Great Planes Learjet 40 conversion into Learjet E55.. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scratch Builder Sam
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 14
Great Planes Learjet 40 conversion into Learjet E55..

Since there is no section on here where only glow to electric conversion projects could be threaded, figured this is good enough as GP Learjets are semi
scale models.

I have been thinking about this conversion for a very long time and was waiting for someone to tackle it, after searching the web n rcg site, since none is done, ill take a plunge and do it. Its doesn't seems any different then how other models are done, only thing is the space within cowl could be intimidating to people but it's not that bad. Last night I took out fuel tank, tubing and refueling valve from the fuel tank compartment as now it will become battery compartment.

I'll be using:
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 4250 350Kv motor as I have 2 spare ones.
Turnigy Nanotech 6s 4500mah lipo or Turnigy Blue 6s 5000mah lipo.
Turnigy Trust black 70A Esc with ubec or Turnigy Redbrick 70A Esc.
Prop will be 12x8 APC 2 blade.

Rest of the electronics will remain the same as they are already installed in the plane, I will take throttle servo out as it's not needed now.
Engines: Electric, Gas and glow
Struts1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Leadfoot
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Steve B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ, JR 9303

Total Props: 1
Re: Great Planes Learjet 40 conversion into Learjet E55..

Prop clearance with that motor could be an issue, as people seem to be running anything from a 14-16" prop on 6s. Balance might also be an issue with the 6s 5000, depending on where you were planning to put it and an access point for the battery.

Nothing intimidating at all about doing a conversion like this. It's more a matter of whether a conversion like this is worth doing. That motor will give you plenty of power to fly the plane, but not likely the speed you could be looking for. It's also a heavy airframe construction in comparison to modern electric designs, so that's going to hurt the overall performance.

Ultimately it's a matter of why are you doing the conversion. If it's simply to have an electric Learjet propjet, then yes it will work. Otherwise I'd look to something else.

Besides, don't you have enough projects on the go already?

I'd like to offer you moral support, but I have questionable morals!
Leadfoot is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
Prop clearance with that motor could be an issue, as people seem to be running anything from a 14-16" prop on 6s. Balance might also be an issue with the 6s 5000, depending on where you were planning to put it and an access point for the battery.
9 x 9 maybe? the acceleration and efficiency will be poor

Quote:
Besides, don't you have enough projects on the go already?
not at all

iirc Samm said that the airframes were pretty heavy and the wing loading high, not an ideal first attempt
Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18

After taking out all the glow components from fuel tank compartment, a Nanotech 4500 battery was placed in it, I thought that battery would be slightly longer in length then the compartment but it fitted in just right!, so this is a plus.... Second took the cowl off and placed it on the table vertically flat. Then I placed the new motor inside the cowl to see how much gap is the where motor will be mounted and Collet will stick out just enough from the cowl ring for prop plate to mount with much gap or touching the cowl ring. For this I cut a small 2x2x2 white foam block and placed the motor on it inside the cowl. At this point Collet was close to 1/2" out where prop shaft is, that's too much, so cut off that extra section from the foam block n now Collet is where it should be. Gap between cowl ring and spinner plate is 1/16". This is acceptable clearance n gap between the the two parts.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18

Hey leadfoot, what's your beef against me or my projects, you are not the one doing them, nothing is going out of your pocket on any of my projects so what is your problem man!!, I do these coz I want to and share them on here with others, you don't know what I know or not or how much so why keep posting bashing type of posts on my threads. If you ever have anything positive or constructive then by all means make ur post n spend ur tome n energy otherwise refrain making posts on my threads please!. We ever so seldomly see a thread from your builds or whatever yet you are first one to bash on my threads. I do what I'm capable of building, my projects are very unique and different and usually are mega undertaking so they take time n lots of it, I invest my finances, my time and skills into them to share with many others on here who love to see and learn from my work, yet people like yourself are the one who comes on just to bash instead of seeing what I'm doing.....

