your "Pro's or Con's" regarding MAAC - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Tracar
RCC Apprentice

I am: Travis
Radio of choice:
ER9X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 9
your "Pro's or Con's" regarding MAAC

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
with all the interest between non member and members it will be interesting to hear your personal love / hate with dealing with MAAC and claims!
Tracar is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
John M.
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 91
Re: your "Pro's or Con's" reguarding MAAC

Having been in the position of the thumb of big government coming down on me I realize the value of having some kind of lobby group or association in place when you need it.

So much easier and likely to succeed if the group is there, on standby, rather than having to organize THEN fight back.

It's like insurance for (some) peace of mind.
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7

What I value the most in MAAC is it's role in representing our hobby in dealings with government. The contributions of the MAAC volunteers in ensuring that our hobby is not regulated out of existence cannot be overstated.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinic View Post
The contributions of the MAAC volunteers in ensuring that our hobby is not regulated out of existence cannot be overstated.
I feel that MAAC is in danger of regulating our hobby out of existance all by themselves!

Yes MAAC has done some wonderful work in the past of which I have benefited from.

Yes there is a need for an organization to represent us.

MAAC is representing fewer & fewer hobyists every year. There is a reason for this & MAAC needs to stop the internal (infernal?) bickering & get back to finding out what we really need!

Yes we can help by particapation but on the other hand, when was the last time a MAAC rep showed up at your cub or phoned your president to ask how it was going? It's been well over 10 years for us!

So get it right or lets start a fresh organization with fresh people & fresh ideas!

An organization can only rest on it's laurels so long before they get a bit crunchy & stale!

P.S. no claims in 18+ years! Your club?

Last edited by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK; 12-17-2012 at 08:54 PM.
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7

In this regard, my cup is half full. I fly FPV, which is currently a hot topic im the regulatory circles.

As long as we're starting fresh, consider that most RC flying these says doesn't primarily happen at a club field or in groups or by MAAC members. Also then consider that insurance is best not counted on at all and fly accordingly.

MAAC has relevance as a safety body, ensuring a context for safety that works within the regulatory environment. Everything else is just fluff, in my opinion.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
cf100
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Ken K.
Radio of choice:
JR & Graupner
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 251

When MAAC charges $80.00 for $14.00 of insurance, they lose all credibility. Ok, throw in $20.00 per member for admin, total should be $34.00. Too many pet projects and special interests, too much MAAC bureaucracy that bloat the membership fee resulting in decling memberhip.
cf100 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
mnewhook
RCC Apprentice

I am: Matthew N

Total Props: 4

Where does the $14 figure come from?
mnewhook is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Wizzard
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne S.

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf100 View Post
When MAAC charges $80.00 for $14.00 of insurance, they lose all credibility. Ok, throw in $20.00 per member for admin, total should be $34.00. Too many pet projects and special interests, too much MAAC bureaucracy that bloat the membership fee resulting in decling memberhip.

You have some way of backing this up with documentation showing this ?
Wizzard is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
philipa_240sx
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

From a non-MAAC member perspective...

I am grateful for what MAAC and it's member clubs have accomplished over the years. As a governing body, they still have an important role. I hope they will continue to adjust to the changes in this hobby and thrive.

However for myself and perhaps other park flyers our there, a MAAC membership offers little in terms of value. The concept of flying on your own time at a field or park is at odds with the organization. Being an electric only flyer, I felt like a bit of an outcast when I visited a few local clubs... there was little incentive to join. Hence I still fly on my own.

I recently joined a small local indoor flying group. No club, no politics, no MAAC. Just a bunch of people both young an old enjoying flying at it's simplest. They made me feel welcome and I thoroughly enjoy it. I will gladly continue flying with them!

These are just my opinions though... and I am sure some may disagree. I respect that.

Last edited by philipa_240sx; 12-18-2012 at 09:00 AM.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 47

If you are living in the middle of no where and like to fly all alone – you do not need any organization to ‘Mess up Your Fun!’

Most of us do not fit into this situation, we cluster together in groups where inevitably there WILL be conflicts and therefore RULES will have to be made to ‘Keep the Peace’, someone has to make the rules… a committee is formed, discussions, compromises and… look out we have a MAAC like organization!

To make sure that the local TV Station/ Cab Company/Oil Rig’s Radios don’t shoot down your prized Airplane, requires coordination between Industry and the Government – I’m SURE that these folks will listen to YOU and your concerns. So you DO NOT NEED a MAAC like organization!

Insurance?
We all have Home Owner’s insurance - that is good enough (ONCE - if you can afford it) – We COULD get together and get a group rate (much cheaper) … but there are rules so that we can all enjoy the benefits … halleluiah we have MAAC again.

Face it – organizations annoy the Cr@p out of people because they do not always give the INDIVIDUAL EVERYTHING that they want. (Darned RULES Keep messing up MY FUN!) That’s what happens when you are trying to keep 10-15,000 people happy; that are spread from coast to coast… sounds easy to me…

Organizations exist to give the greatest amount of benefit to the greatest number of people – read compromise, get used to it.

So on to the folks that HATE Organizations… no problems.

-Go out and find your own field in the middle of no where, enjoy yourself – but if you have any problems you are on your own.
-If you crash into a house, car, person – I hope your insurance covers you and you do not loose your home.
-Please do not come to a MAAC Sponsored event (anywhere in the country) and expect to fly – you will not be allowed to fly with us, because it would invalidate OUR insurance and put our loved ones at risk.

Yes indeed – you individuals are free to go out there in the middle of no where and have fun ALL BY YOURSELVES. ENJOY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in