Tail rotor problem - HELP! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Copterdr

Total Props: 0
Tail rotor problem - HELP!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey Guys,
I am fairly new to Nitro Heli's and fly a used Century Hawk 3 which I traded up for. Anyway, I am trying to stop this bad boy from spinning counter-clockwise as soon as I pick it into a hover. It went from flying like a dream to all of a sudden this scenario. I have function checked my gyro, servo and range of travel an all seems normal. The tail rotor has some axial play in the grips however. Anyone experienced this before?
Copterdr is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11
Reverse

Hello,

Either your rudder channel has reversed on your transmitter or the gyro
is not functioning properly.
Which gyro are you using?
Is it in rate mode or tail lock mode?
If you push your TX stick right, your tail blades should move to the outside
also

Cassat
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Copterdr

Gyro

Thanks Cassat,

The tail rotor is functioning properly, the gyro is a CSM ICG 180 and it is mounted upside down as per the manufacturers instuctions, the more I read about it, it seems this gyro has gone U/S

Copterdr
Copterdr is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
G-copterbous-funk
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John Appleseed

hi,

That primitive gyro needs the power cycled in order for the new gain settings to take effect. Typically it runs at 25% gain and needs about a 18mm arm for decent rotation rate.

Never mind the instructions as the gyro will mount differently for different radio brands (servos) and tail rotor configurations. Look at the tail and determine which pitch direction moves the nose in what direction. Make sure stick inputs correspond. Then make sure when the helicopter is moved in a right or left yaw physically by hand that the servo does the opposite pitch change at the tail blades. The 180 is a rate gyro so may need slight subtrim, plus the tail blades need some right yaw blade angles at neutral tail rotor stick. It is possible on some machines to mount the tail grips backwards confusing matters when compared to the models' build manual setup directions. Looks closely at the system and think about what is happening will certainly give a better understanding. I have personally screwed up gyro installations by installing and thinking all was correct, it's easy to do.

The CSM 180 pot screw has a habit of snapping off and also a higher incidence of failure compared to other gyros. Sometimes if the board comes un stuck on the internal foam tape all hell will break loose. Maybe peal the decal back and split the case as a last ditch effort.

Stephen.
G-copterbous-funk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
kwm
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Keith M

Total Props: 9
Sounds silly but this drove a friend of mine crazy, check if the belt is twisted the right way.
kwm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:26 AM   #6
G-copterbous-funk
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John Appleseed

Hawks are wire or shaft drive But I've seen what you said on belts many times! Sometimes guys have corrected for it improperly with blade reversal or grip flip trying to make it work.

SB
G-copterbous-funk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in