General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1
Re: Another Scam

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The suffix at the end of for South Africa is '.za' - much like '.ca' indicates Canada - the fact that it uses the words TelkomSouthAfrica.anything does not mean it is in SouthAfrica. Telkom there is about the same orginization as Bell here. Many people that I correspond with there have 'telkom' as their server, like 'sympatico' here. The fact that it is '.com' indicates to me that it is more likely in this part of the world, guys. In fact, '.cogentco' strikes me as more likely the St Catherines area. Sorry.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
Glenn Nigh
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Glenn N
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 9

I'm using a server, Vaxxine, out of St. Catharines On. and we all received the same letter . It caused a lot of trouble for them till it got straightened out. The suffix was 'se'
Glenn
Glenn Nigh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
Applehoney
RCC Contributor

I am: Jim M

Total Props: 15

I received today an essentially similar message supposedly from Look Communications, my internet/email server.
Applehoney is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #14

Total Props: 57

Unless an e-mail carries an actual virus load, and your anti-virus detector is loaded with the update file that contains the signature for the virus, your AV won't pick it up.

Scam e-mails are just e-mails. If the perp at the other end wants to load your system with a virus or a back-door, they'll have a link on the page and try to convince you to click on it. If they're trying to get your banking or credit card information, the link will be to their bogus collection site.

My basic rule is that if it's not from someone that I know, it gets deleted. Items that may or may not be worth reading get looked at under the RMC-Properties viewer and then Message Source to look at the entire code. ()5 of what I look at gets immediately tossed into the dumpster. The stuff that claims to be from my bank gets added to my for4warding rule that sends e-mails to "phishing@bank.com".

BTW, if your own bank does not have a phishing e-mail box that ties in with their network security team, get on their cases and ask for the correct address.

The bank that I deal with has warm bodies that get the e-mail and WILL handle the e-mail.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #15
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
Item is sold Re: Another Scam

I have never received a phishing email that suggests I'm Canadian.
I generally operate under a false ID that points to the states.
(unless, of course, I'm buying or selling something, that would be fraud)

Easier to protect myself then.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in