Vailly Hurricane. How much nose weight? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 12:48 PM   #1
BJH424
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brian H
Radio of choice:
DX9, Jeti
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 12
Vailly Hurricane. How much nose weight?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have just completed my Vailly Hurricane. The wings are glassed and the fuselage, tail is supercoverite, US 41 for power and the model is painted in CWH colours with perfect paint. It weighs 22 lbs unbalanced. I have roughly got it balanced with an addional 3.5 Ilbs just aft of the firewall. Is this about the norm?. Need some feedback from you Hurry pilots.
Thanking you in advance.
Brian H.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:55 PM   #2
Pete Sturgess

Total Props: 0
Hurricane

Hi Brian I needed close to 2 lbs in mine, but located it right on top of the motor on an metal plate I fabricated, you said yours is aft of the firewall? you likely can move it a lot further forward and loose a whole bunch of weight,your total weight sounds good mine was heavier and flew real good till the dummy on the transmitter started to play with the flaps OOPS Good luck Pete.
Pete Sturgess is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Brian,

Where does Roy say the C of G is to be? If you are in the forward part of his range, that should be good for first flights.

Like Pete said... get weight as far forward as you can thye you might be able to remove some.

Have you got your batteries as far forward as they can go? Maybe do like the IMAC guys do and move your tank over the C of G then changing fuel weight won't affect it as much.

How about some pics?
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-10-2004, 07:12 AM   #4
BJH424
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX9, Jeti

Vailly Hurricane

Jim: The C of G is 5 to 51/2 " aft of the leading edge at the fusealage. I am at the forward limit. The batteries are as far forward as I can get them. The fuel tank is located forward of the Cof G ( unable to adjust it)so the fuel will be of help. I also like Petes idea and can easily mount weight over the engine.
I'm putting the small details into the cockpit and then I should get it outside for some pics. Stay tuned. Thanks
Brian.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:35 PM   #5
BJH424
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX9, Jeti

Vailly Hurricane Final Wt.

I finnally balanced the Hurricane using 25% MAC which placed the CofG 5 inches aft of the leading edge. It took 2 Lbs of lead mounted right over the engine. Total weight of model is 26 Lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hurry1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	2177  
Old 04-17-2004, 11:29 PM   #6
Marty C
RCC Expert Contributor

Vailly Hurri

My Vailly Hurri weighs 28lb, and has near on 3lb of lead car wheel balance weights (in strips) glued inside upper front of cowl for CG. I have not flown her yet due to the Super Tiger ST4500 engine not running inverted reliably enough and to my satisfaction....
I am now re-evaluating my engine options? as at present I do not have much confidence in the ST! maybe either onboard glow for the ST would help her run inverted or maybe I should fit a big gas engine, as then I could also loose some the nose lead...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hurrib2b.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	2213  
Old 04-19-2004, 08:05 AM   #7
BJH424
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX9, Jeti

Hurricane

Marty: Nice looking weathered job. I have had some high speed taxi tests on mine and the US 41 is not giving me the speed I think I'll need. What ever engine you use it should turn a 20x10 prop at 7,000 rpm or better. I'm running a 18x10 at 6500. I think it will fly but only just. I'm looking at a new Quadra 52 as a replacement.

Cheers Brian H.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:48 AM   #8
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Sounds like a G-62 would be perfect for this plane.

Nice looking airplanes, guys!

Your plane looks very realistic, Marty! That prop looks goofy though.
Do you have a scale prop for display? It would probably be worth it on a fine looking airplane like that!!

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #9
Marty C
RCC Expert Contributor

Hurri

Brian and Ron Re- G62, thats the engine that definetely first springs into my mind as the ideal gas engine for the Hurri. I personally have very little experience with gas engines though! the ST 4500 is the biggest prop engine I have yet owned. My previous big engine experiance is limited to Tarten 22cc, ST-2000 and Moki 2.1. The ST 4500 produces awesome thrust I must say but she does not like being inverted, after sustained idle if I open throttle she just dies as the plug seems load up. On board glow may help... I have tried various carb settings, plugs all to no avail?
As I have little gas experiance can anyone suggest what other gas or glow engine options maybe also worth considering for the Hurri? whats the best 60cc + gas engine out there at present? what are the IMAC guy's using???

re- weathering, still a fair bit left to do, plus I have not finished the cockpit either... thought I would leave that till after she has flown. I do have a scale prop in mind for her as well, which I will be adding soon also...
Old 04-19-2004, 12:14 PM   #10
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

I still think the G-62 would be the simplest, best value, most reliable engine for this airplane.
The only negative with the G-62 is the weight, which should not be a problem in this case.
You could get a lighter engine in this size range, but why pay more?
The Zenoah is a proven engine!

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in