Yikes! LiPo fires are real!!!!..and I'm lucky - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
BPWingN
RCC Apprentice

I am: Peter B

Total Props: 1
Yikes! LiPo fires are real!!!!..and I'm lucky

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, I just purchased 6 LiPos (Nano Tech 2200 3s 35-70c) batteries.
The connectors had to be removed, and EC3 connectors soldered on as EC3s are what I use.
Well, I finished replacing all the connectors and charged the batteries.
So, I'm sitting at the kitchen table with the batteries, needing to put Velcro on the backs of them so they are stable in my aircraft.
I have the first battery lying on the table. I peel the sticky tape off the back of the Velcro piece and place it on the battery. I start applying light pressure to adhere it to the battery.
Then, it happens....I hear a hissing and know immediately what has happened. I run by my wife and her friend who are watching TV with the sizzling, smoking LiPo in my hand.
"The batteries going!" I yell as I toss it on our condo balcony. Realizing it could set the balcony ablaze, I pick it back up and toss it in my wifes planter as it continues to hiss and smoke violently! The amount of smoke pouring out of this thing is staggering. I closed the balcony door so the thick cloud of acrid smoke stayed outside.Good thing the balcony door was open for me to toss it.....and good thing I didn't get burned.

Well, I don't trust any of them anymore, so I'm done with them.
(This is not a comment on NanoTech batteries, but more on me. I'm thinking as I soldered I may have let too much heat travel up the terminal connection making the battery very unstable?)
BPWingN is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22
Re: Yikes! LiPo fires are real!!!!..and I'm lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPWingN View Post
Well, I just purchased 6 LiPos (Nano Tech 2200 3s 35-70c) batteries.
The connectors had to be removed, and EC3 connectors soldered on as EC3s are what I use.
Well, I finished replacing all the connectors and charged the batteries.
So, I'm sitting at the kitchen table with the batteries, needing to put Velcro on the backs of them so they are stable in my aircraft.
I have the first battery lying on the table. I peel the sticky tape off the back of the Velcro piece and place it on the battery. I start applying light pressure to adhere it to the battery.
Then, it happens....I hear a hissing and know immediately what has happened. I run by my wife and her friend who are watching TV with the sizzling, smoking LiPo in my hand.
"The batteries going!" I yell as I toss it on our condo balcony. Realizing it could set the balcony ablaze, I pick it back up and toss it in my wifes planter as it continues to hiss and smoke violently! The amount of smoke pouring out of this thing is staggering. I closed the balcony door so the thick cloud of acrid smoke stayed outside.Good thing the balcony door was open for me to toss it.....and good thing I didn't get burned.

Well, I don't trust any of them anymore, so I'm done with them.
(This is not a comment on NanoTech batteries, but more on me. I'm thinking as I soldered I may have let too much heat travel up the terminal connection making the battery very unstable?)

glad that you are all ok! yikes! You would have to have had the soldering iron on the power leads for a long time for it to travel that far, i suspect something else. i've soldered HUNDREDS of wires on lipos and never heard of this.

Ditch them kind of batteries and go other style another thing you can do is get a flower pot and a base to store them in and in case of emergency throw it into, it will keep the flame under control too!
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
Smokeman
RCC Apprentice

I am: Brian S
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0

Wow...glad you and your condo are ok. Shouldn't have been a tremendous amount of heat soldering on EC3's. Anything strange about how they charged?
Smokeman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #4
BPWingN
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeman View Post
Wow...glad you and your condo are ok. Shouldn't have been a tremendous amount of heat soldering on EC3's. Anything strange about how they charged?
No, not really. I charged them at 1c, .....but after charging I checked voltage with a voltage checker, and 1 battery read 4.21 for all 3 cells. I doubt that would make much difference?
Old 05-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
Smokeman
RCC Apprentice

I am: Brian S
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0

4.21...I know they don't like belong overcharged. Not sure of the accuracy of some of the voltage checkers either. I'll let someone with more experience on the subject chime in.
Smokeman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #6
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

naw 4.21 won't hurt it. When you charged you used a balance charger right ?
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
BPWingN
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
naw 4.21 won't hurt it. When you charged you used a balance charger right ?
Yes. Balance charged.
I think I may have damaged a lead from the battery with a real sharp tug on it by accident as I was soldering. Could that have had any bearing on this?

I am somewhat new to the hobby (last June) and these are the first batteries I have purchased that needed any modification by me.
This has really freaked my wife, and to a lesser extent, me.
I am very careful with charging etc (balance charge with a good charger, only at 1c, )

Be careful, folks.
Oh...and I love the hobby far too much to think about quitting.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

I keep mine inside a big fireproof safe. But I plan to build a larger concrete bunker for the batteries some day. I have a lot of lipos - I mean a lot of them, but never had one go off, and heck never even had one puff during a flight - 95% of them from HK. Just inherited a huge 1200lb jewelers safe I could use, but it is in my house we just inherited in Vancouver and I live in Victoria. Have no idea how to get it to me here. My wife hates and fears the lipos, justifiably.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 AM   #9
IceRain29
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Allan X
Radio of choice:
DX9, V control
# of RCs: 12

You can make an xt60 to ec3 connector. Much easier and much safer.
IceRain29 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #10
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

IF you did not mishandle the pack, then maybe it was a manufacturing defect.

Statistically speaking, it is a very rare occurrence.

Nevertheless, that is another reason to charge/store lipos, especially new ones, in a fireproof container

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in