Truggy and Buggy suggestions for racing. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 10-28-2010, 02:46 AM   #1
imported_ShadowRG
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rob G
Radio of choice:
DX3R Pro
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
Truggy and Buggy suggestions for racing.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm getting into this wonderful hobby/sport of racing RC's. I was wondering what people thought would be a good truggy and buggy to run. Cost effective and parts readily available. I live in London. Thanks

Rob

PS: Just looking for opinions and experiences with racing and longevity.
imported_ShadowRG is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
Michael_Lambert
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mike L

I could be wrong but i found at most races the Losi 8ight Buggy/truggy seems to be the majority, Plenty of Mugen products, hotbodies and Casters... I am pretty sure you could be sure that regardless of what you run their will be a few guys at the race running the same thing that you might be able to get help from during a race.

Other than that, your best bet is to talk to the local shop you deal with and buy whatever they support. Unless you want to be mail ordering your parts and supplies when you need them.
Michael_Lambert is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #3

Total Props: 57
Product support Losi can not be beat, Losi has the best product support.
Cost effective Hot Bodies, The D8 and D8T are simply the best bang for the buck as far as racing kits go.
For someone starting out and assuming they have no equipment at all, the Losi 8 2.0 RTR B or T is simply the best deal out there as you get buggy/truggy, engine, starter box, a decent radio, ignitor, batteries, charger, etc. just add fuel and go, and all this for less than $950.00.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Jamie James
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jamie G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 3PKS
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 2
http://casterracingusa.com/product.p...2&cat=1&page=1

http://casterracingusa.com/product.p...3&cat=1&page=2

Caster makes a great ride too.

More info can be found here

http://www.casterracingusa.com/forum/index.php
Jamie James is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
RCC Contributor

I am: Steve Taylor

I agree with Rui, check out your local hobby shop and see what they carry. As far as Losi parts go they are all over and half the field at races are Losi. The GLORCS series this year is also startin a mentor program at races and would be something you want to participate in being it is your first year racing. You can go to the GLORCS website to get more information in the coming months and or via the posts on this fourm.

Just remember, as competative as racing is for the beginner/veteran always put having fun first espically in your first year and ask questions when ever you need to. You can even PM me if you need questions answered.
007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
tefflawn
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron Ally
Radio of choice:
Z103.5 & Flow 93.5 toronto
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 2
Thumbs up for the $$$ hotbodies

for the money hotbodies is the best way to go strong,durable an handles awesome.
check here www.amainhobbies.com or www.hotbodiesonline.com
Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
imported_ShadowRG
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX3R Pro

Thanks everyone. Thinking its going to be a toos up between Losi and Hot Bodies. I talked to Ron on sunday and he told me all about the Hot Bodies and how reliable they are. Thanks Ron. I don't mind building my own as I have done lots with the ones I have now (monster trucks). I'll let you know what I buy in the future.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
imported_ShadowRG
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX3R Pro

Losi 8ight T it will be.

Well I have looked around. I like both the Hot Bodies truggy and buggy but I'm going with the Losi truggy and buggy. I can get the parts local at both shops and not to far to get parts. Neither hobby shops here in London carry the Hot Bodies line up. They can order them and get parts but don't stock anything for them and they do with Losi. Now I might buy a Hot Bodies for my son to race so we'll see what he'd like. Anymore suggestions would be great. Not getting them till most likely January once new ones come out.

Thanks for the suggestions up to this point.

Rob
Old 11-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
imported_ptv83
RCC Apprentice

Post Tamiya TRF801X/T

i have to agree with the parts availability for losi, Losi parts are everywhere, and for a good reason, half of the top 10 at the world championships were Losi.

I have several Losi upgrade parts on my HPI Vorza (HB D8 based E-Buggy... I regret buying HPI/HB.. poor quality)

I do suggest looking at the Tamiya TRF801X buggy and TRF801XT truggy kits.

Over this past thanksgiving weekend Tom and Abiye were at Muskoka MadtraX and I was majorly impressed with both the 801X and T.
They performed flawlessly and were as durable as tanks.

Seeing how Tom and Abiye are both TRF drivers, i'm not sure what hop-up parts they had on the cars, but there was a few mishaps involving the 50ft front jump at the track and after barrel rolling 70ft through the air they just kept on driving like nothing happened. .... after breaking so many times myself off of it (OK, i do like to try backflips).... it kinda made me go

Cheers, EH!
Phil.

www.MuskokaMadtraX.com

PS. yes on top of the vid's on the site, i have examples of the crashing too on video :P
imported_ptv83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
SANDYM
RCC Contributor

I am: sandy

I would look at the Team Associated stuff. The most durable car that I have owned, there is very little maintenance. Also they are very competitive.
Jconcepts
M2C Racing
VP FUEL
Fastlane Graphix
McIsaac Construction
Remax Georgian Bay
Arbon Electric
Back Hoe Jack's Excavation Service
SANDYM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in