Newbie looking for a RTF T. rex 450 - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #21
tporter416
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX12
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 13
Re: Newbie looking for a RTF T. rex 450

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Phoenix is a good flight simulator for heli's while learning. I agree with Don, a smaller heli for your first will save you a fortune. I learned on an mcpx, which they don't make anymore, and crashed it a ton of times. Just took off again as it was usually fine. I have a 450X, usually at least $60 - $70/crash. Since the mcpx is gone, a nano cpx is a great way to go.

Tom
SAB Goblin Kraken, SAB Goblin 500, SAB Goblin 420, Oxy 2, 180 Fusion, mCPX BL, mCPX BL2, nano CP S, Freewing F-14, FMS Rafale, Freewing F-5N, Freewing BAE Hawk, FMS F-18, A-10, GP Super Sportster, P-39, Spitfire Mk.IX 1200mm, Dogfighter, FMS F-35, FW F-18, E-Max 250 Quad
tporter416 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #22
mannyh
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Manny h
Radio of choice:
Vbar Touch
# of RCs: umm

Total Props: 1

So I think I'll chime in too.
Having learned to fly back in the 80s with archaic equipment and virtually no local heli knowledge, My advice is buy the very best equipment you can, put a simulator in your budget and above all else find some local help. This support in setup and coaching you through the learning curve is invaluable !
My personal opinion is to not try to learn on less than a 450 size. (everyone has an opinion)

An awesome hobby this is, with lots of awesome people on this forum here, as well as at our flying fields across the country.

Spring is just around the corner and another great summer of flying and having fun awaits those who are willing to pull some collective pitch !

Go for it !
Old 02-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #23
Crazycaper
RCC Apprentice

I am: Trevor
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S19FF-3D-6CH...item35d1a7f9e4
This is what I ended up going with fellas I think it a hausler even though it doesn't say it.
I'm just hoping that the PC connector cable comes with it to setup the radio.
I've seen a lot of folks do a build and fly on these clones and there seems to be a lot of compatable parts out there if you bust it. I do understand even though it says ready to fly there is a ton of stuff too look over and check before even thinking about connecting a battery.
Doing lots research, thanks for all the help folks.
Cheers
Crazycaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #24
twistedge
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Ed
Radio of choice:
DX8, NX8
# of RCs: ½

Total Props: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Just a question, do you feel 100% comfortable putting a 450 into the hands of a total helicopter beginner and saying to him, yup, this is what you need, go for it and have fun? Just askin'?
I feel it's important to note that any 450 size CP is big enough to hurt someone... It's not a scary machine, but it's got enough power to get away from a novice in a hurry. Personally, I would not be comfortable with a total beginner taking one off the ground anywhere near me.

A simulator is worth its weight in gold. Just remember, as a beginner, your skill on the simulator will far exceed your skill in real life. Part of that is confidence and part is experience. It just takes a little time to bring them together.

I'm also a fan of the micros... they're tough little birds and they definitely help on the experience side, especially for orientation. The stock CP micros tend to be a bit underpowered... making it hard for novices to learn 3D... but they're great for things like nose in hovers, piros, etc.. (You're in a good place if you can hover a Nano CPx facing you in your living room).
twistedge is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #25
Crazycaper
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba

I'm also a fan of the micros... they're tough little birds and they definitely help on the experience side, especially for orientation. The stock CP micros tend to be a bit underpowered... making it hard for novices to learn 3D... but they're great for things like nose in hovers, piros, etc.. (You're in a good place if you can hover a Nano CPx facing you in your living room).[/QUOTE]

I d like to note that I have logged so many hrs on my mini quad copter that I got two motors wore out. I know I'm not an expert but I feel confident taking on a 450 as a mature member of society I have respect for the hobby and the huge learning curve that it entails.
I'm going to get a good kit copter in time as money allows but for now I would like to learn everything I can on a cheapo and all,it's complexities.
In terms of stick control I am putting most of my time with forward facing flying or nose in as this seems to present the most challange. The micos are quirky, and require constant trimming, I feel this should be a lot easier on a helicopter with proper servos and a radio with proper throttle curves on the pitch and collective,etc.etc. I did make the right move and buy a good radio and I have a lipo charger, batteries from my other addiction my slash 4x4.
Thanks folks.
Love the input keep,it coming I'm all ears.

Cheers.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 AM   #26
craneman32
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: StewartW
Radio of choice:
Dx7s
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 12

Sure. Why not? The most important thing is that It's up to the end user to seek the proper assistance and guidance. This is the place to get it. That's what we are here for. I'd recommend anyone who has basic micro skills to jump to a 450 class. Baby steps. Training gear. Proper radio setup/training. Joining a club. Meeting a buddy. Etc. with the right guidance a person with ZERO experience can start with a 800 if they wanted to. The beautiful thing about electric is customization options. Endless!

There are 10 year olds that makes veterans look like rookies! Just sayin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedge View Post
I feel it's important to note that any 450 size CP is big enough to hurt someone... It's not a scary machine, but it's got enough power to get away from a novice in a hurry. Personally, I would not be comfortable with a total beginner taking one off the ground anywhere near me.

A simulator is worth its weight in gold. Just remember, as a beginner, your skill on the simulator will far exceed your skill in real life. Part of that is confidence and part is experience. It just takes a little time to bring them together.

I'm also a fan of the micros... they're tough little birds and they definitely help on the experience side, especially for orientation. The stock CP micros tend to be a bit underpowered... making it hard for novices to learn 3D... but they're great for things like nose in hovers, piros, etc.. (You're in a good place if you can hover a Nano CPx facing you in your living room).
Blade 130X
craneman32 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #27
jcvbennett
RCC Apprentice

I am: John B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SGH
# of RCs: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
well, all in all, he should invest in a simulator first, get the basics done. then move to a heli. I would never recommend anyone a 130x they are junk!
Listen to Dash - his advice has saved me more than once I bought a Blade 300X and it is a piece of crap. Now have a Goblin 700C and a Trex 550E Pro DFC and love them both and can't pretend to compare the Blade to either one. You truly get what you pay for!

I wouldn't go under the 450 size unless it is always dead-calm where you live or you'll be fighting the cyclic full time instead of learning to fly. Absolutely use the sim and be safe! For Align I use alignrccdn.com with great service and super fast shipping! Prices were better than rq too!
jcvbennett is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:22 AM   #28
Crazycaper
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Thanks for the heads up, I bought a used titan e325 and the fella set up my radio for me. I'm taking it in baby steps and spent an afternoon in my garage practicing staying inside a small box while spinning and moving forwards backwards and basically getting use too getting her real light on the skids
I was outside for one flight and it was a tad winding so I now exactly what you mean but I was up hovering around and when I landed I was a bit too much tail low and broke the plastic slider on the tail section . Not a big deal I have a new gyro with heading hold that gonna pair up with a good mks digital tail servo.
I'm also putting super skids on her and an aluminium tail section as well some training gear maybe not a fan of training gear. I am building up my 450v2 hausler as well as a backup when things break.
So far love the titan it flies real nice like balancing a ball on a pencil as they say.
Cheers
Trevor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in