26% Skybolt - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #21
supercub Man
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: James P
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I cut all the wood myself. I have used a Kit Cutter, but only once and I wasn't happy with the results as I had to re-cut many of the pieces again. In my case they cut per the plans and any errors in the plans were my problem. There are plans where the cutter has actually built the airframe and adjusted the laser cutting to correct errors. I don't know how to find these but the $500 plus dollars I paid was no bargain. When I first built the Skybolt, kit cutters weren't very well known and the thought of using them never occurred to me. I am retired so I have the time to cut my own pieces. Also if the plans are a little out, I can adjust immediately and re-cut the part to fit. I find it much easier to cut the parts as I proceed rather than all at once. This allows me to adjust as I build and not make the cutting experience a tiresome thing. I am currently working on a 1/6 scale model of the DeHaviland Dragon Rapide which I had Laser Cut. The rib outlines, drawn separately on the plans, for cutting, were out according to the building plan for the wing. The result was I had over 100 ribs cut wrong - which was not necessarily the Kit Cuttters responsibility - but which would have been recognized immediately if I had cut them. Thus I had to build the wing using these parts and had to make some major adjustments for final assembly.
So suit yourself. A small band saw and a scroll saw is the way to go and how to cut wing ribs is well documented on the net if you do a search. I worked for a printer many years ago and when I first built the Skybolt and I had a "knife die" of the wing ribs outline made for me by a box cutter. I still use this for repairs by laying it on the balsa sheet and gently tapping it to leave an outline which I then finish cut by hand. A gentle sanding as a group completes the job.
No I'm not getting tired of the Skybolt! I have a number of aircraft which I fly from time to time. I tend to spend more time on the one that's giving me trouble as this is the more interesting one and the Skyboly fell into that catagory for a while. I have a 1/4 scale Super Cub with gas but all the others are nitro and I prefer gas. Thus I won't be giving up on the Skybolt but taking both to the field and flying the Super Cub mainly at float flys. The Waco will be my third big gasser. I can fly 7 days a week if I wish so I tend to mix and match a lot. It is true that the more you fly one model the better you get with it. As a result I must spend a few flights, when I switch aircraft, remembering how to fly them! It makes it interesting. I've rambled enough - now back to building!!

By the way, the Brisighella plans build quite heavily. He uses a lot of 1/4 ply. See if you can cut back on some of the weight by switching to "lite ply" where possible and by laminating balsa for strength and cutting back on all the spruce. Use basswood instead of spruce. If you are not experienced in this, consult with a club member who can advise you. You should be able to build it under 20lbs with a little care.
MAAC #5343
Waco Brotherhood #56
supercub Man is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:11 AM   #22
cmcardarelli

Total Props: 0
Thank you for your answer! But regarding the Skybolt plans from Dario, does it have outlines or something wrong that need to be corrected? I'll defenitelly start to build a new one (light and perfect!).

The one I have finishing right now was built by a builder that I paid but the service was not good... he changed some things on the wings and the fuse is too heavy I think.

The problem is that my plans are scratched and the lines are so smoth that some part cannot be viewed, so I'll need a new set of the plans, liking the original draw not a copy from the copy. But I don't know where to get it. I'll try to contact the son of Mr. Dario Brisighella that was the person who sold me the plans I have. Do you have a better idea?
Thank you again! Good weekend!!
cmcardarelli is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #23
supercub Man
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: James P
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
No, the plans do not have any errors that I can find, although I would be careul when setting up the incidence for the top wing to have it the same as the bottom wing. My plans are much too cut up to copy. I suggest you do a search on the net to find someone who has a set. Just keep it light!

Jim
MAAC #5343
Waco Brotherhood #56
supercub Man is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #24
Skybolt
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike B.

You can contact Dario Brighsella son's. He is still handling the sales of his father plans.

I powered mine with an Saito 300 with 22x10 prop.
Covering is Sig Coverite with Sig dope

Still working on final tuning for test flight but when it put the nose up I get almost a 1 to 1 power to weight ratio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skybolt1_175.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	20926  
Skybolt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #25
Skybolt
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike B.

You can contact Dario Brighsella son's. He is still handling the sales of his father plans.

I powered mine with an Saito 300 with 22x10 prop.
Covering is Sig Coverite with Sig dope

Still working on final tuning for test flight but when it put the nose up I get almost a 1 to 1 power to weight ratio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skybolt1_175.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	20927  
Skybolt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #26
Pull Up Now!
RCC Noob

I am: Rick F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 15

Re: 26% Skybolt

Does anyone have any close-up photos taken of their Brisighella Skybolts without covering yet applied? I have some questions about how these parts go together.
Thanks!
Pull Up Now! is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #27
TexasSkyPilot
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jim S.
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 8

Rick,

Have you started building your yet? I'm curious about the build.

Jim

It is ALWAYS harder to do the right thing. And it is ALWAYS worth it, no matter what. - J.M. Surra - Angels and Their Hourglasses - www.jmsurra.com
TexasSkyPilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #28
Pull Up Now!
RCC Noob

I am: Rick F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSkyPilot View Post
Rick,

Have you started building your yet? I'm curious about the build.

Jim
Ooooooh yes, I've started building it all right. And REBUILDING IT! I finished the scratch built effort late last summer. It took off fiine, was flying around a while, and then the elevator became progressively less effective. I crashed into the forest. It took 3 guys 1.5 hrs to find it. It was a mess!!!!!! We gathered all the parts and I stared at it in the garage for 2 wks trying to figure out what happened. For the final failure analysis and pics of the plane, see this RC Universe thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10832283

Bottom line, the plane is flying really well now and I love it! I have some construction photos if anyone is really interested.
Pull Up Now! is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #29
TexasSkyPilot
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Wow, quite the mess. Losing a hinge pin - as you've already found out - is due to not bending the end of the pin at a 90-degree angle.

Those DuBro horns are great, but every bit of hardware has to compliment every other bit. The clevises used with those should be the DuBro safety-lock Kwik-Links. They keep the horn flange from swiveling. Ball links don't work on those.

You don't need hardwood end-grain, and I would absolutely not use end-grain. Too much stress and too little strength, and that's a real poor exchange for not crushing!!! It'll split right next to the horn. Don't do it. Simply soak thin CA into the wood grain and let it harden. You won't see that crush easily, and the strength will triple.

And yes, of course we're interested in the construction photos! Sorry about those flamers I saw on the other thread, there are many of us who are behind you all the way. Especially when the plane is coming down out of control. Okay, bad joke.

Jim

It is ALWAYS harder to do the right thing. And it is ALWAYS worth it, no matter what. - J.M. Surra - Angels and Their Hourglasses - www.jmsurra.com

Last edited by TexasSkyPilot; 02-16-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #30
TexasSkyPilot
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Wow - I just saw something impressive. You have built that Brighsella 1/4-scale at just over 19 pounds? I saw the 19.5 pounds after the rebuild, and even that's light. Every place I've read about this, they were making references to 25 pounds.
So, My question is this - Did you do anything special while building in order to keep the weight down? I'd love to see photos of any of those innovations if you have any.

Looking good.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in