West System epoxy for fibreglassing skis - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scratch Builder Sam
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 14
Re: West System epoxy for fibreglassing skis

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpetman View Post
The last thing you would want is a mess of uncured epoxy on a wing panel
Been there done that and at one time, almost lost the whole project but Composites canada helped and saved Connie project back 2009.....so yes mixing equal amounts or recommended ratios are very important, I learned it hard way but would never forget it...
Engines: Electric, Gas and glow
Struts1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scratch Builder Sam
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18
# of RCs: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenjw View Post
Might work. Never tried. The west system pumps are designed to be left in the can as far as i know.

I would save your pump money and your alcohol money and invest in a good scale, if you don't already have one.

For me its far simpler to pour the two parts into Dixie cups on my scale.
For big batches i recycle my endless supply of Tim Hortons cups!

If you do it by weight, ideally you should use a gram scale. Unless you are do huge batches, a kitchen oz scale is a little dodgy!

Note, the proper weight ratios are not the same as the pump volume ratios. So have to read the cans/bottle, they will list both the volumetric and weight ratios for prop mixes.

PS West System does have a fantastic free eBook on epoxy and glass and techniques, etc. Definitely worth getting and reading even if you don't use it.
Thanks John for sharing your experiences with us, i will be getting west systems or System three laminating epoxies for my Concorde project in this week and will go to Composites Canada once again....
Engines: Electric, Gas and glow
Struts1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
grosbeak
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FGS
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenjw View Post
John,
I am looking at your pic. Looks like back end has a guide wire. Does front guide wire have a spring mechanism?
Hi John,

Yes, that's a wire guide on the back that restricts the skis to about 10º up from the horizontal. That's a good picture of both skis - this is a better picture of the tension line on the front.

As you can see, the tension line holds the skis at that 10º angle in flight so that the trailing edge of the skis touches first on landing. The slack wire is a back up in case the high-tech shock cord (read: hair elastic) fails in flight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12214804984_6cc4f57b46_z.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	234606  

Old 02-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
cravenjw
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John C
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosbeak View Post
Hi John,

Yes, that's a wire guide on the back that restricts the skis to about 10º up from the horizontal. That's a good picture of both skis - this is a better picture of the tension line on the front.

As you can see, the tension line holds the skis at that 10º angle in flight so that the trailing edge of the skis touches first on landing. The slack wire is a back up in case the high-tech shock cord (read: hair elastic) fails in flight.
Thx, mini bungee cord! I like it.
I was thinking of using silicone fuel tube like some on the guys on here were doing for their tail wheel steering springs. But it's not a elastic as bungee, and in the cold it even less elastic.
I am planning to have the cables/springs go to the holes in my cf gear that are already there for cuffs. My skiis are a little bigger 21"x 3". Ill need something a little bigger than hair elastics, but a trip CT should yield some bungee that I can use.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #15
grosbeak
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FGS

Thanks for all your input - I'm good to go.

I'll be back to the ski build shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12470716973_2240a35612_z.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	234646  
Old 02-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #16
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199

Those pumps stayed accurate for me with literally years between use, just sitting in the epoxy.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #17
Nick Milligan
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nick Milligan

I've never had an issue with the pumps either. I do lightly press each till I see a bit of liquid at the spout beforehand though. I'm not sure if it helps but it makes me feel good.
Nick Milligan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #18
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9

Hi John,

The skiis are looking great !

To make the West pumps last longer, plug the spigots with a dowel. Make sure you mark the plugs resin/hardener. It keeps the resin/hardener from thickening in the spigot, which can affect the ratios.

A suggestion for glassing the bottom of the skiis. Get some clear laminating mylar plastic 1in bigger than the ski, sign shops usually have scraps. It should be flexible as a sheet of paper to go around the front curve. Wax the plastic. Clamp the ski bottom up. Wet out the glass layup (I would use 2or3 layers of 1oz.cloth), then lay the plastic on top, starting from the back, using a (credit card) squeegy to prevent trapping air bubbles. You can see any bubbles through the plastic. They can be worked out to the edge with the squeegy. Let it cure, then peel off the plastic. Only sanding to do is around the edges...

Make sure of your temperature and ventilation before mixing the resin.

I lost count of the hundreds of gallons of epoxy I used boatbuilding.
I am now allergic to epoxy and polyester resins...

Good luck with your project.
Thanks for taking the time sharing it with us.

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #19
goneflyin
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Don M

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Milligan View Post
I've never had an issue with the pumps either. I do lightly press each till I see a bit of liquid at the spout beforehand though. I'm not sure if it helps but it makes me feel good.
Yes this is the key here.
I have old pumps, and they work just fine.
The epoxy is really fantastic stuff though, penetrates wood more than I've seen before.
Just did a fiberglass layup on my canopy hatch project, and it went nicely.
I've used the filler powder a number of times for places that you want a thick paste. Works great.
Without the filler, the epoxy is very runny.

Don
goneflyin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #20
grosbeak
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneflyin View Post
Yes this is the key here.
I have old pumps, and they work just fine.
The epoxy is really fantastic stuff though, penetrates wood more than I've seen before.
Just did a fiberglass layup on my canopy hatch project, and it went nicely.
I've used the filler powder a number of times for places that you want a thick paste. Works great.
Without the filler, the epoxy is very runny.

Don
The literature specifies that the pumps must be primed before use and potentially after a long idle period, so that's what I did and will continue to do.

My basement must be pretty cold because I found the epoxy pretty thick... so much so I'm thinking of thinning it with 99% IPA for the next application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Check View Post
Hi John,

The skiis are looking great !

To make the West pumps last longer, plug the spigots with a dowel. Make sure you mark the plugs resin/hardener. It keeps the resin/hardener from thickening in the spigot, which can affect the ratios.

A suggestion for glassing the bottom of the skiis. Get some clear laminating mylar plastic 1in bigger than the ski, sign shops usually have scraps. It should be flexible as a sheet of paper to go around the front curve. Wax the plastic. Clamp the ski bottom up. Wet out the glass layup (I would use 2or3 layers of 1oz.cloth), then lay the plastic on top, starting from the back, using a (credit card) squeegy to prevent trapping air bubbles. You can see any bubbles through the plastic. They can be worked out to the edge with the squeegy. Let it cure, then peel off the plastic. Only sanding to do is around the edges...

Make sure of your temperature and ventilation before mixing the resin.

I lost count of the hundreds of gallons of epoxy I used boatbuilding.
I am now allergic to epoxy and polyester resins...

Good luck with your project.
Thanks for taking the time sharing it with us.

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Thanks for the tips - I've already gotten started with 1/2 oz cloth - you can pick up the thread at post 89. Note the safety items - gloves, ventilation, respirator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in