-$138,424 membership fee drop - Page 12 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #111
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12
Re: -$138,424 membership fee drop

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
For the sake of getting this thread back to the original topic, if the numbers are anywhere close to the truth it indicates a loss of ~1725 members.

My guess is that with the availability of "quick to fly" gizmos on the market the average modeller has a whole different approach than the old school guys. Sadly here are a significant number of "one-hit-wonder" flights and the modeller is never to be seen again. I don't know if this is even close. I bought my first plane and had never heard of MAAC.

Saw a couple TV commercials about MAAC, must have got a great deal on the spots at 2:00 AM.
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #112
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 21

I think the good thing Brent is that key guys like Brad are listening and are open to suggestions. Seems to me we have a very strong MAAC executive that are trying hard to do the right things and move the organization forward. We all need to be part of the solution every time a new person comes to the field and asks questions. MAAC should be part of the conversation.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #113
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

I agree Bill, but its like "preaching to the choir". Someone somewhere must have an idea of how many people commit aviation. TC likely has studied the growth pattern. Without some sort of media blurb all the good ideas and intentions are just that.

It is almost like MAAC is a well guarded secret. Any organization that isn't growing is destined for trouble. You know what they call an organization without members? An empty office.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #114
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Can Fly View Post
....if the numbers are anywhere close to the truth it indicates a loss of ~1725 members....
All I saw was total revenue numbers. I still question whether it reports things like three year membership revenue all in the year purchased or if it shows the revenue applied to each year that it is valid for.

If the former the drop in total revenue may mean nothing at all in relation to total member numbers.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #115
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Hi Brent,
The loss of 1725 members is a snap shot in time. It is a representation of a single moment.

Sorry, if i am using terms or analogies of my past careers. It's what I know.

But.... you didn't mention the 1000 new members joining.

So the reduction isn't as bad as it seems. Don't get me wrong, a loss greater than than the increase isn't good.

By current math, MAAC has about 9 to 10 % new member sign ups up front per year. But.... we have about 10 to 11% member fall off of the back each year..

So..... seeing as we have about 11, 500 members. Roughly 10 % new sign ups each year.
In most industries, comping a 10% increase year after year is pretty good.

To me, getting new members isn't MAAC'S problem. The bigger issue in my eyes is retention.
Why are we loosing 10 to 11% per year. Some pass on. God rest their souls.... Some leave for a multitude of other reasons. I am not going to list them... that could go on for a long time.
But !!!!! MAAC does recognize this.

The key is how to keep people from leaving. It's hard to compete with life. But I think the group is up to the task with everyone's help

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #116
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
All I saw was total revenue numbers. I still question whether it reports things like three year membership revenue all in the year purchased or if it shows the revenue applied to each year that it is valid for.

If the former the drop in total revenue may mean nothing at all in relation to total member numbers.
Three year memberships are not all counted in the current year of payment.
The payment is spread across the three years.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Old 04-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #117
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

Thanks Brad, what you speak of is a phenomenon that clubs could track. I have seen a disturbing thing up the road (too far to travel weekly). It seems after todays new pilots become decent at taking off, flying a few circuits and land (without needing to re-glue something) they are left with the feeling that they've accomplished their goal.

I've always felt like I could fly better, or I might have joined the ranks of the disappeared. What I've done is upped my goal. I took part is a couple competitions. I stunk up the place, but it sure did open my eye as to what else can be done with a RC plane.

It takes a certain amount of commitment to stay in the game. I had a look through the Events section on the MAAC web site. The zone where I reside sure is lacking events (yes I realize they probably all are up yet).
Old 04-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #118
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

Brent,

I agree about those entering and exiting almost as quickly.

You said it .... many learn to take off ,fly a few circuits and land. Mission accomplished.
Many people today are caught up in the instant gratification game. It is a great feeling to accomplish something quickly.
But it's always nice to see a person raise the bar. Set a new higher goal to achieve.

That's where I think the ball gets dropped. A person doesn't have the desire to reach higher, or they just don't know or haven't been shown the next steps or level to attain.

Took me quite a few years to fly half descent 3D with my planes. Personally I have been working on rollers. Couple summers LOL.... maybe I am a slow learner

As for events in SK. You are right. Some may not have registered yet. The web site does have some minor teething problems. There may be a bunch of events now planned, but some clubs may be having some trouble getting onto the website. It's a work in progress...

Give Craig a call. He may know of other events not yet listed.

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Old 04-27-2015, 09:58 PM   #119
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

I too found it a challenge to renew my membership. It certainly was not obvious and took a bit of hunting.

On the wings program, our club started up with no wings qualified instructor so no one ever got their wings including myself.

Although I was never officially made Chief Instructor here I became the "go to" guy that ended up training the majority of the new fliers. I suppose I could have, like Brent suggested, gone to another club and made arrangements to get qualified but I didn't. My understanding was that it depended totally on the individual who handed out the qualification what was expected. Some would hand it out on just a verbal acknowledgement that you can fly and some would test you to the N'th degree. With respect to that I never really took the program seriously and would declare students good to go when they could keep the plane in one piece and out of the pits/away from the flight line.

The only restriction we had on any pilot visiting or otherwise was when we felt uncomfortable with what they were doing they were asked to change their behavior or put the plane away. I really think that was the most important regardless of what level in "Wings" they were at.
And trust me it is not easy to walk up to a fellow pilot with more experience and more competent that I am and ask him to "cease and desist". I know, I've had to do it!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:58 AM   #120
VA6WGO
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Will
Radio of choice:
Futaba 32MZ
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Can Fly View Post
Peter, I'm frustrated too! At the moment the TC Act is being reviewed. I would like to think that a MAAC member won't be in the sights of TC when a serious incident happens. I also believe that a lot of people jumping into the hobby these days are ill informed as to how and where it is acceptable to fly.

I also believe MAAC is at the forefront of protecting how we used to participate in the hobby of flight. MAAC has a couple seats where the rubber meets the road (TC Committees), and having those positions should allow our collective voice to be heard, and influence where the future of the hobby could be going.

To this point RC enthusiasts have had it pretty good, don't get close to full scale planes, and don't fly into a cloud. It wasn't going to last forever. With the TC review of the act, it almost equates to a license if you are going to receive any remuneration for a flight. One pre-requisite for a UAV SOFC is proof of training. Who better to do the training tha a well established, long term organization like MAAC.

I doubt HK or many Canadian retailers of RC flight equipment is going to offer training. To date I have only heard (seen) of one RC retailer offering training. Retailer are sure making sure liability isn't going to be coming back on them.
Don't create a rule that no one is going to enforce. The wings program is a suggestion and as good or as bad as it is, at the end is up to the club to either enforce it or not. It is not a "MAAC" thing.

Will
Falcon Props
VA6WGO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in