Hi torque servo - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 09:30 PM   #1
KStation

Total Props: 0
Hi torque servo

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi. I just bought a .60 size 3d plane, my first non .40 size, and need to know some servo info. The instructions call for a higher torque servo for the elevator, but I'm not sure which one, there are so many different servo's. I'm using a Hi-tec flight pack. It doesn't say to get these for the ailerons, would I need them there too?
I don't fly 3d right now, I'm not that good, so would regular 425 servos be o.k.?
This plane is called a Passion 3d, I don't know who makes it, but the kit looks alright , just poor instructions.
Just some questions I need to ask someone. Thanks for any help.

Kevin Station
KStation is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:49 PM   #2

Total Props: 57
Re: Hi torque servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStation
Hi. I just bought a .60 size 3d plane, my first non .40 size, and need to know some servo info. The instructions call for a higher torque servo for the elevator, but I'm not sure which one, there are so many different servo's. I'm using a Hi-tec flight pack. It doesn't say to get these for the ailerons, would I need them there too?
I don't fly 3d right now, I'm not that good, so would regular 425 servos be o.k.?
This plane is called a Passion 3d, I don't know who makes it, but the kit looks alright , just poor instructions.
Just some questions I need to ask someone. Thanks for any help.

Kevin Station
Anything with 80 in-oz will do nicely.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
2thelmt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ID

Try running a 6volt batt, torque and speed will improve. This way you won't need to buy more servos. I run 6V, and standard servos on my .60 sized ships with good results. Both my Funtana, and Twist run 6V high capacity packs. My Staudacher .90 uses the same with the exception of a high torque servo on the rudder-Great knife edge (but not needed)
Ian
Old 11-28-2004, 09:59 AM   #4
salty morgan

Re: Hi torque servo

hi kevin, how have you been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStation
here is a link,
http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/Passion3D_55.htm

morgan
salty morgan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:58 AM   #5
KStation

Thanks for the link Salty! That's it!
I think I'll try the 6v battery, but I'm still not sure about all the different servos and where to use what. Are the hi-torque ones bigger than a standard? What's different between digital and standard servos?

Kevin
Old 11-28-2004, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
but I'm still not sure about all the different servos and where to use what. Are the hi-torque ones bigger than a standard?
Not usually, you can get pretty high torque servos in a standard size case....usually up to 150 ish in-oz. From there it varies depending on manufacturer.

Quote:
What's different between digital and standard servos?
Check out this article by Futaba...

http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/digitalservos.pdf
Old 11-28-2004, 09:25 PM   #7
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Chad

Don't you think 80 in/oz servos in a 60 size plane a little over kill? Hes not going to be using it for competition or even 3D as he said in his post!

About 6 or 7 years back I flew a Goldberg Super Chipmunk using a Saito 91 and only used standard Hitec servos, the older HS300's. That was a very nice aerobatic plane and it really got wrung out and I never had a problem with the servos or found them lacking! I flew it for three summers and finally sold the plane.

Two summers ago now, I had a Sig Cap 231EX and all it called for in servos was 70in/oz range. The plane was 73" span and weighed about 12 lbs all up weight! Here I used Hitec HS605BB servos.

My personal opinion is that if you have the HS425BB servos already then
use them! No need to even consider digitals in that plane unless you don't know how to spend your money fast enough!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:28 PM   #8
KStation

Thanks for the servo article Chad. I appreciate all the input guys!
Old 11-28-2004, 09:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Chad

Don't you think 80 in/oz servos in a 60 size plane a little over kill? Hes not going to be using it for competition or even 3D as he said in his post!
Nope not at all. Sure it will fly fine with probably standard servos but you have more potential for flutter, blow back, servo failure due to higher stress, less precision movement, less predicatable movement etc etc.....

Servos are fairly inexpensive today, so why not put larger servos in?
Old 11-28-2004, 10:06 PM   #10
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Thanks for the reply Chad

I have always been of the opinion that one should use the best servo that you can afford but even here, it would depend on what type of flying I was going to be doing!.

I was just thinking that, as he said in his post, he wasn't going to be doing 3D and I asumed that his flight pack was with the 425BB servos and that he was hoping to be able to use them seeing that he already had them. I felt that under the circumstances, the 425 ball bearing servos would be fine for the way he plans on flying the plane and it would save him some money! Maybe I asumed too much!

Don't get me wrong here. I have no problem using high torque servos on any plane. My IMAC plane this year was a Midwest Giles 202 with 73 in span and a Saito 1.80. Here I used HS 5645MG Digitals with 143 in/oz torque. I wanted the digitals for precision, holding power and torque for competition aerobatics. But just for sport flying, I probably wouldn't have used the digitals in this plane!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in