Spektrum DX5e - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
fergiesatim
RCC Apprentice

I am: Austin B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7s
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Spektrum DX5e

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have just bound the above transmitter to my Radian Pro glider. My question is: Can I still use it with my Phoenix V3 flight simulator software on my computer. Or will the configuration change with each individual usage. New to the hobby, will appreciate all replies.
fergiesatim is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
philipa_240sx
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15
Re: Spektrum DX5e

The sim uses the trainer port of the DX5e which is not affected by binding the TX to other planes.

The only issue you might have is settings for the servo reversing switches. If you changed any of them, you will have to revert to 'normal' position to use the sim.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
fergiesatim
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7s

Thank you for the reply. I did have to change some of the servo settings. So if I revert those ones back to normal to use the sim, when I reverse them again to use the plane will they operate properly or will I have to dial them in again.
Thanks for your help.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
philipa_240sx

fergiesatim,

Yes, you will have to adjust any servo reversing and trims each time you switch between the SIM and the plane.

This is one of the advantages of a programmable TX like the DX6i, DX7, DX8, etc. You can set up a model memory for the SIM and switch back and forth easily.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
fergiesatim
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7s

Thanks once again Philip. Looks like I'll be adding to my shopping list. Any particular TX you would recommend ?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
philipa_240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergiesatim View Post
Thanks once again Philip. Looks like I'll be adding to my shopping list. Any particular TX you would recommend ?
If it were me, a DX7S is what I would buy.

The DX6i is popular and cheaper of course, however it's the oldest member of Spektrum programmable TX family. It also lacks the SD card capability of the DX7S and DX8 and does NOT support telemetry. The SD card is used for model backups, software upgrades, etc. You can also upload preset (and proven) model settings from the Spektrum Community website for a variety of planes. This can take some of the guesswork out of model setup, especially complex Heli and sailplane programs.

For the extra $90 a DX7S ($249.99) costs over the DX6i ($159.99), I think it's worth it. The DX7S packs a lot of features and will support your growing skills. It may be the only radio you will ever need.

BTW, I own a DX8. It's an amazing TX, but it's $349.99 vs. $249.99 for the DX7S (TX only)... the price may be a bit steep for some.

Last edited by philipa_240sx; 04-13-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Midnight Heli
RCC Contributor

I am: Andre S.
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2
Quebec Re: Spektrum DX5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
The sim uses the trainer port of the DX5e which is not affected by binding the TX to other planes.

The only issue you might have is settings for the servo reversing switches. If you changed any of them, you will have to revert to 'normal' position to use the sim.
You can leave the switches on the DX5e the same for the sim and plane. You only need to revers the servo setting inside the phoenix program so you do not have to change the switches back and forth when using the sim and the plane. If you do that, with time you will put some wear and tear on the switches and will need to have them changed.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
fergiesatim
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7s

Thank you for that information.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Daedalus66
RCC Noob

I am: Nigel C
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergiesatim View Post
I have just bound the above transmitter to my Radian Pro glider. My question is: Can I still use it with my Phoenix V3 flight simulator software on my computer. Or will the configuration change with each individual usage. New to the hobby, will appreciate all replies.
The binding process is actually the reverse of that. The receiver binds to the transmitter. That's why there is no limit to the number of receivers you can bind to the one transmitter (strictly speaking there are some limits, but you won't encounter them with the DX5e).

Binding means that the receiver memorizes the unique ID number of the transmitter and responds only to that transmitter. This is the process at the heart of 2.4 technology.

Where you have a transmitter with multiple model memories (such as the DX6i or DX7s) the ID number also identifies the memory slot. This is called Model Match and prevents you from linking the aircraft with the wrong model memory.

You've got a good answer about using the sim with the DX5e: set up the transmitter to control the model, then adjust the sim to use the same settings. With a more sophisticated transmitter, you would, of course set up a memory slot called "Phoenix" or similar and use that with the sim.

Hope this helps.

By the way, with the Radian Pro you'll soon be wanting a transmitter that can take proper advantage of its four servo wing.
Daedalus66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
fergiesatim
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7s

Thank you for the information. Will be setting up the sim as per info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in