31cc Ryobi won't start - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
jake_027
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
Spektrum ix14

Total Props: 5
31cc Ryobi won't start

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Guys,

I have a 31cc Ryobi that I purchased already converted. I bought it off of ebay from a company that buys reconditioned line trimmers, pulls the engines and converts them for RC.

Anyway, I have spark and it looks like I'm getting fuel but it won't start. I'm wondering if it is flooding because while I'm trying to start it I do get fuel coming from the muffler. I'm trying it with both adjusting screws 1.5 turns out.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these or if I'm missing something obvious. I was trying to start it with an electric starter but didn't have enough power to spin fast enough for spark, so I've been using my electric drill and have more than enough to get it spinning at sufficient RPM.

Thanks,

Dave
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #2
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Describe your starting drill exactly.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
jake_027
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum ix14

It's a standard Black & Decker that plugs into the wall. I removed the cone from a Sullivan starter, threaded a bolt through the cone and inserted it in the drill chuck the same way you would install a drill bit. I put the drill in reverse (for counter clockwise) and hit the button. I can get it to spin fast but no start!!

Old 03-04-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

What I need to know is exactly how you go about trying to start the engine ie choke position throttle position etc............
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
Old 03-04-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
If you are turning it with the electric starter with the engine choked, and fuel is coming out the muffler, it's definately flooding.
Pull the plug and dry it, and try spinning it with the starter with the choke off.
If you have to choke it, flip it by hand untill it fires. Choke off, and flip it by hand or spin it with the starter.

Use care and a glove if flipping by hand.

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #6
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9
Ryobi

I have one I converted with CH ignition. It won't start by hand unless you can really flip the sucker..not enough compression until it gets broken in. Heres what I do to start it.
Full choke until it pops, then half choke until it runs, and choke off once running for 20 seconds or so.

What prop are you using, mine runs best with a wood 18-6 (Zinger) reg (low octane ) fuel 40-1 mix, and a good non-restrictive muffler (Bisson) made mine and its great once you trim the stacks.

If yours is magneto, then good luck. The CH version is sooo much better and lighter too (even with the battery).
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:12 AM   #7
Rob Smith
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Robert P
Radio of choice:
Hitec eclipse
# of RCs: 10

Here is a link to a short video clip of my start-up yesterday. It's a Ryobi 31, magneto spark, gutted stock muffler with 5 holes drilled in bottom. My gallery has some photos. With throttle at 1/2, 32:1 mix, .018 spark gap, business card spacing btwn. flywheel and coil, a few pumps on primer bulb and choke full it will kick after a few revolutions. Then 1/2 choke for 30 seconds or less followed by no choke . Getting 7200 with a Master Air 18x6. Less than 1 hour run time so far.

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

Keep at it Dave. It will go.

Rob
Rob Smith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:20 AM   #8
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I have run Ryobi,s with and without the CH ignition mod and also special rings that up the CR ratio (they are precision and dont leak compression like the stock ring)
Hand starting is not reliable with most string trimmer conversions including the Ryobi and an electric starter is necessary,although when the planets align,the engine is warm ,and the mood is right sometimes a firm hand flip will start this little bugger.
Develop a starting drill that works for you and THEN DONT DEVIATE FROM IT
Here is mine: If the hole in the choke butterfly is >1/16" solder it shut and drill it to 1/16.
If you are sure you are getting spark do this:
From cold put the throttle at full and close the choke.Turn with the starter until it pops.Turn choke off and put throttle to high idle. Apply the starter and it should start.
If you are getting raw gas from the muffler you have flooded the little dear and you will have a neat stack fire if you keep it up.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:49 AM   #9
jessy

You might want to check the timing key, sometimes the flywheel is not sitting all the way and the key gets bent to the point of looking like the magnets are passing the armatures at top dead center, but the key is off set, i work as a small engine technician and marine mechanic, trust me sometimes that happens.
jessy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:02 PM   #10
jake_027
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum ix14

Thanks to all that offered help!!

Dave
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in