks guys.
Yes. That's a good start

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #8
Toolzy
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
undecided

So I got to finally fly my 1st quad. Definitely easier than the heli. Just a couple of things that bothered me:

1. Darn thing kept drifting. I calibrated and trimmed but it just keeps drifting to its rear right.

2. Batteries last less than 7 minutes. Are there better ones out there?

3. I'm not able to keep it at a stable altitude unlike my heli.

4. It's sensitive. A little nudge on the right stick to pitch or roll will have it quickly move to that direction. I wish there was a way to set the sensitivity on the thing.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Adam S

Total Props: 1

Are you using the Hubsan stock transmitter?
I'm not sure what the transmitting protocol is, but if you can somehow bind it to a good radio (computer with programming) you will probably find it a lot more fun to fly, and easier. I think most of your issues could be resolved with a decent transmitter.
As for battery life that sounds about normal for the size. If you get into bigger batteries, they get heavier, then performance suffers, etc. etc. I read an article somewhere about how expensive isn't always better, most of them are made in the same factory in China, just with different labels.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
Toolzy
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
undecided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird_ace View Post
Are you using the Hubsan stock transmitter?
I'm not sure what the transmitting protocol is, but if you can somehow bind it to a good radio (computer with programming) you will probably find it a lot more fun to fly, and easier. I think most of your issues could be resolved with a decent transmitter.
As for battery life that sounds about normal for the size. If you get into bigger batteries, they get heavier, then performance suffers, etc. etc. I read an article somewhere about how expensive isn't always better, most of them are made in the same factory in China, just with different labels.
Yeah. I'm using a stock tx. I wasn't about to grab a more expensive one until I know what I'm doing. I figured if I can learn with what I have which is user friendly enough, maybe it'll be easier for me once I move on to a bigger one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in