spending winter in the garage - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

View Poll Results: Would you drive to Innisfil to race carpet track?.
Yes 11 57.89%
No 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 10:41 PM   #1
chuckster

Total Props: 0
spending winter in the garage

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
i am moving at the end of the month. my house has an apt in the basement which means that my workshop will now bw located in a detached garage. there is no heat as of now... but im sure i can get one... so my question is, do you work in your garage and do u buuild during the winter or do you close up shop till the spring and get all your building done before the snow..... if i close up shop for hte winter, how do planes fair in the cold? electronics would be stored in the main house...
chuckster is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:43 PM   #2
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20
I guess you could work in an unheated garage. Get a space heater to take the chill off but be careful with fumes of whatever you might be doing when you use the heater.

Don't know why Jason won't activate the "delete this post" button.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:41 PM   #3
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

A garage would be nicer in the Spring and Summer....but in the winter, it is used for keeping the vehicles out of the elements..

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-23-2005, 12:10 AM   #4

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by nony
A garage would be nicer in the Spring and Summer....but in the winter, it is used for keeping the vehicles out of the elements..
NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is why the vehicles are painted they are meant to be outside. I have a 2 bay hanger and no cars are allowed inside. Its heated with an overhead 30,000 btu gas heater and I use it all winter long. Next year I am hoping to have AC installed. After that a new garden shed out back so I can get the wifes lawnmower and other garden and yard equipment out of my hanger.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
wise guy
RCC Junior Contributor

Notice to prop worn

Whoo does Jan know she has a lawnmower? Looks like you might need a bed in the garage just in case she she finds out about it. Ill never tell he he !!!!
wise guy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:17 PM   #6

Re: Notice to prop worn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise guy
Whoo does Jan know she has a lawnmower? Looks like you might need a bed in the garage just in case she she finds out about it. Ill never tell he he !!!!
Yep Orval bought it for her as an anniversary gift last year and this year she got a expensive hedge trimmer nice and light just so she would not get tired when using it.

Dennis
Old 07-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #7
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Just last week I finally got the garage cleaned out and started to move my airplane stuff out to there. Getting the benches and shelves setup as well. First I had to build a 8 X 12' shed in the back yard to accomodate all the stuff we never use but might need someday...lol.

This will be a whole new world for me. I have been using a tiny room only 8 X 10 ft as a work shop. Hardly enough room for my tools let alone all my airplane stuff! Now the garage is 10 ft wide by 18 ft long with lots of potential for storage in the rafters, loft and shelf areas.

I am putting a 4' X 8' table for building on one side, and a bench that is 3' high 24" wide and 8' long on the other side for my power tools: Bandsaw, drill press, grinder, belt sander, and scroll saw. I will have a seperate small bench only 4' long in the rear for my charging station and soldering table! There will be shelves over each bench for the tools and supplies needed for each station. Should be an very nice setup.

Propworn: Where did you get the natural gas heater for your garage? Does it hang off the ceiling? The location in my garage where I plan on putting one is just about 5' and through the wall to the gas meter on the outside of the garage so it would be not too difficult to get a gas man to do the plumbing to bring the piping into the heater.

I can finally get to doing some serious building this winter. Its nice to have the tools needed to do the jobs you have but how sweet to finally have the room for everything!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7
Heat

I'm in the midst of building a 20x40 steel garage; half will be garage (wife insists, I agree) the other half shop. I will be building a HAHSA system, hot water heated by firebox behind the shop, burns wood waste (there is a mill a couple of miles away). I will raise the floor using 2x6 joists, sand in between, poly pipe for the water. A 20-minute fire at 5pm will keep it warm until after midnight, according to the locals who use the system. I have so many projects waiting (models, furniture, cars etc) that I cannot afford to take winters off, yet I'm too old to take the cold anymore...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:27 AM   #9

Gary yes it hangs from the ceiling and it is basicly 0 clearance from the ceiling. 4 inch vent and the size is about 13 inches thick by 24 by 24. I bought it from a local contractor and had it installed. Took them about 2 hours and all up cost was 1200 bucks and worth every cent.

http://www.eccohtg.com/links/Product...%20Heaters.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace1_168.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	10231   Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace2_519.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	10232  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in