Foam forming?? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #11

Total Props: 57
Re: Foam forming??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
Your wrong Sammy fumes from any foam is toxic and should be done only with good ventilation. Perhaps if you had taken precautions..........????????
Ohh well we got the job done and cutting white foam wasn't bad at all, that's all i said...sure they do give out gases but it wasn't bad at all as it can be done inside ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutting fuselage at Mikes 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	35459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutting fuselage at Mikes 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	35460  

Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #12
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Currell View Post
Thanks propworn. I was just about to post the EPA statement on the hazards of styrene plastics such as styrofoam. I wish I hadn't read it.
Yum, isocyanates and benzine rings...

Did you get a bad case of acne after watching Mike cut the foam?

Personally I like to use an organic solvent mask when in doubt.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo View Post

Did you get a bad case of acne after watching Mike cut the foam?

If i did get any health problems do you think i would have said it's ok to cut it inside, i highly don't think so, Btw we both cut those parts not just Mike!

See ya soon..

Old 07-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchbuilder View Post
If i did get any health problems do you think i would have said it's ok to cut it inside, i highly don't think so, Btw we both cut those parts not just Mike!

See ya soon..
Sammy others could have a reaction to the fumes where you were lucky (NOT SMART) and did not. If you wish to take unnecessary chances with your health that’s ok but to recommend others do the same is just plain irresponsible.

I work in a foundry where white Styrofoam was used as patterns for aluminum parts. The aluminum was pored in melting and displacing the foam in the sand. Even with the scrubbers in place there was enough smell and health risk from the fumes both inside the foundry and to the surrounding neighbors that the process was abandoned.

Like many other substances sensitivity can be cumulative so do not be a SAMMY use good ventilation when working with your foam cutter.
Dennis
Old 07-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #15

Sammy, Dennis -- before the two of you get into a flame/whizzing war, how about cooling it?

We've got a lot of personal-observation and technical references that can be thrown around like croutons in a caeser salad festival.

However, STYRENE is the basis of polystyrene and this is a chemical that can play merry heck with our bodies and nervous systems, and needs to be treated with respect as well as ensuring that the possbility of exposure (this is a cumulative effect, like epoxy allergies -- you can go for years with no reaction and the suddenly WHAM! even the smell will trigger major allergic reactions.)

One of the big problems is that even VIRGIN polystyrene can have contaminants that can be vaporized by hot wire cutting. Non-virgin (recycled) poly even more so.

Doing foam cutting in a well-ventilated location with airflow (doesn't have to be a hurricane) is a safe move, as is the use of a good mask that's designed for vapours as well as dust.

Doesn't mean that we need to have spacesuits (or isolation suits) in order to work with the stuff, but need to be careful. This means using just enough heat to cut through the material at a slow fixed rate, as opposed to cranking up the rheostat and cutting at feet per second.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrocat View Post
We've got a lot of personal-observation and technical references that can be thrown around like croutons in a caeser salad festival.

This means using just enough heat to cut through the material at a slow fixed rate, as opposed to cranking up the rheostat and cutting at feet per second.
CROUTONS???? We're talking stryo here so you must mean peanuts eh???

And now I find out I can't get that stainless wire red any more DARN!!!!
Old 07-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #17
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 47
Thumbs up Re: Foam forming??

Well said Byrocat!

Safety and Responsibility are key.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #18

Quote:
CROUTONS???? We're talking stryo here so you must mean peanuts eh???

And now I find out I can't get that stainless wire red any more DARN!!!!
I'd rather eat croutons than polystrene peanuts any day.

Of course, neither are on my diet -- especialy if you remember the Get Smart episode where Kaos kills off the world's potato crop and Control comes up with the great idea of replacing it with sytrofoam (reference to mashed potatoes in the scene....)

All joking aside, we deal with a lot of volatile chemicals in this hobby (cyanoacrylates, epoxies and resins, nitromethanol, glass and carbon fibre.... you name it).

I'm definitely NOT (that's with big letters as well as emphasis saying that we need to be totally paranoid, but neither should we treat this stuff like it was Lepage's white craft glue (the stuff you used to eat in grade school).

Respect what this stuff can do to you is what I'm saying.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #19
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Sammy others could have a reaction to the fumes where you were lucky (NOT SMART) and did not. If you wish to take unnecessary chances with your health that’s ok but to recommend others do the same is just plain irresponsible.
Even worse is what is in the foam when it isn't heated, Benzene was often used as a blowing agent. Benzine can carry organic chlorine. Organic chlorine can kill you oh so many ways. The first symptom is chloracne. The second symptom is cancer, usually hepatic. The third symptom is death; quick, painful.

An organic solvents mask is about $30.

Enjoy.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #20
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0

For us guy's that have been in the hobby for a long time have quite a few problems with glues, paints, balsa dust and other stuff like foam cutting. Just ask some old fart like me if they cause any problems. You break out in a rash or have breathing problems when using them. Ca and epoxy are my worst ones and foam cutting just made me feel sick. Back in the days nobody told us that this stuff was harmfull to ourselves. Now when working with any of these products I do not use a mask very often but I do have my shop door open to the outside and the inside door is open. I use a 36" fan in the outside door for ventilation to suck the fumes out. My wife also lets me know if she gets a whiff and for the last few years there has not been any problems.
Like the kids say PLAY SAFE and the other part is I don't think we need to shorten our life span as I can think of lots of ways to do that outside of the hobby.
John
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in