Hangar 9 Hellcat 60 - Electric Conversion - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1
Re: Hangar 9 Hellcat 60 - Electric Conversion

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am giving it the once over lightly. The chap who put it together has done a good job mostly, but I don't like the method he used to mount the motor. It has a Turnigy SK 4260 - 500 KV motor. It has 4 long threaded rod stand offs and he has put a small piece of plywood on top of the stand offs that has a pile of automotive wheel weights tie wrapped on to get the nose weight required. The whole thing is prone to loosening in flight I think. I am going to get one of those Great Planes electric motor mounts which will be much better and then attach the required nose weight in a more secure manner. I might even move the receiver battery onto the firewall to use that weight where it will be most useful and reduce the lead required. I added some triangle stock under the horizontal stab. because of the stories of failures there. Everything else is good to go. I'll have my Sabre and my Hellcat ready and then can finish up my L-39 at my leisure. I can then start up my Eindecker that will be electric also. So many toys, so little time. It's FUN....
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6

Hi Bob:

I did use the Great Planes electric mount in my Hellcat. I did have to cut it down a bit because it was too long. Otherwise it is a nice solid mount.

Chris

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #23
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Yes , ditto on those GP electric motor mounts . I used a large one , straite bolt in on my 82 inch Cessna 182. Very robust and I like the way they used rounded bends on the corners rather than some of your cheap ones with sharp corners and subject to metal fatigue. More money but a superior product IMO.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #24
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Don't know if it is hot glue or not but if it is the same stuff used on my H9 Twin Otter it is water soluable . Turns milky white when exposed to water spray as I found out when my TO was on floats . Pulled firewalls foreward and lost the plane but after length discussions with Horizon got the busted parts replaced. They said it wasn't meant for float flying and my arguement was " why did it have foreward scale float mountings built in and a rep said "build your own floats and go fly ". Was a great flyer on floats too.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #25
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Yes , ditto on those GP electric motor mounts . I used a large one , straite bolt in on my 82 inch Cessna 182. Very robust and I like the way they used rounded bends on the corners rather than some of your cheap ones with sharp corners and subject to metal fatigue. More money but a superior product IMO.
Yes very robust mount. I didn't use a GP motor and couldn't bolt the motor I had directly to the mount. I made a work around. Will post a pic when I pull the cowl.

Quote:
Don't know if it is hot glue or not but if it is the same stuff used on my H9 Twin Otter it is water soluable . Turns milky white when exposed to water spray as I found out when my TO was on floats . Pulled firewalls foreward and lost the plane but after length discussions with Horizon got the busted parts replaced. They said it wasn't meant for float flying and my arguement was " why did it have foreward scale float mountings built in and a rep said "build your own floats and go fly ". Was a great flyer on floats too.
I have heard many reports of the firewall just pulling out. Didn't want to risk it and fixed the problem. Sorry to hear your plane went in.

Chris

Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I ended up just building a "motor box" to extend the motor out from the firewall. It is mounted securely now and the weight of the plywood box meant I could get rid of the lead. I looked at the Great Planes mounts, but, it seemed to me the middle sized one would be just a bit too long even when adjusted to its' shortest depth. I ordered up some Robart air retracts today. The mechanical ones sort of scare me. I have heard of too many stories of them binding up and the stalled retract servo draining the receiver pack and costing you an airplane. If I can get this Hellcat to perform as reliably as my Sabre jet I will have a stress free flying season. Come on Summer!!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #27
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

what is the all p weight ? if under 15 lbs could consider the eflite 60-120 electrics .I think they also make a rotating one also . Have had mine going on 2 years and still seems to work just great.
Robart is electrosizing ( if there is such a word ...if not, there is now) all their air systems . Not cheap but work flawless and I think the controller will handle retracting doors also but not 100% sure.

Last edited by stegl; 03-06-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #28
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Byrnes View Post
I have heard of too many stories of them binding up and the stalled retract servo draining the receiver pack and costing you an airplane.
Hi Bob:
That scared me to. I run two battery packs. One for the rx and one for the retracts. A little extra wiring but easy to do.

Chris

Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I considered using two battery packs also, but decided on the Robarts. This plane weighs just a smidge over 10 pounds ready to fly. I think the originals would have worked for a while , but, they are kind of loose and sloppy. The new ones will firm up the undercarriage and make me more content.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in