do airliners cause interference??? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
prefontaine
RCC Contributor

I am: corey p

Total Props: 3
do airliners cause interference???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Im just wondering if anyone knows if airliners can casues radio interference?

I was flying my decathelon yesterday, teaching a buddy how to fly, he had the tx and was doing good. he was coming out of a turn when he said "I dont think I have control anymore" I grabbed the tx from him and tried to save it but it went in hard, narrowly missing a surgeon that was walking through the field.(JK) there was no control what so ever.

i was using a futaba skysport 6 ch radio on 72mhz

there was a plane flying over, he was pretty high up and to the south of us, he didnt go right over us or anything. do you think that is what caused the lock out??

everything was freshly charged and we did a range check before we took off and everything seemed to be ok, the crash happened about 8 minutes into the flight so we had control up until then. that is why I am wondering if airliners can cause a lock out because I could see the plane off in the distance when the decathelon went in.

the decathelon is a total loss, we found the fuel tank about 30 metres away from the wreck.

Corey
prefontaine is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 47
Re: do airliners cause interference???

Full Scale AC use Radios in the VHF(118 - 136MHz) & UHF (300MHz - 3GHz)bands your radio was at 72 MHz - there is plenty of separation here.

My club is located within 10 Km of the Trenton Military Airport, we regularly have overflights of Helicopters, C130 Hercules, F18s and a wide variety of Airliners no problems have ever been attributed to full scale AC.

Keep looking for another reason for your loss. ??:
Old 09-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
VERTOL
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Way back when our TV uses Broadcast Air (no cable service yet), and our house
is along the approach path of an international airport, we get bad TV reception whenever
a big jet approaches and passes by our house. Perhaps there is a beacon which is
transmitted from the plane. FYI Channel 2 - 13 is 54 mHz to 216 mHz and the TV gets
swamped on almost all channels by the passing airplane.
VERTOL is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
prefontaine
RCC Contributor

what about CB radios?? something caused a lock out, I dont think it was someone turning on a tx on the same channel, could have been though who knows..

it does look cool when your plane flys strait into the ground though, sucks to not have it now. sucks even more to not know why, dumb thumbs happen and then at least its your own fault, i just hate the wondering and the what ifs...

Corey
Old 09-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Red face Re: do airliners cause interference???

Whew...I've had every problem you can imagine for crashing....from bad gas to bad plugs, but now I can blame it all on those dang planes in the air.....who'da thought!! LOL
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
b0r3d
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Patrick
Radio of choice:
DX8 & DX3C
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 7

one reason 2.4ghz hasn't failed me yet no matter what the lockout was. Using crystals always has me worried about someone else

My Cars & Trucks
Ken Block WR8 Flux

My Most Wanted
Goblin 500 & 700 | Compass 7HV | T-Rex 550 | Extra 260
b0r3d is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
astrofler
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Al E

I don't see any plane doing it. We have airliners as well as other traffic turning almost over our field on their way to the beacon for Halifax. Never a problem with that.

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
prefontaine
RCC Contributor

we already established that it was not an airliner, if you read the posts above. I didn't know hence why I am asking if an airliner could cause a lock out.

thanks for the replys
Old 09-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
VERTOL
RCC Apprentice

This is not meant to prolong this topic but it got me curious so I did a little bit of reading,
because from my own personal experience TV interference really happens whenever a big airliner lines up for a landing.

Marker Beacons
The approaching airplanes uses ILS which consists of a series of Marker beacons.
The Marker beacons are transmitted at a carrier frequency of 75 mHz w/ a power of
3 watts and it is a series of tones (morse code). My guess is that they (airport) switch
on the beacons only when an airplane is about to land.

Whatever that means, you can see a Frequency near the 72 mHz although the power
is small..but would that cause lockout for a nearby RC receiver? Maybe, maybe not, but
it sure causes TVI.

FYI

Last edited by VERTOL; 09-02-2008 at 08:59 PM.
VERTOL is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #10
mikeyg
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike G

Yeah, they took out all the marker beacons years ago. Apparently there are some still in the US, none here in Canada though. (they'd be always on though) The rest of the ILS system is on the ground at the airport, glideslope beside the runway, and localizer at the far end. Some approaches use NDB's as a fix, but they're 200-415KHz. All this stuff is always on.

I'd be more worried if there was problems there for when I'm on the ILS and someone's flying a rc plane nearby screwing up my instruments I trust those dials with my life down to 200 ft all the time.

As for your TV, I couldn't answer that one. Your TV gets frequecies from 54-60MHz and we have nothing in our planes anywhere near that. Maybe the plane's wake turbulence is moving your antenna outside

Hope you find an answer, Cheers!

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in