Yes I know all about these learjets, I have 3 and 4th one is soon to come in, yes I want to experiment doing this electric conversion on it, yes its. Heavy airframe but what is your beef man!....chill out relax and refrain posting if you don't like it or don't have a need too.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
jake_027
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
Spektrum ix14

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struts1 View Post
Hey leadfoot, what's your beef against me or my projects, you are not the one doing them, nothing is going out of your pocket on any of my projects so what is your problem man!!, I do these coz I want to and share them on here with others, you don't know what I know or not or how much so why keep posting bashing type of posts on my threads. If you ever have anything positive or constructive then by all means make ur post n spend ur tome n energy otherwise refrain making posts on my threads please!. We ever so seldomly see a thread from your builds or whatever yet you are first one to bash on my threads. I do what I'm capable of building, my projects are very unique and different and usually are mega undertaking so they take time n lots of it, I invest my finances, my time and skills into them to share with many others on here who love to see and learn from my work, yet people like yourself are the one who comes on just to bash instead of seeing what I'm doing.....

Yes I know all about these learjets, I have 3 and 4th one is soon to come in, yes I want to experiment doing this electric conversion on it, yes its. Heavy airframe but what is your beef man!....chill out relax and refrain posting if you don't like it or don't have a need too.
Hey Sammy....Steve was just mentioning some obstacles that you may encounter or things that you should consider ahead of time. Why blast him like this??
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Leadfoot
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Steve B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ, JR 9303

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struts1 View Post

Ah Sammy, I was being constructive, by simply sharing some of the research that I have done while looking into converting a GP Patriot into an electric and asking some relevant questions. Similar airframe and similar power required to adequately fly it.

As for the lack of my own build threads, I simply don't feel that my building is at a level where I should be instructing others on how to do it. I still have a LOT to learn before I'm about to go about "teaching" others on how to do things. Plus, I build for my own satisfaction, not to receive praise from others for what I am doing.

And if I really wanted to bash you Sammy, it would not be a tough thing to do. But in reality, on this thread and your Concorde thread, I've simply asked relevant questions about each of those projects. If you're not prepared to have these questions asked, then why post in a public forum.

Besides, if I was bashing you, I'm sure one of the administrators would have notified me, or removed my posts.

Steve

P.S. Hey Dave, hope you're doing well!

I'd like to offer you moral support, but I have questionable morals!
Leadfoot is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18

This not the first time he did this to me, look at my Concorde thread, he did same or more there to me, personally I don't have any issues or beef against him, I never did any dealings either with him but he always posts negative on my threads be is it lightly or hard n I'm really getting tired of this guy's senseless posts 95% of the time. Like I said, if he has good to post or something constructive, sure by all means as many others do but if doesn't then, why waste his time on my threads... I can't understand this fellow.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18

Well you know what u did N u know it well and if you had asked your questions as other do with a right tone and attitude, then probably I would have answered you back. When I sense your tone n attitudes was out of context I stopped answering you. As for threads and learning goes we all learn from one another, I might pick something from ur builds if you post them in here n you may pick something from my methods. None of us are perfect in this world. I don't call myself teacher but I like when I see someone liked my method and adapted it for his purpose, people have pmed me asking questions and I answer them from my experience and best of knowledge but I don't put people down in there threads even if I find something not right about them or there builds.

Be nice and constructive and we won't have any problems....
Old 12-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18

I did preliminary cg test on this model with new battery, esc, motor, prop and spinner with mounting them on but with battery in the compartment, so my surprise, it's bit nose heavy as I intended it to be when it's all done. So CG is not the issue at this time but with this motor I may not get super fast speeds but being a heavy airframe, it will fly with this motor due high torque it will produce. I will switch props with different pitch's to see what gives me most speed with this set up.once it's flown few times and if I need to change the battery n motor, I will do so. I feel this is right setup for this airplane to test it out at this time.

Last edited by Struts1; 12-02-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in