Leaning out engine - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss nitro RC vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
newfierc

Total Props: 0
Leaning out engine

I have a new nitro MT2 and ran 16 tanks of fuel through it and want to tune it in better now. How would I know if it is to lean or not lean enough? Also any other tips on tuning it in would be appreciated. Thanks.
newfierc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
brad101
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bradley A

well i reckon that you splice the red wire from the power suply to the blue wire from the throdle servo
--------------------------------------------------
Traxxas Sportmaxx .. TOOO many mods to list

2.2 scale crawler - build started
TLT axles - 4 Link
6 L.E.D headlights
custom truggy tube frame
brad101 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
newfierc

thats has nuthin to do with leaning out an engine
Old 03-31-2005, 08:58 PM   #4
brad101
RCC Junior Contributor

thats the point :P thats the kinda stuff we would get on with when i used tto post on highlifter whyen he had no idea ... maybe its teh tire pressure

TLT axles - 4 Link
6 L.E.D headlights
custom truggy tube frame
Old 03-31-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
newfierc

very good then, i don't mean to be ignerant but maybe you should keep that kinda thing there. Someone may actually think that sometime and end up losing out on money invested in something because of your bad advise.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:10 PM   #6
brad101
RCC Junior Contributor

ummm hmmm now nonestly who in their right mind would try that anyway ... not possable someone will try it .. i dout it would do anything anyway since its already in the circuit

TLT axles - 4 Link
6 L.E.D headlights
custom truggy tube frame
Old 03-31-2005, 09:20 PM   #7
newfierc

well actually someone who don't know better or a child may come across it and if they did cross out something wrong it may fry the circuit. I guess from your point of it its ok to put sugar in gasoline in your car too.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:02 PM   #8
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

To lean out your engine you should turn the high speed needle IN about 1/8 of a turn at a time. After each turn you should run the truck at full throttle up and down the street then bring it back and turn the needle in some more. Stop turning the needle when you notice any ONE of the following conditions:

-the engine stops gaining in performance
-there is no visible smoke coming from the exhaust
-the engine studders at full throttle (this is WAY TOO lean, richen it immediately)

When the engine stops gaining in performance you no longer have the need to lean the engine, so this is where you stop as long as you still see smoke in the exhaust and the engine does not studder at high speeds.

You should be able to see smoke at all times coming from the exhaust. Depending on what fuel you are using, the oil content might be high or not. With high oil content you should see a very visible smoke trail and with low oil content you might only see a little but you should ALWAYS see some smoke, if not it is too lean and you will damage your engine.

If the engine studders, this means it cuts out for a second or less and then runs and cuts and runs and cuts. It is getting way too hot and is way too lean. If this happens you need to richen it up before you continue to run. If you continue to run the engine this way you will surely do damage.

Some people will tune thier engine with a tempurature gauge. The hand held kind give you the most accurate readings when pointed at the glow plug from straight above it. The onboard kind are not so accurate. Tuning by this method requires some previous knowledge of when an engine is too lean or too rich. Once you have tuned your engine for a while you can then start using a temp gauge to check the tempurature. You will then understand the relationship between tuning and tempurature better and be able to tune you next engine this way.

Also if you tune your engine today as an example and then you don't run your truck for a week, you will most likely have to adjust the needle a little. Every day brings different atmospheric conditions. These conditions are what determine if your engine is too lean for that day or too rich for that day. It will change from day to day. What was just right today might be too lean tomorrow.

Hope this helps. Have fun.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:13 PM   #9
treecutter
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris l

too funny brad
Old 04-01-2005, 12:45 AM   #10
newfierc

thanks for the pointers. greatly appreciated.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in