RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 02:57 PM   #11
Newbie flyer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Brad B

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have never been to Toledo and it was my first Hobby Show. I can honestly say that I won't be back! I found it very disappointing. I thought that there would be more venders there. Very small turnout for the price of admission. I have gone to woodworking shows that charge less to get in and have 3 times as much stuff to look at.

I did however get a real deal on a transmitter tray from Hobby Hobby. $15.00. I guess I saved the price of admission. It would have been nice to know the schedule for the shootout before hand. I couldn't find it anywear on the website.

Brad

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #12
tech1
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2
I knew what to expect and still was disappointed!

Some yutz advertised scrapbooking so I brought my wife. Who is the idiot that figures having one booth constitutes a presence??????? Now she is ticked at wasting her time. (I should have gone solo)

I started going in the early 80's when it really was a SHOW. Now it is nothing more than a quick shopping trip. I only go every few years. The ticket price is not an issue. I am looking for the WOW factor and it just isn't there.

On the positive side, I did see a few old friends and picked up my micro heli as planned.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #13
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Well just got home from Toronto judging the Shootout

YOu all then should have that didnt... you missed alot of good freestyle flying

Great job also to RCcanada lyrker Matteo.. did a heck of a job you did to get 3rd place doing it by borrowing another person airplane in the finals

Randy

Old 11-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #14
tech1
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2
Congrats Matteo.

Looks like I picked the wrong time to go down!
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:20 PM   #15
orenda635
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mike P

Picked up a Hitec Optic 6 for a good deal. About time I got a computer radio. Got a couple of dicast models too.

They didn't seem to have as much this year. I did enter the draw for the Duster. Wish me luck on that one.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:43 PM   #16
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
I found it very disappointing.

I went Friday night rite after work and while there wasn't much of a crowd there also wasn't that much to see.

Like mentioned above... no plastic guys and only one train layout. Now I have been a plastic modeler in the past and still like to see how far that hobby has progressed and see some highly detailed aircraft models, even if they don't fly .

I also can appreciate the amount of work that goes into the making of a fine model train layout. The attention to detail is what I appreciate as my handle "scaleguy" suggests. But this year one stinking layout.

Even the R/C models on display, 5 of them, 4 where submitted by one guy! Now they were nice models but in the past there have been usually closer to 3 or 4 dozen airplanes of all kinds to look at.

I went looking for Hitec servos only to discover basically one place selling and then their "show prices" were exactly the same as their prices in the latest MAAC Mag and seeing as they were selling in Ontario we had to pay GST & PST so no bargain there.

Yes Hobby Hobby is always good to stock up on Monokote at their prices and kits were being discounted but I also was going for the wow factor not just to shop.

Car guys seemed to have a bigger presence, at least hobby store wise.

Oh well I will probably go again next year anyways, alive with the hope that some of missing exhibitors and vendors will return.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:47 PM   #17
orenda635
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mike P

The cars are becoming hugely popular. Hobby Hobby had a lot of stuff but he's not cheap. There where plastic models there but not many. The Hobby Show is more of a big hobby shopping mall instead of a place to show things off.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:12 PM   #18
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 2

I went there all 3 days, i was very dissapointed the way this show is turning down hills , it seems that its more and more becoming commercial vendors show rather then hobby permothing show as it used to be few years ago!, all there were 5-6 rc aircrafts on display verses dozens like in past, no more Plastic modelling clubs since Ted Curl wanted to charge them for hyrdo and in big bucks....i was surely dissapointed with lack of hobby promotion.

Sammy
Old 11-07-2005, 05:43 AM   #19
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
You all complaining that there was not enough airplanes on display.. so then why did you not bring yours then?

Randy
Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 AM   #20
hancop
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Peter H

Well I went to the hobby show to buy a small electric and was really dissapointed that the retailers did not have all the components to make a working plane. For instance they only had a few electric motors and no ESC's. Therefore I decided not to buy any plane stuff. On the other hand I really liked the SCX digital slot cars and ended up buying those instead. Unfortunately the manufactur of those did not put instructions in with any of the sets, as I went back again on Saturday thinking my set just missed out on the instructions, only to find out that all sets did not have them. Therefore I now have the track setup and can drive the cars, but can't use most of the features as I have no instructions.

The SCX retailers and the wholesaler really had no inventory at the show. I would like to see much more inventory as I was prepared to purchase many of the addons. I think that if the dealers are going to hold a demonstration they should have inventory so those who are interested can purchase the product.

I would have to agree with most of the people so far in that the deals were not there this year. Last year hobby hobby sold Tritons for $119, OS 46AX for $119 and OS91II surpass for $269. I know these prices as this is what I bought them for last year. This year they were $144, $129 and $289.

The main draw for the hobby show for me was the great deals there has been in the past. I was somewhat disappointed with the deals this year and as such chose not to buy any plane items, as I feel I can get them for the same price or cheaper in the case where I order them from outside Ontario, and don't have to pay the PST.

Cheers
hancop is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in