RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 01:38 PM   #21
ratherbflyin
RCC Contributor

I am: David M

Total Props: 5

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I like the idea of different members sharing resposibilities,
after all we all paid our membership. So ask for volunteers
and as was stated earlier if no one helps then cancel events.
The only thing wrong with that is it punishes guys who do their
share all the time. Problem is they won't let things die so
they throw their arms up to save events, and others know this
and wait, it's a game l guess. Maybe this year we'll fool them
ratherbflyin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:00 PM   #22
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Quote:
This is posted at the field several times a year. So members can see, and check for errors (which can happen). You can get credit for time volunteer doing anything for the club. This has bought our work force up to 85% of the membership.
Give it a try... or raise your dues... to pay people to do the work.
This is a good idea, Jabba.
Just tracking and posting volunteer hours may help embarrass a few more people to help.

Now all we need is a volunteer to track the hours. I'm sure one of the usual volunteers will put their hand up!

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:16 PM   #23
cplant

Andrew's type of contribution is just as important and in some circumstances even more so than volunteering time, because it is of a type that is usually even more difficult to solicit (unless you "fine" members who don't volunteer that is. ).

I volunteer a fair amount of my time and skills to my club as do many others. If you where to ask the 20% or so of members who do put in the effort, I bet most would tell you that the only reason they do it is because they enjoy it. I like helping out. I enjoy the feeling of involvement that I have, and the people I get to spend time with. Nothing makes my day more than when someone comes up to me at the field or at a meeting, gives me the proverbial pat on the back and says job well done.

I don't resent those who choose to just pay their dues and go fly either. Some people's circumstances do legitimately place restrictions on their time and/or finances such that they aren't able contribute. Fine with me. Some just haven't figured out the hidden rewards of being involved. Some of these people have contributed a great deal in the past and deserve some time off, and others will probably step up to the plate in the future. There's always hope.

I do have issues with the type that show up at the field once every few months and complain that the grass is 1/2 too long for their liking, or constantly whine about how decisions are being made but never come to a meeting, or repeatedly state their dissatisfaction with the current executive but come election time........

I guess we're lucky as we don't have too many of the last type around but from experience I've found that they never last long anyway. They can whine and complain and be demanding all they want but I guess eventually they realize everyone else is too busy enjoying themselves to be listening and they just disappear.

Just my .02

Cheers
cplant is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-16-2003, 02:44 PM   #24
Dzlstunter
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

Our club has to pay rent to the farmer for the field and supply our own mowing equipment and pay the expenses of same. By the time we set aside a nominal amount for mower replacement, there isn't much left from a $50 per annum per member dues revenue. We do simply publish a mowing list at the beginning of the season with the notation that if someone finds the date inconvenient, he is responsible for switching with someone else to get the job done that week. If the grass is not mowed, we all know who was (ir)resposible. Not a good position to be in! In a group as small as ours (25-30), a remark or two is usually plenty of motivation. (BTW, we do give long-distance members and the handicapped a pass on this duty.) So far (about 25 years) it works for us.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:21 PM   #25
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
ronm..........

As Jabba said, we post the volunteer hours monthly in our newsletter to date and people have AMPLE enough time to get their hours in before the last event, or it's 20 bucks more next year. It's no sneak attack. The CD of the event is responsible for recording the hours to the club from his volunteer list. As for our lawnmower, we hire a person, which accounts for 1/3 of the yearly dues approximately. That's for 88 members mind you. Smaller clubs may not have this accessibility.
It's all a FAIR process for everyone. Some of us that are on the executive or do much flying may put in more than the required hours and that is a bonus. At least I try to do it when time lets me.
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:18 PM   #26
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
I personally donate $$ to the club, simply because I cannot donate my time. We do have some very dedicated members that do most of the running around and organising, but they live nearby the club, or a few are retired and have more time to do the "business" side of the club.

I was just stating how I contribute to the club, it does make me feel guilty that I dont mow the grass, or work the field. I try and make it up otherwise.

In our club it seems to work, anyway, as they still let me join each year
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:01 PM   #27
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16
Great replies to an obvious hard question, thanks. We have a few key members that do everything. Three names come to mind outside of our executive. I want to show appreciation to them by donating a small amount of cash and hopefully others will follow. If I get a few other members involved we could just buy a gift certificate at our LHS for them. Idealy, as a recent addition to the executive I would like our club funds to match donated dollars.
These guys are not going to keep doing it forever and we need to have some incentive. Any thoughts on that!
I also have to comment on the fact that no one touched the executive side of things. Having just finished our elections; it would have been easier pulling teeth!
<G> wish I had the answers
could free membership work?
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:07 PM   #28
cplant

Quote:
I also have to comment on the fact that no one touched the executive side of things. Having just finished our elections; it would have been easier pulling teeth!
I think I did.

Quote:
or repeatedly state their dissatisfaction with the current executive but come election time........
As a member of this year's nominations committee, I hear you loud and clear.
cplant is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:06 AM   #29
rcav8tor

Quote:
I want to show appreciation to them by donating a small amount of cash and hopefully others will follow
Showing your appreciation to your work horses is something all clubs should do. Cash and gift certificates are nice, but I'll bet most of the workers you have would appreciate a plaque of some sort more.

Over the past number of years, I have donated both time (a lot of it) and money as well. I have also put on dinners for the membership and even found them a new tractor to add to the collection...... free !

As most volunteers, I do it because I want to...... not for reward. My reward is hearing every-one at the field comment on it's condition. I just love it when a new guy comes out and says...... WOW !

In the past, I have been presented with two plaques, that I am very proud of. Both are mounted right here at the computer desk. Money and gift certificates are just fine....... but gone in a heart beat.

This is a very good thread......... and one that needs talking about. There has also been some very good ideas put forth.
The one thing you must look out for is the burn out..... I never thought it could happen.... not to me anyway..... but surprise... it does.

Beware.....if you get nothing else out of this thread, get this.......
Don't work the Field Dogs into the ground....or you'll have no one.
rcav8tor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:24 AM   #30
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Quote:
In the past, I have been presented with two plaques, that I am very proud of. Both are mounted right here at the computer desk. Money and gift certificates are just fine....... but gone in a heart beat.

This is a very good thread......... and one that needs talking about. There has also been some very good ideas put forth.
The one thing you must look out for is the burn out..... I never thought it could happen.... not to me anyway..... but surprise... it does.
Two VERY well deserved plaques, for one of the hardest working guys in any club!

Burn-out has taken away our most valued member.
I wonder to myself if this would have happened if more people had stepped forward to share the load!

We already miss you Brian!

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in